Top 10 favorite RPGs of all time?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 25th, 2014, 10:18 pm

I do these silly top 10 threads at least a couple times a year and I've been playing nothing but JRPGs for the last few months. I'm not sure if this has been a topic before or not, but I'd love to read the VGC forum's taste on rpgs. List it in order with the system next to the title.

Normally I'd list my own top 10 first but I want to give myself another day to think about it. Fire away!

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 26th, 2014, 1:40 am

Well I'm about 14 hours into Breath of fire 3 on ps1. It's so freaking good. I'll probably play through this one a few times trying different things.

I'm also about ten hours into Dragon Warrior VII for PS1. I've tread it can take 200 hours to beat so that's a ton of game play.

My third is Morrowind Xbox. Again hundreds of hours of game play.

That's my top three... For this week.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » March 26th, 2014, 5:03 am

I've probably mentioned this thousands of times in the past but RPG is my favorite game genre. Picking a top 10 out of all of the ones that I've played is gonna be tough. I'll probably see someone else's list and think "Oh yeah. That one totally should have been on my list." I'll give it a shot but I apologize in advance if I feel the need to come back and edit my list another 10 or 20 times.

1. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
2. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
3. Final Fantasy VIII (Playstation)
4. Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)
5. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
6. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS2)
7. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
8. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2)
9. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC)

I had some trouble picking my 9 and 10 spots because there were more games I wanted on the list but, oh well. That list is pretty much representative of my tastes.  

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 26th, 2014, 10:32 am

1. Adventure on the 2600 classic game and so good back in the day.
2. Haunted house 2600.  A classic so good but forget the dense Atari (infogrames) sequel.
3. Sword of Vermilion on Megadrive/Genesis.  The first RPG that had me absolutely hooked.
4. Fallout 3 Xbox 360. I have put 1000s of hours into this. 
5. Final Fantasy 7 on ps1 another game I played for hours.
6. Oblivion 360.  Classic RPG so good I just roamed around for ages and did nothing.
7. Risen PC.  Classy game that is available on 360 but is a shadow of the 360 version.
8. Blue Dragon 360.  Too easy but a lot of fun in the way that FF used to be.
9. Fable xbox.  I loved this so much on the original xbox but bought it recently on 360 and it is different.
10. Lost odyssey 360.  Huge game like BD just the way it should have been if FF was still good.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 26th, 2014, 11:19 am

I've always avoided RPG's like the plague until about 18 months ago so I haven't played too many but I've enjoyed most of what I have.

1). Fallout 3 (PS3)
2). Vay (iphone)
3). Final Fantasy 2 (iphone)
4). Final Fantasy 3 (iphone)
5). Final Fantasy (iphone)
6). Phantasy Star (Master System)
7). Phantasy Star 2 (MegaDrive)
8). Phantasy Star 4 (MegaDrive)
9). Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
10). Sword of Vermillion (MegaDrive)

Only other RPG I have played through is Phantasy Star 3, but I am currently playing Secret of Mana on iphone.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 26th, 2014, 11:42 am

Oh my how could I forget - Panzer Dragoon Saga THE best RPG I've played and the game that changed my mind about playing the genre.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 26th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Like Sut, I never liked RPGs.  I always found them either overly complicated or boring.  But after playing Chrono Trigger on DS a few years ago, it just "clicked."  Now, I play almost nothing other than RPGs, since I'm playing catch up.  Needless to say, I still have a couple dozen classics to work through, but these are my current Top 10 of the games I *have* played:

1. Persona 3: FES/Portable (PS2/PSP)
2. Chrono Trigger (SNES/DS)
3. Lunar: Silver Star (Sega CD)/Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP)
4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES/GBA)
5. Dragon Quest V (Super Famicom/DS)
6. Ys Seven (PSP)
7. Tales of Vesperia (360)
8. Demon's Souls (PS3)
9. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
10. Earthbound (SNES)

Notes:  

*As much as I hate to say it, my favorite RPG (Persona 3) doesn't currently have a "definitive" edition.  Though P3 Portable shares the superior (player controlled) gameplay of P4, it loses the amazing cutscenes and immersion by turning the sim aspects into a glorified point and click adventure game.  I'd love to see a version of the PS2's FES update on the Vita that includes the gameplay and alternate, female storyline of P3 Portable.  Also, I'm currently 25 hours into Persona 4 Golden on Vita and while it's great and a lot of things are improved, it loses the dark atmosphere of P3.  Also, none of the characters are near as interesting as Junpei, Mitsuru, or Yukari.  At least not yet.

*I'm happy to hear from Wallyworld that Breath of Fire III is so good.  I bought it off Craig's list a couple months ago.  I wanted to finish 1 and 2 on SNES first.  BoF1 is okay.  I hear 2 is much better so I'm looking forward to that.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 26th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Don't know if I can list ten RPGs, though the Mass Effect series is definitely my favorite, with Fallout 3 and New Vegas coming it at a close second, also love Alpha Protocol.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 26th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Sut's list is astounding for such a short time period. I am interested that FF2 is so high. I have the GBA version on the cart with FF1 but passed it by based on reviews unhappy with the advancement mechanism. Is FF2 worth sorting to the top of the queue?

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » March 26th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I can't list ten.  I can however say that Knights of the Old Republic was one of the greatest games I had ever played up to that point, and thus is also one of the greatest RPGs.  For me, it is probably the greatest RPG.

Also despite a rocky start, I have been enoyed EarthBound, and think I could safely list it high on a list like this.

Return to “Classic Gaming”