Could Nintendo offer a Wii U for $200 without a tablet controller?

General and high profile video game topics.
Edward1

Postby Edward1 » May 15th, 2014, 10:47 am

Currently the Wii U is $300 retail with a tablet controller included.  However, the Xbox One recently lowered its price by offering a Kinect-Free version.  That got me thinking.  Could Wii U sell a lot more systems by making a cheaper tablet free version? They could include a pro controller instead.

The reason I thought about this is because I asked for a Wii U as my graduation present.  I will be getting it later this week, and I can't wait.  However, I am not looking forward to the tablet.  I'm looking forward to playing Mario U, Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 8 later this month, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong Jungle Freeze, etc,  even Nintendo Remix 2.   It seems Nintendo has a killer lineup of first party games, that to me look more appealing than the other new systems' current lineups.  However, they seem to be all games that work just as well on the standard controller as the tablet.

In comparison, the Xbox one had few games that used the Kinect.  They decided to debundle the Kinect. Maybe its time for Nintendo to debundle the tablet.  It seems few games for it actually need it. I think Nintendo has been excelling with some fantastic games.  However, the sales figures for the Wii U are currently awful.  Could a $200 Wii U without a tablet change things for Nintendo?  It would be half the price of the other two systems.  I actually think that's what Nintendo should. I do want to see the Wii U succeed, because it has so many awesome games.

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » May 15th, 2014, 11:18 am

I actually like the tablet, it's pretty comfortable to hold and I like using the tablet to browse the Eshop. 

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 15th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Nope. I'd say the tablet is TOO essential to have with the system. If it didn't have the tablet, it wouldn't be a unique experience, and would basically be a low end PowerPC that just plays games.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 15th, 2014, 2:20 pm

You know, I think the Gamepad as a mandatory peripheral was almost as misguided as the Kinect. Compelling at face value but not very useful in practice. The off-screen play is a nice bonus, but isn't enough to make the Gamepad feel like an essential part of the console's ecosystem. I really don't like it anyway when the Gamepad is required as the primary controller because it has terrible battery life. Yes, the Gamepad should be divorced from the Wii U.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 15th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Hmmm but without the tablet wouldn't the system just be a Nintendo spec PS3/Xbox 360 ?
It has to do something different to the PS4 and XBone otherwise it's too underpowered to take them on.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 15th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Honestly, I think Nintendo would do better if they dropped the price of the Wii U with the tablet controller down to $250, rather than try to sell it for $200 without the tablet. 

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » May 15th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Dropping the tablet or the price isn't going to magically make Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine, Frostbite, or other "next gen" third party game engines run on it, nor will it create new first party Nintendo IP.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 15th, 2014, 3:40 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]Hmmm but without the tablet wouldn't the system just be a Nintendo spec PS3/Xbox 360 ?
It has to do something different to the PS4 and XBone otherwise it's too underpowered to take them on.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what it already is though, right? Except it really is more powerful than those systems. 2GB ram is a lot better than 512MB, and apparently the GPU is 1.5x more powerful than the 360's. It still has the Wii's motion controls, which are pretty unique at least in terms of how thoroughly they've been implemented.

What Nintendo should probably do next is work on some kind of "Super Wii" that will have the graphical capability to at least handle next-gen 3rd parties, ditch the tablet idea (perhaps in favor of some handheld integration like the PS4/Vita), and retain backwards compatibility.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 15th, 2014, 5:10 pm

I hope these guys are planning to follow the Modular device paradigm. Project Ara, currently at focus with Modular Handsets, aims to close the versatility gap between mobile and desktop hardware platforms. This means handheld gaming systems could level out with Desktop PC's in terms of hardware update patterns.

Even if it was debunked, the rumor of Nintendo releasing a modular handset to China is peculiarly timed. It was only a month before last when a live conference for modular smartphone concepts had taken place.  I can't help but feel both Nintendo and Google are up to something and it is kept under tight wraps, because who else could keep things under tight wraps? (rhetorical)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 15th, 2014, 5:37 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]I hope these guys are planning to follow the Modular device paradigm. Project Ara, currently at focus with Modular Handsets, aims to close the versatility gap between mobile and desktop hardware platforms. This means handheld gaming systems could level out with Desktop PC's in terms of hardware update patterns.

Even if it was debunked, the rumor of Nintendo releasing a modular handset to China is peculiarly timed. It was only a month before last when a live conference for modular smartphone concepts had taken place.  I can't help but feel both Nintendo and Google are up to something and it is kept under tight wraps, because who else could keep things under tight wraps? (rhetorical)[/QUOTE]

Interesting point, HS. I sure hope Nintendo is up to something clever because I really don't want them to get out of the console market.

Return to “Video Games General”