Nintendo needs Diversity?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2014, 8:03 pm

I recently saw this article on Ars Technica suggesting Nintendo has too many white characters and should be more diverse.  I almost fell out of my chair.  Is this a reasonable argument, or a case of political correctness run amuck?

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » May 21st, 2014, 8:10 pm

How come I never see the people who scream for more diversity learn a programming language and create their own protagonists? It's not hard if you actually care about what you're saying. Make your own game, take the industry by storm. Of course, none of them do that because complaining is more convenient.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 21st, 2014, 8:21 pm

Political correctness, the 'social brain trust' in gaming - games are art, etc, etc.

People need to stop confusing media posing and political sloganeering with actual accomplishment. It is like the phenomenon going on right now where a group of people seem to believe that merely believing in 'global climate change' will 'stop' it - ignoring all the failure, hypocrisy and meaningless gestures on their own end.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 21st, 2014, 10:17 pm

I think it's a perfectly reasonable argument, i've got no problem with the way their characters are now myself, but at the same time I don't think it would necessarily hurt them to think outside the box a little bit.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 21st, 2014, 10:22 pm

I really think video game journalism needs to diversify.  Too many white males writing articles like these.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 22nd, 2014, 3:00 am

pacguy-That's a really lazy cop-out answer if you ask me, you can't just learn that sort of thing overnight, it's not nearly as simple as you make it sound, and anyways that's not the point at all, it has nothing to with "complaining" being more "convenient", it's something that a lot of people feels needs to be addressed, and they do make some very valid points that should automatically be dismissed as "complaints".

Mozart-I know you're being sarcastic, but I actually think that is a good point you made(albeit unintentionally), it would be nice to see more then just white guys writing articles about gaming for the sake of getting a different perspective.

Steer-REALLY don't see what on earth climate change has to do with anything on this thread(and i've NEVER heard of any so-called "phenomenon" of people thinking it will stop just by believing in it, and exactly what do you by "failure" and "hypocrisy"? you're not making one single lick of sense here[confused]), and there's no "confusion" here.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 22nd, 2014, 3:29 am

Also remember the controversy with Resident Evil 5 ? It had black zombies because it was based in Africa (crazy eh ?) developers ain't gonna touch that sort of setting again whilst the media are hyper sensitive.
I find the whole diversity thing annoyingly OTT.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 22nd, 2014, 3:53 am

This is political correctness at its best. Too many white characters straight from an Asian country. Someone should warn Nintendo, Japanese people on the looks for opportunities to get annoyed might actually feel bad and write articles... 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 22nd, 2014, 7:32 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]I really think video game journalism needs to diversify.  Too many white males writing articles like these.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that was a good one!

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » May 22nd, 2014, 8:15 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]

pacguy-That's a really lazy cop-out answer if you ask me, you can't just learn that sort of thing overnight, it's not nearly as simple as you make it sound, and anyways that's not the point at all, it has nothing to with "complaining" being more "convenient", it's something that a lot of people feels needs to be addressed, and they do make some very valid points that should automatically be dismissed as "complaints".

Mozart-I know you're being sarcastic, but I actually think that is a good point you made(albeit unintentionally), it would be nice to see more then just white guys writing articles about gaming for the sake of getting a different perspective.

Steer-REALLY don't see what on earth climate change has to do with anything on this thread(and i've NEVER heard of any so-called "phenomenon" of people thinking it will stop just by believing in it, and exactly what do you by "failure" and "hypocrisy"? you're not making one single lick of sense here[confused]), and there's no "confusion" here.

[/QUOTE]

"You" "use" "way" "too" "many" "quotation" "marks."

Return to “Video Games General”