Buy A Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
HardcoreSadism1

Buy A Wii U

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » January 31st, 2014, 11:40 pm

Yeah I got frustrated without the lack of healthy, at least, digital releases of Virtual Console titles. Nintendo's systems all need to follow the tradition of making Sega and Nintendo classics accessible.

BanjoPickles1

Buy A Wii U

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 1st, 2014, 11:50 am

I'm glad that I have a Wii U, but I rarely play it. I don't think that they should follow the business model set into place by Sony or Microsoft, but I am frustrated by a few things:

1). Third party support. With the Wii, there was a ton of the wrong sort of third party support. With the Wii U, you have the opposite problem. Is it wrong of me to long for the golden days of the nes/snes, where you could get your Mario fix, right alongside your Street Fighter II fix? I love games by Capcom, Atlus, and Konami just as much as games made by Nintendo. I don't think that I can fully get behind a system where third-party support isn't a priority.

2). Virtual console. This one game a week crap is ridiculous AND a huge step backwards! What happened to releasing three games a week? How can they hope to create a robust library of classics by doing this? They said that there will be DS support! Really? What about the supposed GameCube support? Game boy Advance? It's hard to fulfill these promises with one game a week!

scotland171

Buy A Wii U

Postby scotland171 » February 1st, 2014, 12:09 pm

@Tron Your 3DS player for the WiiU is an idea worth thinking about.
Even though the WiiU is backwards compatible, people complain on the weakness of its library. Suddenly the library would be massive, even if only NDS, and would have 3rd party games. That tablet gamepad is now the NDS/3DS second touchscreen. Only one gamepad is fine justified as most portable games are one player. Could release 3DS compilations to address some of the VC complaints. Nintendo could build 3DS games thinking of them on a console, stepping toward moving to a unified system without abandoning anything or making a half step 32x kind of thing.

Of course, it would be $75 or so, and maybe the tech would be hard. Maybe the Gameboy player was a failure in 2003 or just failed to move product. Still, sounds like a grand idea Tron.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Buy A Wii U

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 1st, 2014, 12:17 pm

Scotland17 - You make a good point.  The Wii U is the only new console to be backwards compatible, and the Wii library is pretty large.

Of course, you can also blame Nintendo for failing to market this.  Hell, even I forgot it was backwards compatible until you brought it up!

Rev1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Rev1 » February 1st, 2014, 12:46 pm

A Wii U Fire Emblem game would be great. The last good one was Path of Radiance. The Wii game (Radiance of Dawn) was much, much harder and very unforgiving. I still enjoyed it but many people absolutely hated the game. Still, if Nintendo released a Fire Emblem game for the Wii U I'd be first in line to pick it up. The game would work really well with the pad controller. Plus, Fire Emblem in HD. Can't beat that.

LS6501

Buy A Wii U

Postby LS6501 » February 1st, 2014, 3:41 pm

I'm not really interested in any of the newest systems, whatever the brand. The most modern system I've ever had is the Dreamcast. Since then I don't think there's been any system that has excited me much.

nesfan1

Buy A Wii U

Postby nesfan1 » February 1st, 2014, 6:03 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]A Wii U Fire Emblem game would be great. The last good one was Path of Radiance. The Wii game (Radiance of Dawn) was much, much harder and very unforgiving. I still enjoyed it but many people absolutely hated the game. Still, if Nintendo released a Fire Emblem game for the Wii U I'd be first in line to pick it up. The game would work really well with the pad controller. Plus, Fire Emblem in HD. Can't beat that.[/QUOTE]Nintendo announced that Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is currently in development for Wii U. They haven't given a release date and there aren't a lot of details about it but they have said that it will be an RPG. I don't know if that means it will be a traditional RPG like SMT or a tactical RPG like FE but either way I'm excited. That announcement was one of the main reasons I got a Wii U. If you aren't down with the crossover though, I'm sure they'll have a standard Fire Emblem title coming for Wii U eventually. It's been on every Nintendo console and handheld so far since it debuted in America. And it's had even more Japanese releases before it caught on in other regions. So I wouldn't doubt there would be a new FE for Wii U.

You know what I'd love to see on Wii U that I bet would really move some consoles? Mother 4. Or Earthbound 2 or whatever. People pushed Nintendo really hard to release Earthbound on VC and they did it, so Nintendo has to know how popular the series has gotten in recent years. I'd also love to see a new Startropics but I doubt that will ever happen.  

Segatarious1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Segatarious1 » February 1st, 2014, 8:21 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]I'm glad that I have a Wii U, but I rarely play it. I don't think that they should follow the business model set into place by Sony or Microsoft, but I am frustrated by a few things: 1). Third party support. With the Wii, there was a ton of the wrong sort of third party support. With the Wii U, you have the opposite problem. Is it wrong of me to long for the golden days of the nes/snes, where you could get your Mario fix, right alongside your Street Fighter II fix? I love games by Capcom, Atlus, and Konami just as much as games made by Nintendo. I don't think that I can fully get behind a system where third-party support isn't a priority. 2). Virtual console. This one game a week crap is ridiculous AND a huge step backwards! What happened to releasing three games a week? How can they hope to create a robust library of classics by doing this? They said that there will be DS support! Really? What about the supposed GameCube support? Game boy Advance? It's hard to fulfill these promises with one game a week![/QUOTE]

You already did.

Do not blame Nintendo - look at Ubisoft - one leigtimate 'try' game in Zombi U, and then bolt at the first sign of weakness. EA, little to no effort. Go on eshop if you want to support 3rd part, I challenge you. No reason EA could not put games on eshop too, but will they??? Nah, they are cosy with MS, MS pays them the big bucks. I do not know what you bought on Wii, but I got a lot of good 3rd party games, and I have no interest in the AAA ports on Wii U - not my party, no worries here when they erode away.  Where is the western 3rd party on 3DS, a 'successful' system??? Please do not buy into this narrative, it is awhat it is, do not expect Nintendo to deliver miracles, you just go ahead and hope they make a good merger or acquisition.

As far as VC, eh, maybe they will change, I could care less, sounds like you will get some DS games on the old eshop if you like.

Anyway, I am not big on drama, make all the laundry lists you want, there is nothing better to support, so whats the difference?

Rev1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Rev1 » February 1st, 2014, 8:44 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan][QUOTE=Rev]A Wii U Fire Emblem game would be great. The last good one was Path of Radiance. The Wii game (Radiance of Dawn) was much, much harder and very unforgiving. I still enjoyed it but many people absolutely hated the game. Still, if Nintendo released a Fire Emblem game for the Wii U I'd be first in line to pick it up. The game would work really well with the pad controller. Plus, Fire Emblem in HD. Can't beat that.[/QUOTE]Nintendo announced that Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is currently in development for Wii U. They haven't given a release date and there aren't a lot of details about it but they have said that it will be an RPG. I don't know if that means it will be a traditional RPG like SMT or a tactical RPG like FE but either way I'm excited. That announcement was one of the main reasons I got a Wii U. If you aren't down with the crossover though, I'm sure they'll have a standard Fire Emblem title coming for Wii U eventually. It's been on every Nintendo console and handheld so far since it debuted in America. And it's had even more Japanese releases before it caught on in other regions. So I wouldn't doubt there would be a new FE for Wii U.

You know what I'd love to see on Wii U that I bet would really move some consoles? Mother 4. Or Earthbound 2 or whatever. People pushed Nintendo really hard to release Earthbound on VC and they did it, so Nintendo has to know how popular the series has gotten in recent years. I'd also love to see a new Startropics but I doubt that will ever happen.  [/QUOTE]

That's really interesting to hear. I hope it gets a U.S. release.

As far as Mother 4. I have been hoping for years that Nintendo would just release another Earthbound/Mother game for either their handheld or main console. Mother 3 was released for gba in Japan. I don't know why Nintendo did that. After the first Smash Bros game, Earthbound has become a huge hit. If they took the risk I'm sure it would end up outselling all expectations..

ZetaX1

Buy A Wii U

Postby ZetaX1 » February 1st, 2014, 11:28 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]You already did.

Do not blame Nintendo - look at Ubisoft - one leigtimate 'try' game in Zombi U, and then bolt at the first sign of weakness. EA, little to no effort. Go on eshop if you want to support 3rd...[/QUOTE]

So, someone who is an early adopter of the console has a complaint that there's no 3rd party support, and your response is basically, "tough crap, you bought the damn thing. Can't blame the company who sells it, just because they had decent 3rd party support in the past doesn't mean jack..."

That's sort of cold, Mr. Steerforth.

Return to “Video Games General”