What's your favorite Capcom Fighting game?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Verm1

Postby Verm1 » December 16th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Battle Arena Toshinden 2...well, Capcom released/distributed it in the Arcades in some deal I should really try to look up someday, being such a fan of the Toshinden series.

But my favourite Capcom made fighter is probably Rival Schools.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » December 17th, 2013, 2:17 am

The Darkstalkers series. From a creative team at the top of its game - there's no restraint to be found, and no license to worry about protecting, so Capcom just threw in whatever came to mind. Of course the naked catgirl is a nun, and Little Red Riding Hood is packing more heat than Duke Nukem. Why shouldn't the zombie rock out like the Sex Pistols?

Everything makes sense, in a way that's completely nonsensical.

It stops just short of the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 excess. In the heart of its insanity, you can still find a game of chess.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 17th, 2013, 10:57 am

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]The Darkstalkers series. From a creative team at the top of its game - there's no restraint to be found, and no license to worry about protecting, so Capcom just threw in whatever came to mind. Of course the naked catgirl is a nun, and Little Red Riding Hood is packing more heat than Duke Nukem. Why shouldn't the zombie rock out like the Sex Pistols?

Everything makes sense, in a way that's completely nonsensical.

It stops just short of the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 excess. In the heart of its insanity, you can still find a game of chess.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this.  

Darkstalkers is the best fighting series Capcom has ever done.  I was hoping they'd get around to making a new one in the same vein as Street Fighter IV....but I don't think it's happening. 

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » December 17th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Never played Darkstalkers.

Should a newcomer search for Darkstalkers 3 for PS1?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 17th, 2013, 11:24 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]
Oh, by the way - did any of you hear about them taking all of the Capcom Marvel games down off of Live and PSN? Apparently, Capcom doesn't have the license anymore after Disney bought Marvel. Digital downloads suck.[/QUOTE]

just wonderful. Another reason to dislike digital downloads.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 18th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Don't get any of the Darkstalker games on the PS1.  If you want to play them, grab the Sega Saturn versions as they're 10x better.  Josh is right, the Playstation controller is just not very good for this style of game.  The Saturn's 6 button layout is ideal for this kind of fighter.  Also, the sprites and animation pale in comparison to the SS version.  I remember being incredibly disappointed with the PS1 version of Darkstalkers 3.

If you download the game via Xbox Live or PSN, it's worth it to have an arcade stick to play.  Much like Street Fighter the game is much better with a joystick instead of a d-pad.

rahimtx1

Postby rahimtx1 » December 21st, 2013, 5:56 pm

I had more fun playing Saturday Night Slam Masters.

rahimtx1

Postby rahimtx1 » December 21st, 2013, 5:58 pm

I had more fun playing Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:31 pm

[QUOTE=rahimtx]I had more fun playing Saturday Night Slam Masters.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that game a cross between a wrestling game and Final Fight?

Return to “Classic Gaming”