Game culture hits another low - the 2013 Spike VGX awards.

General and high profile video game topics.
Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 9th, 2013, 4:04 am

I would say to Steer if you do not like these shows do not watch them.  I watched last years one and thought never again as it was full of corporate BS.   

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 9th, 2013, 8:12 am

Well, as we make progress in this topic, many of you are losing ground in your argument.

What other industry, then, targets 13 year old boys with their awards show?

Even if other 'do', that still makes gaming a singularly  immature hobby. Gaming has its biggest promoters - the famous Geoff from Gametrailers on this - so....is everything they do for 13 year old boys, too? Because thew awards show fits the games they came to award and promote.

Lets face it, the Western Game industry, no matter what your age, looks at you like a 13 year old boy. That is how they brand you. So can we agree that that conclusion is a pathetic fact of gaming?

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » December 9th, 2013, 6:22 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

[/QUOTE]

13 Year Olds watch Spike TV.

Spike TV makes a Game Awards show for 13 Year Olds.

No one else cares.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 9th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Instead of watching crap that you don't like, why not try branching out and watching or reading about Game Developer Conference?  It's by developers for developers.  They have an annual conference and announce industry wide games that move the industry forward and/or try something new.  You won't see all the crap on Spike VGX and you'll get a more professional awards show.

http://www.gamasutra.com/

http://www.gdconf.com/

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 9th, 2013, 8:08 pm

No one's "losing ground" here except for you(not that you really had much "ground" to begin with), your arguments basically boil down to "i'm right and everyone else is wrong".  The fact that you think ALL western gaming is for 13-year olds shows how truly ignorant you are.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I haven't seen the show, but I can see where Segatarious is coming from.

Award shows are notoriously stupid, with canned dialogue, corny jokes, and awkward attempts to be "edgy".  Just look at the MTV award shows.  They are embarrassing to watch.  I'm sure the VGX was the same way.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 9th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Oh i'm not denying that award shows are stupid, I watched the Emmys once and it turned be the biggest waste of time I can possibly remember.  I'm just annoyed that Sega is saying that a mediocre awards show basically means that ALL Wastern gaming is immature, which annoys me far more then the awards shows themselves.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » December 14th, 2013, 12:25 pm

I watched 10 minutes of the first year of this award show about a decade ago.  They had a bizarre gimick where the gave the overall game of the year at the beginning of the show instead of the end.  I found that really strange, but I'm glad they did, because it gave me a warning that the award show is terrible.  They gave the game of the year to the annual Madden game.  Right then, I could tell this wasn't a real award show, and EA must have paid for that award.  I immediatly turned it off, and I wouldn't be surprised if thousands more did.    Its not that they simply chose a game for game of the year that I disagreed with.  Its that I can't see how anyone can make a logical case for Madden being game of the year in that year.  Madden is usually much the same game it was last year.  That wasn't even a major change year for Madden, if I remember correctly.I believe a game of the year should go to an actual original game, even if they chose one I disagree with.   From what I see here, I haven't missed much from not watching this show the past decade.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » December 14th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Maybe {game of the year} was based on sales? Madden sells pretty good every year don't they?

I'm not sure why Steer feels that the video game industry is pathetic because it targets 13 year-old boys. Since it targets that demographic that's how they'll treat their customers. Sure its immature, but I'm not sure why anyone would think that video gaming should be considered a mature hobby. Maybe Steer expects the industry to identify specific populations in their customer base and treat them all differently? That sounds like a lot of extra work and expenses.

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » December 15th, 2013, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
[/QUOTE]

How about every other segment of the entertainment industry, of which video games are a part of?  Music, tv, radio, movies, I can't think of a single example where 13 year olds are *not* the target.

I agree with Steer completely that these types of shows are ridiculous garbage (I haven't seen this show in particular but I'll take your word for it), but it means nothing to me as a gamer because I know I'm not the intended audience.

Return to “Video Games General”