the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing.

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 25th, 2013, 6:00 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/arts/video-games/super-mario-3d-world-could-make-the-wii-u-popular.html?ref=arts&_r=1&

Read the entire article before commenting please. It is not too long, and probably the best gaming article you will read all year.

I have to say, I agree. Obviously there are 'a lot' of great games that have been released this year, but Mario is heads and shoulders above. I like how the article rips Ryse for its repetitive nature as well, SUCH a stark contrast between that game and Mario 3D World.

And lets face it, that gulf represents the entire AAA industry today.

How many stagnant yearly cinema heavy franchises are there now? Cause that's all that's left. This generica, no matter how high the production values, will stunt the industry. Especially because suddenly MS especially is really pushing bastard microtransactions in full price, big budget games. It is quickly becoming the worst of all possible worlds.

Right now creativity in gaming resemebles a strip mining operation.

Say what you want about Nintendo, but if they go down, I will go down with them, there is no where else to turn anyway. The West is paving paradise, but I know what I got before it is gone. You can keep the parking lot, I am not stupid, or complacent.

I cannot stand game culture today, it is depressing and demeaning. Never will I join it.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 26th, 2013, 11:57 am

The article does praise Super Mario 3D World relative to the offerings on the PS4 and XboxOne, citing thatvlaunch lineups often don't thrill as much as one would hope. The author also notes that the WiiU also suffered from a less than thrilling launch lineup. The author does not share your disatisfaction for story telling. Instead he praises GTAV and Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, among others, as also being excellent games. In fact he says that the gameplay of SM3D World is enhanced and made cathartic by grafting on a storyline about the beleagured but empowered princess peach. How about those mushrooms.

The thrust of the article is not that SM3D World is head and shoulders above the rest, but for the first time the set of best recent video games include a game only available on the WiiU, while the others are on the now last gen PS3 and Xbox360 instead of the spiffy new ones. As you wrote read the whole article, and the last three paragraphs say that this is the WiiUs only great game, it alone is not enough, and if the WiiU is your only console you are missing out on the rest of the years best.

Still, it is good news for the WiiU, and more great games are likely coming to it in time. Just do not read praise of this most excellent game as damnation for all the rest. For some cheery WiiU news, just to show that the world is not gunning for Nintendo, check out forbes making a good case for the WiiU being the best gaming consoles for families...good games, good price, great for parents to game with kids or siblings to game together, and even a good reason for the tablet controller as a way for one person to keep gaming while the other can watch tv. The article is forbes, 5 reasons why you should by a WiiU.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 26th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Ok. But it's probaby the ONLY game worth playing on the Wii U, and the console has been out for a year! 

Also, the Ratchet & Clank series (aside from All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault) smokes all the Mario 3D games. You just like those games because it's made by Nintendo game and has the middle-aged, overweight plumber in it. You're clearly biased. 

The truth is... without Zelda, Nintendo is nothing. And until there's a decent NEW Zelda game (not a remake), the Wii U is going to sit on store shelves and collect dust. 

Happy Holidays! 

Love,

The Warrior  

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » November 26th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Weekend_Warrior, your post makes it seems like you hate Nintendo, and thus, you are just as biased as Steer. The hypocrisy of your post is appalling.

Steer, when will you ever just admit that Microsoft and Sony make good games as well? True, Nintendo makes the best games, but they're not the only company that makes good games.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 26th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Well they have only sold 150 000 in the UK so no one can play games on this games system in the UK.  As I said I am sitting on the fence for this generation.  Okay there are a quite a few games out there now but apart from the cute ones there are not really any classics on offer yet.  How about an update of Cruisin USA.  Now that it a title that would get me to get a Wii U.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 26th, 2013, 8:41 pm

[QUOTE=LoganRuckman]Weekend_Warrior, your post makes it seems like you hate Nintendo, and thus, you are just as biased as Steer. The hypocrisy of your post is appalling.

Steer, when will you ever just admit that Microsoft and Sony make good games as well? True, Nintendo makes the best games, but they're not the only company that makes good games.[/QUOTE]

Did 'steer' write this article? I doubt it, its the NY Times....

Ryse: Son of Rome is probably the most enjoyable game exclusive to the Xbox One, and it’s a trashy, repetitive romp that plays, in ways both good and bad, like a violent version of Simon, the color-matching memory toy introduced in 1978. The games that can be played only on the PlayStation 4 are even weaker. The star attraction there is Resogun, a reimagining of the 1980s arcade shooter Defender that’s terrific fun and impossible to employ as a justification for a $400 console.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 26th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Again I think Steer is doing himself a huge disservice not to listen to IGN's Nintendo podcast (NVC).  This week's show was just about Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World.  The terribly biased people who hate Nintendo and sell out to nothing but Microsoft there described the games as "freaking joyous," the most fun they've had in years, and said that when they heard Reggie say the next gen lineups were "meh" they were put off, but have realized that, yeah, right now the best games on the market, by far, are two Nintendo games.  They spend nearly a whole hour just praising these two games over and over again in every manner possible.  

Anyway, if you're looking for some big Nintendo love like you believed was in this article, I'd check out the one titled "A podcast between worlds" over here:
http://feeds.ign.com/ignfeeds/podcasts/wii/

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » November 26th, 2013, 11:38 pm

I just made a thread talking about how I like how this place seems removed from fanboyism.  However, there are some fanboy like posts here in this thread.  I don't know why you are saying that Mario 3d World is only game from a new console worth playing this year.  True it is absolutely the highest rated game this year on the new consoles on gamerankings or metacritic.  But to say both the PS4 and Xbox one have absolutely nothing worth playing is absurd.  True many of their games are multiplatform, but I can think of a few on both systems I want to play.  Keep in mind I own none of the three new systems currently, because of my limited budget though.   However, i highly doubt that out of the dozens of games from Xbox one and PS4, not a single one is worth playing at all. 

After that I noticed some replies attacking Nintendo saying Mario 3d World is the only game worth playing on the system.  Again, I don't own this system yet either but i can think of several games on the Wii U I would want to play.  Can we stop these fanboy battles please?  I just find this kind of stuff mind numbing. All systems have their good and bad.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 27th, 2013, 4:40 am

I admit I am confused by the responses so far.

I post a NY Times article, and you suggest I go listen to an IGN podcast? I cannot stand IGN, and I do not give them page hits very often. Also even if I liked their writing or editorial content, their site is an add infested mess. They are the ass end of game journalism. I do not have the patience to watch their videos or reviews for more than 10 seconds. No thanks.

As far as fanboyism? What? The topic title is ripped directly from the article. This guy is not a Nintendo fanboy. He is critiquing the ENTIRE state of the game industry, and saying the ONLY next gen game worth buying is Mario 3D World. That's it. I think some of you are a  little too insulated from the rest of the world, in regards to how people view video games.  Games right now are largely a violent, uncreative mess. They are below comic books in regards to their story telling ability. No one respects games.

This guys compares the gamenplay in Ryse to SIMON the toy. Obviously that game is being sold SOLELY on brutal cinematic violence. That is a damning example of the cultural rot in gaming.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 27th, 2013, 6:04 am

To be fair the PS4 and XBone have only been out a week, it's took a year for the Wii U to get its top rated game. Metal Gear Solid is due along soon and they are always great.

Return to “Video Games General”