Deus Ex (2000): Your Opinions/Impressions?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 21st, 2014, 8:07 pm

For Christmas I was able to build myself a new computer, a computer that
that is actually powerful enough to run whatever games I choose to throw
at it. While taking advantage of the digital holiday sales online, I knew I
wanted to get a least one classic computer game, so I got the original
Deus Ex. I've heard it referred to on multiple occasions as the best computer
game ever made. I've also heard that it offers enough in the way of choice that
not only can you get through the entire game without killing a single person,
but that no action you take will result in you "stumping" the game. Warren Spector,
who worked on both the Ultima and Wing Commander series and also helped to create
both the Thief and System Shock franchises, had a big part in designing it.

I know that this forum is centered more around consoles, but I was wondering if
anyone here has played Deus Ex and, if so, did they have anything they wanted
to say about it. I do know that there was a PS2 port, but I've heard that it doesn't
quite compare quality-wise to the PC version.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 21st, 2014, 11:25 pm

Haven't played this one, though I have played Invisible War which I thought was highly underrated.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 22nd, 2014, 7:32 am

I played this back when my PC gaming rig was powerful, it is a great game once you get hold of it.
Don't want to say too much in case I inadvertently add spoilers. But if you like games like Fallout 3, which is similar in the choices you make and how your character develops. you will like this definitely a classic.

I now have it on PS2 as I sold my gaming rig a couple of years ago and purchased a laptop for PC use as I got frustrated on spending £1500 for it to be outdated within 2 years, so I moved back to consoles. I've not played through the PS2 version yet to give a opinion, I will probably revisit it once I've done with Killzone Shadow Fall thanks to your post making me want to play through it again.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » January 23rd, 2014, 4:08 pm

Deus Ex is one my favorite games.  It was very innovative, and does stand up today.  The combat hasn't held up, but the level design, choices you can make, and RPG element certainly have.  I do recommend anyone who hasn't played it download it from Steam or GOG. It should work on pretty much any modern computer.

You can go through the game for the most part not killing anyone.  I believe there are two or three boss characters who you are required to kill though. However, for most of the game, stealth, manipulation, or combat seem to work equally well.  It is certainly possible to break the game.  For example if you go in your headquarters early on and start shooting everyone, it will be impossible to progress to the next mission.  However, for the most part you have some decent choices.

I would agree that Deus Ex 2 invisable war is underrated.  At the same time, to me it was the most disappointing game ever, because it was the follow up to Deus Ex 1.   The levels are much smaller with too many loading screens.  The levels in general just aren't as good, and the game is a fraction of the Deus Ex 1 size.  However, there are actually some things Deus Ex 2 does better.  Its seems to be  impossible to break the game.  You have much more storyline freedom, and seem to never have a forced choice.  Infact, you play through the entire game killing everyone you see or noone, and still get an ending.  That's not even close to possible in Deus Ex 1.  On its own, Deus Ex 2 is a great game, but its disappointing as the followup to Deus Ex 1.

Deus Ex 1 for the PS2 was a pretty lousy port. Its still a good game, simply because the game its a port of is fantastic.  However, the levels were broken up into smaller sections for loading screens.  A big part of the joy of the Deus Ex on PC was the massive levels where you can go anywhere, and the PS2 version ruins some of that joy.  Also the game looks muddy and ugly.  It is a big step down from the PC version.  Considering no computer today should have any problem running the gog.com version, I'd choose that.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 23rd, 2014, 4:25 pm

@Edward

Thanks so much for your all your insights. I'm excited to play it. Did you ever
play it with any of the patches that were meant to help bring the game
up-to-date visually or that improve the user interface? Part of me was considering
patching the game before playing, but I've never had a problem with dated
visuals (I've always thought they added charm to games in most instances)
and I want to experience the game the way it really was, flaws and all.

Return to “Classic Gaming”