Buy A Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Buy A Wii U

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 30th, 2014, 10:24 pm

If you're like me and enjoy gaming the old fashioned way (read: fun), I would encourage you to pick up a Wii U if you haven't already.  It's a good system that deserves our support.  It's nice to have options and Sony and Microsoft seem to be heading down the same path (on-line and digital).  

Yeah, I know Nintendo seriously botched the marketing of the Wii U, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the system.  I own both a PS4 and a Wii U, and frankly I haven't detected a difference in the graphic quality.  The Wii U has more than enough power.

There is nothing wrong with the control pad either.  Even if you opt not to use the screen, it still makes for a comfortable controller.  And when it comes to games with maps, the screen comes in handy.  

The Wii U library doesn't have much third-party support, but the first-party games are terrific and there are a lot of big titles slated for this year, including Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and Bayonetta 2.  

It's still early, but if I had to choose a system for this generation right now I'd go with the Wii U.  If you buy one I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Segatarious1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Segatarious1 » January 30th, 2014, 10:38 pm

Just to chime in, there is some pretty good 3rd party games on eshop

The Cave is a fun adventure game, with a little repetition - from last spring. Really enjoyed this, very good atmosphere game game, some creative levels. Still play it now and then.

Castlestorm - I have not gotten deep into this one yet, but it is very fun. Its kind of like angry birds mixed with Swords and Soldiers. RTS + tower defense, it keeps you multitaking and the different weapon and troop types are all good fun, missions are tweaked so it is always something new, has online, have not had time to play it. Really unique game.

UnEpic - this game is a fantastic value at $10, pretty big world, great action RPG, really enjoying it.

Nano Assault is good - I am not a huge fan of this genre, but I usually do buy a shooter or two a generation, and this is quality.

I agree the upcoming lineup looks good, and already there is a good stable of very nice games. Really happy with it so far. Also wokrs really good for streaming, and the internet browser is nice for streaming youtube.

darkrage61

Buy A Wii U

Postby darkrage61 » January 31st, 2014, 12:11 am

Unless it gets a better and more diverse library soon, i'll pass. If I do get a Nintnedo console, it will probably be a regular Wii.

darkrage61

Buy A Wii U

Postby darkrage61 » January 31st, 2014, 4:01 am

Yeah, for me being "old school"(which I find debatable, as the gamepad really dosen't seem very old school to me) dosen't automatically make it a better purchase then the PS4 or Xbox One. 

Wii U has a few good looking games, but that's just not enough of a selling point for me, and I can see that there is a noticeable difference in graphics compared to the PS4/Xbox One.  The Wii was a bold experiment that paid off, the Wii U just looks rushed and it seems like Nintendo were counting their chickens before they hatched.

Segatarious1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Segatarious1 » January 31st, 2014, 7:31 am

Every console has a ton of variety, and Nintendo has plenty of excuses for most people to at least consider buying it.

And if we are talking soley 'AAA' games, well then, no there is not 'a lot of variety' on Xbox One and PS4. Nintendo delivers game they do not make, do not know how to make, and cannot make. I am not saying Nintendo 'does it all' either, but if you want variety, it is the best company to start with.

velcrozombie1

Buy A Wii U

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 31st, 2014, 8:29 am

I definitely wanted to get a PS4 at first, but as of now there's
nothing that's either out already or in the near future that I
want to play. Killer Instinct is the only XBox game that I geniunely
want at the moment, and I can't justify buying a $500 system
to play one game. On the other hand, I can think of over
half-a-dozen physical games (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Zombie U
and the Nintendo first-party stuff) and a few downloadable games
that I want to play for the Wii U, so it's definitely going to be the first
console from the new generation I pick up. I'm sure I can get used
to the gamepad (although how my little cousins react to there
being only one gamepad is a bit of a concern) and the graphics look
good enough (I have a PC, so it's not like I need my consoles to
look perfect).

I will say that it's not the system for everyone - it's probably
not going to have quite as many as shooters and that 3rd-party
support may continue to drop if the sales don't turn around
in the near future - but it works for me, especially since I have
a PS3 and a 360 that will both be supported for at least another
couple of years, plus a decent PC.

Bluenote1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Bluenote1 » January 31st, 2014, 9:08 am

I got a Wii U this past Christmas from my wife, and I love it!  I have only played New Super Mario Wii U and Super Mario 3d Land, but both games are fantastic.  You simply can't get these fun, cartoony, non violent games on any other system.

I'm not worried about the so called lack of games, I really no longer have endless spare time like I did when I was younger, so the Wii U library that is out now is more than enough to give me busy for the forseeable future. 

Segatarious1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Segatarious1 » January 31st, 2014, 10:43 am

This is good news as well - great antidote for the doom sayers and celebrators :

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/satoru_iwata_states_that_nintendo_should_abandon_old_assumptions_about_its_businesses

...Mr. Yamauchi (former President Hiroshi Yamauchi) often said "Editsui-taizen, Tokui-reizen," meaning that we should act regally when things are bad, and be calm when things are going well." Were he alive now, he would tell me to carry an air of confidence.

We built up cash reserves when earnings were strong. Because the entertainment industry ebbs and flows in wild swings, Mr. Yamauchi insisted it is vital to have deep pockets. Without savings, we could not have recovered from a single failure in game systems. Even now, we can afford many options because of our robust financial standing.

We'll change the way we sell products, by managing customer information via the Internet. We'll offer discounts to steady, regular customers. We'll cultivate emerging markets and launch new businesses in health and other areas. In an emerging country, you can expand the user base only after you offer a product line different from advanced economies in pricing.

We should abandon old assumptions about our businesses. We are considering M&As [mergers and acquisitions] as an option. For this reason, we'll step up share buybacks.

Nintendo mergers sounds good, hope they pick good fits and continue to provide and leverage an INDEPENDENT PLATFORM that is not just another 'HD Twin' console

Funny people love to brag about all of this supposed variety on PS4 and Xbox One - but - once again - they ALWAYS get lumped together like Twins Brothers against a Nintendo console - as if they were business partners and not cut throat competitors. That is really telling about the psychology of the game media and the game internet community. I guess there is safety in numbers, but also a ton of redundant games and genres.....

If you want to brag up a console for it's game variety - how bout just pick one?

Sut1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Sut1 » January 31st, 2014, 11:26 am

Is that a possible problem Nintendo have ? Their flagship and best titles are cartoony ? In my opinion they need a 'serious' car game like Gran Turismo/Forza and some darker more edgy games, wouldn't a darker more mature themed Zelda be awesome ?

I've gone for PS4 for this generation and I rarely buy 2 systems in a generation, but I really want Nintendo to succeed.

Return to “Video Games General”