Games that turned out better than you expected?

General and high profile video game topics.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 21st, 2014, 10:13 pm

I really liked Tactics Ogre the Knight of Lodis. I had played the previous Tactics Ogre games before this (March of the Black Queen and Ogre Battle 64) but that was it. The battles in those games were more about mass forces then a small party of characters. After I picked up that game for the gba I ended up maxing out all three save files with different games (99+hours each game). The game was a great intro to these types of games and I would go on to play the PS1 Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics. Good times.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » March 23rd, 2014, 5:47 am

Rocket Knight Adventures (Konami, Sega Genesis) - didn't get it at the time of release, just a couple of years ago. Thought it'd be another generic platformer, but it turned out to be one of the best games I ever played...

Bastion (Xbox Live Arcade) - I have low expectations of Xbox Live games, but this one made me think differently.

Darth_Trekster1

Postby Darth_Trekster1 » March 29th, 2014, 2:01 am

Enslaved Odyssey To The West.
I had read the reviews and they was not very positive. Still I d/l the demo on my 360 and I had a Blast!

Went straight out and purchased it and never looked back.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » March 30th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS). I knew about all the great reviews it got but didn't think it would be the game for me. Nevertheless I bought it, and yeah I wasn't addicted to it immediately.

But once I got used to the learning curve, it was all I ever did. I wanted to explore everything in the game, unlock everything. The graphics, the music, the story, the gameplay, the secrets, the unlockable levels and characters, the different amounts of dialogue, it all had an impact on me. Few games have ever done that.

Now whenever I play it I literally can't stop. In my top 10 favorite video games of all time, better than Super Mario 3D Land, and that's not a joke.

Return to “Video Games General”