LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Zenzerotron

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Zenzerotron » August 27th, 2006, 5:45 pm

You heard it right Ladybug fans(which would probly only be myself and Alienblue), the Atariage homebrew of "Ladybug" is finally available for the 2600.

I'm totally geeked!. Between this, Astar, and Castle Wolfenstein, this has been the best-ever year for 2600 homebrews!

Alienblue

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Alienblue » August 28th, 2006, 5:29 am

Gee, and it only took them fourteen years to finally get it out!
(I still have the catalogs from '82!) ...Zen, do you know if there are any reviews on this so I can know what it contains or doesn't (i.e., the veggies, doors, 10 levels etc...)-otherwise
I'll wait for you to tell me how good/bad it as as usual! (The artwork on this game was so good I actually had a crush on the girl floating in the bubble! (: ) Course that was a lonng time
before DOA beach volleyball!

Omegamatrix

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Omegamatrix » August 28th, 2006, 6:50 am

I've tried Ladybug, and was very impressed. The conversion makes the best out of the 2600 limitations and was very well done. There is a nice title screen, and the gameplay is great. Note you can't see where the doors are in the screenshots as they use very subtle flicker.

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k317/omegamatrix/Ladybug1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k317/omegamatrix/Ladybug2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k317/omegamatrix/Ladybug3.jpg[/IMG]

Alienblue

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Alienblue » August 28th, 2006, 11:47 am

Thanks for the screenshots Omega! It is immidiately obvious that the programmer used the Coleco MOUSETRAP as a starting point! It looks fine; that just leaves -how does it control, how is the sound and does SPECIAL give points, free game or the special harvest screen (impressive, the INTV did not even HAVE the "special", and the sprite graphics look BETTER here! So sad how Coleco trashed their INTV games!)

Zenzerotron

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Zenzerotron » August 28th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Well Alienblue, those screen shots are ripped from LadyBug's page at the Atariage store....how does it look to you?

I've only played Ladybug once in my life, on a friend's Colecovision back in the early 80's. All I recall is, I really loved it. Of course, maybe I really played Mouse Trap(does that game ever stink on 2600!). All I know is, I can't get enough Pacman style games!.

I *think* this game was programmed from the ground up, I don't believe this was a case of somebody finishing&polishing up an uncompleteted prototype from Coleco, but I might be wrong.

Alienblue

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Alienblue » August 28th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Well, Zen, I played approximately 110,778,990,662.3 games of ladybug, but that's conservative.
The screen mazes sure LOOK like the VCS Mousetrap! AND when you figure Mousetrap also has "doors", ...well maybe it's coincidence, but the familiarity is eerie. The maze itself is the only bad-looking thing. The CV version was about 93% exact to the coin-op. The ladybug is supposed to be eating flowers which appear as tiny "x's" in CV/coin-op/INTV. The dashes are pretty flat and skinny substitutes. Colors did NOT change on the original. Also, For SPECIAL the coin-op gave you a free game; obviously this would be silly at home so Colecovision gave you a special harvest screen full of veggies-even though the CV colors are flat compared to arcade, the harvest more than makes the CV the BEST version. Still-gotta have 'em all! I never ordered VCS WOLF, but THIS I AM ORDERING ASAP!!!! (:

Zenzerotron

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Zenzerotron » August 29th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Maybe you are thinking of another version, but Moustrap for 2600 looks nothing like this, IMHO. Mousetrap has tiny little cramped mazes that barely take up the screen and they just plain look&play like crap.

The fact that there's "-" instead of dots/x's.........I believe this is a techincal limitation of the 2600 that simply cannot be overcome. Each and every maze-game I own has "-" instead of dots.

The other features you listed are in the game, the "extra" stuff and the "special" stuff.

Didn't buy Wolfenstein yet?? Well, your loss buddy

Alienblue

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Alienblue » August 29th, 2006, 12:36 pm

I'll order wolfie with this after the first, I had a tight $ month and I got Pokemon Trozei...Well, no, ALIEN is a 2600 pac man game with little dot-like squares (the arcade PAC MAN "dots" are actually tiny squares too, you know!), and I'm sure the 2600 could do "x's" it's just five tiny squares stuck together (Math Gran Prix is an "Educatinal" maze game with "X's")....but probably there was not enough memory left to do anything but dashes. It doesn't matter, the INTV ladybug looks like crap and I still love to play THAT too! Zen, you really should get a Colecovision with Ladybug it's VERY common, plus CV does maze games so well!-Mouse trap, Pepper 2, Mr.Do!, and on and on. Don't have a CV? Well, your loss bud.
P.S. PAC MAN collection is coming to CV too! Check out
www.coleconation.com !

Omegamatrix

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Omegamatrix » August 29th, 2006, 9:09 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Well Alienblue, those screen shots are ripped from LadyBug's page at the Atariage store....how does it look to you?

I've only played Ladybug once in my life, on a friend's Colecovision back in the early 80's. All I recall is, I really loved it. Of course, maybe I really played Mouse Trap(does that game ever stink on 2600!). All I know is, I can't get enough Pacman style games!.

I *think* this game was programmed from the ground up, I don't believe this was a case of somebody finishing&polishing up an uncompleteted prototype from Coleco, but I might be wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Actually no, these screenshots were done by myself through screen capture in Z26, and I hosted the images. I didn't rip off anyones images (well except of course the original author, whose game we are promoting here). I found the gameplay to be good, but a little too easy. Perhaps the difficulty increases later. I only had a little time to play it.

@Zenzerotron I'm not saying you are calling me a thief, I'm just making sure everyone knows where the images came from. It's all good.

Zenzerotron

LADYBUG for 2600!!!!

Postby Zenzerotron » August 30th, 2006, 2:30 pm

"ripped" means stolen?? I thought "ripped" just meant "taken".

I have this incredible talent for offending people unintentionally lately.............

Yes Alienblue, there's "Alien" with real dots. However, those dots wiggle around, don't take up much of the maze, and are in weird placment patterns. I'm guessing if you tried to make real dots in Pacman/Ladybug/Mousetrap, you'd be stuck with wiggly unstable things too. Saying the dots are  living moving"eggs" in Alien is probly a techincal cop-out, cuz you couldn't display stable/still little dots to take up a whole maze. I'm sure it's the same reason why in Millipede/Centipede, you get squares that you can simply pass through, cuz it's really just more background pretending to be sprites.

Return to “Classic Gaming”