You have to admire Nintendo's dedication to Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 12th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Overall, has been very poor sales.

Nintendo never hit the panic button, instead releasing extremely polished titles, one after another. Really, their output has been A+. Maybe some of the games have not come out of the pipe as fast as you could want, but when they come out, they are fine tuned. They have stayed dedicated to gamepad, despite 'editorial' that they should unbundle it - and  we have many games that use the game pad in interesting ways, you have Miiverse, and more games to come, including a new touch screen Mario Maker, they have been 100% committed to their idea from day one until now.

The fresh lineup of games for 2014 looks good, and like every system out now, the releases are stretching into 2015 and beyond.

If you bought a Vita, you might feel burned right now - Wii U you cannot.

If you bought an Xbox One at launch, you might be disappointed at Kinect being unbundled and under supported - Wii U gamepad, you are not.

It is too bad most of the negative Wii U press prior to launch focused on how under powered the system would be compared to Xbox and PS4, but it sure is not showing up on the games releasing for all three systems, is it? Zelda U has quite a nice graphics engine it looks like, even if Link is a girl or just looks as feminine as the guy who makes the Smash Brothers games.

The system will never truly recover I think, but one thing they have going for them is a dedicated game buying base, Mario Kart and E3 momentum followed by Smash to finally drive some system sales. Also you have digital sales on eshop, VC, and down loadable retail games, those will make up some of the lost sales that are harder to attract from the broader console market of the past.

Nintendo did not react to the market, they chose to instead protect the traditional game buying model, and they are doing a doggone admirable job of it, even if they are slowly losing. Criticize whatever you like, but games come first at Nintendo, and E3 would have been extremely predictable and pitiful without Nintendo there, doing the things no one else does, and committing talent that no other company has. Look at the new Ass. Creed -  just like the old ones, except this time the history we butcher is the French Revolution. Boring. Worn out.

It is hard to respect Ubisoft and EA, they treat us like bozo's with their marketing, by contrast with Nintendo you can see the professional pride this industry has so very little of.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 13th, 2014, 5:40 am

It is threads like this that make me want to hate Nintendo.  I saw the reveal.  One new game NO X nothing for me to get my teeth into.
When you see all the triple A titles coming out for Sony PS4 and MS Xbox one you realise how wrong Nintendo got it at the start.  It is this generations Atari Jaguar.  All we need now is a new selection of cute looking games... oh we have little big planet incoming.... I think I will wait and get a next gen system not a last gen system.
Oh you can use the Kinect to move around the dashboard and make skype calls.  So it might not have loads of games but it still has functionality. 
Where was the 3ds stuff?
I see the system staying in third place. I know no one who has one or wants one.  You are just lucky Gamestick does not have a bigger advertising budget or Nintendo would be in 4th place.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » June 13th, 2014, 11:13 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I saw the reveal.  One new game NO X nothing for me to get my teeth into.[/QUOTE]Did you see the reveal? How exactly do Splatoon, Devil's Third, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Mario Maker, Mario vs. Donkey Kong for Wii U, Mario Party 10, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, and the new Starfox all equal one new game? None of those were revealed before E3. And no X? Do you mean Monolithsoft's X? Because they talked about that a lot. It's called Xenoblade Chronicles X now. Which Nintendo conference did you watch? Because it couldn't have been the one at E3.  

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » June 13th, 2014, 11:59 am

Personally, I'm very excited about the Wii U.  I have really liked the games that have come out so far (super Mario 3d land, new super Mario Wii U, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, etc).  All the games Nintendo revealed look great!  It reminds me of the time when 3DS was starting to hit it's stride, I think the Wii U will soon be doing the same. 

And yea, I'm kinda confused by the above comments that nothing (or very little) new was revealed.  There was a ton of stuff!

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 13th, 2014, 12:20 pm

For someone who hates "Ass. Creed" so much you're hell bent on talking about it a lot...

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 13th, 2014, 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan][QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I saw the reveal.  One new game NO X nothing for me to get my teeth into.[/QUOTE]Did you see the reveal? How exactly do Splatoon, Devil's Third, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Mario Maker, Mario vs. Donkey Kong for Wii U, Mario Party 10, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, and the new Starfox all equal one new game? None of those were revealed before E3. And no X? Do you mean Monolithsoft's X? Because they talked about that a lot. It's called Xenoblade Chronicles X now. Which Nintendo conference did you watch? Because it couldn't have been the one at E3.  [/QUOTE]
NES fan do not take it personally... bar one game these are just remakes of old themes.  Nothing for me to get excited about.
Lets have Star fox cart racing? Yet another star fox game... woo...
Kirby remake number? 
Mario party (snore) etc...when did they first start making them...
Xenoblade... we have been here before...
Yep X the only good incoming game on the Wii U.  Talking about it is fine I want to see the game running.
I liked the look of Hyrude warriors (not sure if I am spelling that right).  though that was announced last year.  Bayonetta 2 was announced 2 years back?  3 years?
It is just that for me there is not that much to get excited about. 

Especially since I am the one gamer on the board who they should be trying to win over.  I bought every since up to the Wii.  Everything that was commercially available in the Uk bar the NES.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 13th, 2014, 2:26 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]For someone who hates "Ass. Creed" so much you're hell bent on talking about it a lot...[/QUOTE]
Yep the normal fanboy post.  I love system X so much because of blah blah... where as system Y and Z are trash... and you want to know why coz I said so.
I know I should not have risen to the bait but it is the same old same old. 

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 13th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Sega, please stop talking about the press being on a mission against Nintendo. As everyone knows, I'm furious with Nintendo, have been for years. I've been asked to tone it down and I am trying. But, I never for one minute thought the press was responsible for Nintendo being where they are.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 13th, 2014, 3:10 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]Sega, please stop talking about the press being on a mission against Nintendo. As everyone knows, I'm furious with Nintendo, have been for years. I've been asked to tone it down and I am trying. But, I never for one minute thought the press was responsible for Nintendo being where they are.[/QUOTE]
Asking Sega to stop acting like Sega is pointless.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » June 13th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Well... aside from the Wii U being substantially underpowered when compared to its main competition (much like the Wii was last gen), there really is nothing wrong with the Wii U as a gaming platform. So I'm a little unsure why anyone would need to say, "Ya know, you have to admire Nintendo's dedication." As we all know, it hasn't exactly set the world on fire since its reveal, or the systems launch. But it's done well enough to show that there is still the Nintendo faithful out there who love and support their brand of gaming. 

I myself, haven't been a big fan of Nintendo for years. However, I still own a Gamecube and Wii. The reason for that of course is that I just love video games in general, and every once in awhile there will be a cool exclusive game or two that comes out on Nintendo's system that makes me want to buy it. With the Wii U, I'm still presently waiting. But I'm sure one day it will probably happen.      

Return to “Video Games General”