If this the best the next generation can offer?

General and high profile video game topics.
Burk1

Postby Burk1 » December 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]Let me get this straight darkrage6, you think touchpads and touchscreens, along with motion controls is gimmicky, but a camera that senses your movements (which was done 10 years ago, by the way [wink]) is not? Clearly, as much as you hate to admit it, you have a bias for the Xbox One, every time someone mentions yet another negative thing about them, you have to rush to the rescue. It's pointless to even argue against it. You'd probably buy one if it required them to admit it watched you.[/QUOTE]

I'm not overly eager about the new gen systems,but I will say I have yet to see GOOD motion controls work.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » December 26th, 2013, 1:29 pm

The next gen systems will also have a problem with watch dogs. Supposedly the console versions only run at 30 FPS. This brings me to wonder if the PC version will do any better. Probably will. Burk, I dont' blame you for not being eager, go ahead and SAVE your money, and build a rig that KILLS those systems. If the PC version runs at 60 FPS, it will show that consoles can no longer keep up.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 26th, 2013, 2:10 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]If the PC version runs at 60 FPS, it will show that consoles can no longer keep up.[/QUOTE]

Um, duh  [smile]

PCs cost 2 to 6 times as much as the latest consoles.  Of course, they'll be able to outrun consoles.

That's kind of like saying, a Ferrari outperforms a Geo Metro.  Or even better, water is wet...news at 11:00.  [tongue]

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 26th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Building your own gaming rig can actually be more expensive then buying an Xbox One, and personally 30 FPS is more then enough for me so i'll perfectly fine playing Watchdogs on my 360.

weallmissedme-Here's why I like Kinnect, it's a gimmick yes but it's a fun and mostly optional gimmick that isn't part of the regular controller and you're not forced to use it for gameplay in games that use the regular controller like PS4 does with the touchpad and the Wii U does with the gamepad(don't care if it was done 10 years ago BTW, the Eyetoy wasn't very good by comparison). Also the whole thing about Kinnect "watching" you thing is greatly exaggerated, you can always turn the camera off if that sort of thing makes you uncomfortable.  Everyone has their own bias for a gaming system, and for me the Xbox One looks better then the other two systems so yeah i'm biased, so sue me![rofl]

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » January 5th, 2014, 1:48 pm

I think graphical improvements could've been substantial if Sony & Micro$oft had decided to invest in it. Instead they saw more profit in online services, cloud computing, dlc, multiplayer and all of that crap. This generation of gaming sucks.  

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 5th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I strongly disagree that this generation "sucks" it's looking pretty good actually, I don't know if it's really possible for graphics to look that much better.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » January 5th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Well, reading the OP we can see its 'not just graphics' but a 'been there, done that' feeling. I think that is a problem for the game industry, you are 're-upping' for another round of similar games, and yet despite near identical set pieces and game play, cost to consumer is increasing.

My own personal situation, well this last year I bought a handful of finely crafted games, and I branch out on eshop for fun 'niche' titles like The Cave you will never see in retail, probably never again? Well, never is a long time, I suppose. That is my strategy, and it is super effective for me.

But I am not buying more games, and may end up buying less. I need to keep my costs static, and that is the industries problem, not mine.  A game has to look really good for me to consider buying it $60 new at retail.

As far as the big budget hype games go, I continue to have no interest. It is like if you read CBS Friday night TV lineup to me - no interest - not made for me, complete creative rut, no interesting concepts simply market research come to life. But I am not the market, and have not been for generations. I am just a survivor I guess, I will never be in the mainstream. To tell the truth, maybe having the exisitng console game market contract to such a point to eliminate MS and/or Sony would be a great thing for console gaming.  They are redundant consoles, lets be objective. They do he same thing, have mostly the same third party support, and both want the subscription model and hardcore multiplayer game player. That market is 'big' but it is not the heart of gaming, likely never will be, and could well collapse on itself.  Consoles are becoming more reliant on indie games, but indie game do not need them near as bad. Funny, ironic, unsustainable?

Anyone who is obsessed with system specs should be a PC gamer anyway, and on STEAM. Far superior performance and value than XBOX ONE for very similar or often identical games and game play. I bet the Valve console will be higher end but maybe yet under sell, because they are not selling you a Kinect trojan horse. It may be time for people on the fence to wait, and see if Steam has their act together. Or at least for a price cut? Valve could fall flat on their face, though, console launches are harder than what is supposed....

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

They're not "redundant" at all and they are not nearly as reliant on indie game as you think, especially not when Sony and Microsoft have an amazing seller like GTAV, I don't see either Sony or Microsoft collapsing anytime soon.

As for specs, well not all of us have hundreds of dollars to blow on a gaming rig
(upgrading my PC would cost me more then an Xbox One), nor do we all have the technical know-how to custom build a gaming PC.  My PC isn't the most advanced(I still use XP) but I like it just fine the way it is, so I prefer to stick to consoles for next-gen games. Also sometimes PC versions of games are inferior to their console counterparts. GTAIV for example was a dreadful port that had numerous glitches and a truly ridiculous amount of slowdown that made it almost unbearable to play, it was so bad that Steam actually gave out refunds for it. Also PC ports like Splinter Cell: Conviction and Dead Space sometimes have annoying DRM that the console versions do not have.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 5th, 2014, 8:50 pm

For Christmas I bought the components for my new computer for less than
$500 and assembled it in about 5-6 hours after watching a couple of instructional
videos on Youtube. Even with adding a 19' used monitor and a copy of Windows 7
Professional I still only paid about $600. This is not a weak computer, either: when
I went on Steam for the first time and started checking the Recommended specs
for a bunch of different games (including graphically-intensive games like Tomb Raider
and Far Cry 3) I exceeded most of them, usually by a great deal. You could easily
make up the $100-200 excess cost in a couple of sales on Steam or Amazon or Good
Ol' Games (not to mention the amazingly cheap Humble Bundles), and you can also
save money by, say, using your TV as a monitor. Also keep in mind that you're going to
have to buy at least one extra controller for your console for company (while I can just
use my 360 controllers on my computer, including my arcade stick). Last but not least,
you can upgrade your PC gradually if you want, especially when building around an
AMD processor.

I haven't given up on getting a new console (I still want to get a Wii U sometime this year) and
I'm not claiming that PCs don't have problems or that all PC ports are good or even that a gaming
PC is for everyone. For me, however, the PS4 and XBox One now look a bit less exciting, and I'll
probably put off getting one of either for a while longer.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 5th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Even those videos aren't much help for someone like me who's not tech savvy at all and gets confused and frustrated just dealing with minor errors on my computer, so the idea of upgrading my PC by myself sounds like an extremely daunting task that dosen't seem like it's worth the time, effort or money. 

With consoles you just pop the game in(or install it, which still takes less time to install then most PC games), I don't have to buy an expensive new graphics card or worry about whether the game will randomly crash or refuse to install or anything like that. I'd just rather not go through the frustration trying to build a rig just for slightly better looking games then the console counterparts.

I only occasionally buy stuff on Steam, so it wouldn't really make up for any extra money I spend. I can always trade my older games in at Gamestop for store credit towards an Xbox One, but I can't do that for a PC, so thanks but no thanks, i'll just stick with my current PC for now.

Return to “Video Games General”