How does your wife/significant other/mom deal with your video games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » January 25th, 2014, 2:24 am

I just happen to be extremely lucky, my wife is indifferent and doesn't get in the way too much when I want to play games. However, she uses it as leverage when she wants something. For example, she's freaking out because she thinks she's getting so fat, so she points out my PS4 and TV I bought now that she wants a six hundred dollar elliptical. Hey, at least there's nothing major out there that I want to get until spring time. Sometimes we'll even play some assorted games on the Wii U, so that's always fun. 

When I was younger, my mom would nag me saying that my games were a complete waste of my time. She was very religious, and bought me Bible Adventures when I was a kid. Oh, the torture! They never got me any good games. My buddies had Tecmo Super Bowl, I had Touchdown Fever. My buddies had Contra, I had Total Recall. Things like that. I'll never forget the day she relented and bought me Bases Loaded when we were at Woodfield Mall (It's in a Chicago Suburb). Back then, that was the holy grail of baseball games, and it was all mine! Imagine my frustration when she wanted to spend an hour and a half in a clothing store she saw out of the corner of her eye on the way out. 

My dad was much cooler about it. I never had much of an interest in video games until he bought me an NES late summer of 1988. I'll never forget that day, it was overcast, slightly humid, and he had Super Mario Bros. hooked up. We had some good father/son moments, even joking that I needed a new pitcher when he was kicking my butt in NES Baseball. He was always great about me playing video games. In fact, the last thing he ever bought me before he died was the Gamecube, which, of course, I'll never get rid of. He understood that me being 20 at the time, I wasn't exactly loaded with cash, and he wanted me to have one.

I'm lucky that now my wife let me dedicate an entire room of our two bedroom apartment to video games. I let her do what she wants with the rest of the place, but I get my mancave. Other than her wanting to cuddle and me having to take care of her dogs, she doesn't really interfere too much with me playing. But I'm guessing I'm one of the more fortunate ones here.  

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 25th, 2014, 7:29 am

My wife is just an incredible woman all around, and this area is no exception. She has no issues with my gaming or the collection. She knows to be careful around the 7800 adapter, knows the 3DS charger gets packed into luggage fine without the cradle, keeps our kids and the ones she babysits away from my collection, and leaves everything together for me no matter how often she rearranges things. Of course, she's also willing to do some gaming herself. She has informed me that part of our Valentine's present is going to be getting a mutual copy of the 3DS Animal Crossing.

I have it pretty good. No lie: I once broke up with a girl largely because she didn't "get" games.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 25th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Herchie-I watched AVGN's reviews for all those awful Bible Games, they looked more like the spawn of satan[rofl]

My mom was fine with me playing games as a kid as long it wasn't something violent like Mortal Kombat, which my cousin owned and I would watch her play a few times, she also didn't want to get me Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast, thankfully my cousin got me that game as a christmas present, she was pretty awesome.

As I got older she didn't really care what I bought, now she uses my 360 to watch her shows on Netflix, so it works well for both of us.

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » January 25th, 2014, 4:38 pm

[QUOTE=Herschie] she thinks she's getting so fat, so she points out my PS4 and TV I bought now that she wants a six hundred dollar elliptical.[/QUOTE]
Hey, just be glad she wants to stay in shape instead of "letting herself go"...,

El_Shamro1

Postby El_Shamro1 » January 25th, 2014, 5:36 pm

My wife collects with me. She even finds the satisfaction of having found a great game to be enough, while I do most of the actual playing. However, we do have very different tastes in games, and there are times when we want to play something together but don't agree on the same game.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 25th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Well let's see

My folks tried to keep me away from video games all childhood, having the old fashioned idea that I'd do nothing but play those games. Then they relented in 2005 and got me a DS for Christmas,and I proved them wrong. I have to get the games myself or pay 'em back was how it worked. 

As for my girlfriend, she's a bit like AFever's wife: Pretty much a causal gamer with a few games to get serious about, namely the Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing series.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 25th, 2014, 9:50 pm

My partner has no interest in gaming whatsoever. It kind of sucks because other then Wii Sports he has no skills in the gaming department. However, he is very respectful about my gaming and I have an entire room dedicated to my gaming in our apartment.

As for my family, my Dad is the only other person who enjoyed playing games even remotely close to me. We used to play Mortal Kombat II a lot when I was growing up. We ripped each other's heads off and it was a blast. My dad and I used video games as a way to understand each other because we didn't really share too many other hobbies. The big difference between my dad and my gaming has been his desire to always play the newest games/consoles while I have kind of delved into retro gaming. Still, we tend to shoot game ideas off each other and such. 

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » January 26th, 2014, 12:31 am

My wife is OK with me growing my game collection ... it probably helps that she plays a bit herself. She's into the Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Pokémon, Katamari, and Zelda series. I've always had "my space" for my games, which is pretty cool. I keep most of my collection upstairs, and we keep a Wii hooked up to the living room TV. 

She rips on me for playing Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior ("Did you press 'A' 1,000 times? Was that fun?"). However, it's pretty easy to return the favor when she plays dreck like Candy Crush Crisis and "Cold Stone Creamery: Scoop Up." Yep, she bought "Cold Stone Creamery" for herself.

There was a summer when she was hooked on Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV. That was awesome.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » January 26th, 2014, 1:43 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Rev. My girlfriend has really no interest in gaming at all. I guess the fact she is 14 years older than me has something to do with it but we still get along real well. I grew up in the 80's which was the prime time for video games and arcades. She does like watching me play games sometimes, here lately GTA 5 has her fascinated, but she never picks up the controller to play herself. I am grateful that I was allowed to turn one of the rooms in our house into a game room. My parents never minded me playing video games growing up unless my grades started to slip. It always sucked whenever I was grounded from them.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » January 26th, 2014, 2:05 am

My girl friend supports my gaming obsession. She even mails off my doubles I sell off on eBay for me. She only plays retro games. She loves Gradius III and Super Mario World on SNES. She also loves a game called Taz on the Atari 2600. (Unusual choice right?)

I've been with this women for only 4 months. (could she be the one?)

Return to “Video Games General”