World's Largest Gaming Collection Up for Sale

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 7th, 2014, 11:21 am

http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=958029

The current record holder for the world's largest video game collection is auctioning it off entirely.

The current bid sits at $91K.

That's just a hair out of my price range, maybe, next time.  [smile]

Here's a link with more details of what's included but it includes complete sets for most US released consoles.  Pretty nifty.

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Worlds%20Largest%20Video%20Game%20Collection.html

So, who's going to bid?  You know you want to.  C'mon, be the envy of all your VGC loving friends.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 7th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Damn... You could go from having no collection to one of the best collections in the world (probably doesn't actually have the biggest collection, I'm sure someone has a bigger one that they are unwilling to advertise to the public). Still, it's over $230k right now. Well out of my price range. I wonder what the reserve price is?

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 8th, 2014, 3:40 am

It might be the largest video game collection but it far from complete.  I know I am picking little part of it apart but you have a Atari 7800 and no Sentinel.  I know the Critic did not like that one but it is one of the games you would buy to make your collection complete.  Similarly The Atari XE games console, what no Rescue on Fractulus?  It is the best game on the system.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 8th, 2014, 3:54 am

The guy has a BBC micro but no Chuckie Egg or Elite, the two best titles. He has an Atari 5200 but no gorf?  Okay it is a bad title but hey you are collecting. You have an Atari 2600 and for me the go to item to show you are serious is a Starpath Supercharger, right?  Well he does not have that. 

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 8th, 2014, 9:09 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]The guy has a BBC micro but no Chuckie Egg or Elite, the two best titles. He has an Atari 5200 but no gorf?  Okay it is a bad title but hey you are collecting. You have an Atari 2600 and for me the go to item to show you are serious is a Starpath Supercharger, right?  Well he does not have that. [/QUOTE]
We get it. It was never advertised as complete.

I hope this guy's getting a nice return on his investment. I don't get collectors since that means investing a lot of space and money on crappy games (especially the Atari and NES, virtually no quality control) but whatever suits them, I guess.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2014, 11:26 am

I was thinking he could get a heck of a lot more money if he sold his stuff individually or in lots.  He could probably make a living just by selling the stuff.

Then again, he might need the money right away.  And since he's already up near $100K (with 7 days left) I guess he's doing okay.  He's a good guy and I wish him the best.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » June 9th, 2014, 9:35 am

Micheal Thommason is an incredibly nice man.  He runs the website gooddealgames.com that specializes in homebrew and lost prototype produced games.  We interviewed him last weekend at CORGScon for our podcast, which will be uploaded this weekend.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » June 13th, 2014, 11:10 am

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/episode-36-michael-thomasson-is-awesome/

here is our interview with Michael... days before he put his collection up for auction

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 13th, 2014, 11:34 am

Holy Crap!

It's above $750K with 2 days remaining.  I hope it's legit for his sake.  

That's amazing.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 14th, 2014, 9:24 am

The top two bidders have zero feedback. Makes me suspicious.

Return to “Classic Gaming”