Battles with a Friend/Sibling

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Viper821

Postby Viper821 » April 24th, 2014, 1:27 pm

One thing about my older brother was that he was usually better than me at video game, even though I destroyed all my friends. There were some games where I was better, but it was usually him that one. There are however, some cases were we are so evenly match it works out to be a 50/50 battle most times. I will start off with a few:

NHL '94 (SNES): Chicago (me) vs Montreal (him) Every time we are in the same city, we must have a best of 7 battle. The last time I won the first 3 and he proceeded to win the next 4 in dramatic fashion. He's not too bad with Buffalo and occasionally uses them as well.

Blades of Steel (NES): Usually Toronto (me) vs Montreal (him) but it didn't matter. These were always classics and usually VERY low scoring (1-0 or 2-1 in a shootout was common).

Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES): Subzero (me) vs Kabal (him) while not my favourite MK game, there was nothing better than this dream match-up. He started off winning about 90% but in the end it was about 60-40 for me. Always an intense battle!

Basewars (NES): We always had fun with this title, but what stands out were our classic Osborne (Cyborg on Toronto) vs Black (Tank on Texas) battles. We used to intentionally come up short on a base just to prove who was better.

wgames771

Postby wgames771 » June 13th, 2014, 4:51 am

I usually have no problem beating my sister at games. The only time I remember her beating me was in the minigames on one of those Wii Sonic games. I was so mad then, I actually threw my cat.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » June 13th, 2014, 8:23 am

My sister used to hide her copy of Mario Kart 64 in her bedroom ... and I would steal it. Constantly.

More recently, my sister ALWAYS beats me at Perfect Dark's multiplayer (with the bots). So now I hide her copy of Mario Kart 64.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 13th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Me an my sister used to play against each other in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, I think she won once against me.

a1

Postby a1 » June 14th, 2014, 10:25 am

My brother and I have been doing Super Street Fighter 2 tournaments on the genesis for basically my whole life. We still do when we visit each other. We're pretty much dead even but sometimes one of us will go on a winning streak. The best thing is we always do 8 character tournaments with random characters, so one person might end up getting awesome characters like Ryu and Ken, and the other might end up with duds like Dee Jay and Guile.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 14th, 2014, 10:42 am

My sister is terrible at video games but we have occassionally played Co-Op on some games when we lived together (a whole decade+ ago). We beat Super Mario Bros 3 together as well as all the games on the Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. I"m really hoping her kids become big gamers as they get older because it'd be fun to share the hobby with them.

Luigi & Peach

Re: Battles with a Friend/Sibling

Postby Luigi & Peach » September 16th, 2015, 2:27 pm

My brothers and I would play Goldeneye for hours when we were younger. It would get pretty crowded with the four of us. I had a bit of an age advantage over them at the time. The only rule was NO Oddjob.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 18th, 2015, 12:46 am

Highlights for me and my younger brother:

Mario Kart SNES--battle mode. My favorite version as the levels were all flat and the feather was an awesome item to avoid red shells.

Goldeneye, 64--our rules, "licensed to kill", aka "one shot and you're dead". Discouraged non-strategic running and gunning.

NWO Revenge, 64--GREAT wrestling game. Easily my favorite of all time.

Halo CE--no shields, only pistols and shotguns. Favorite levels were "chill out" and "hang em high".

Freedom Fighters, GC--sleeper action/super lite strategy game with a fun capture the flag mode.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 23rd, 2015, 5:10 pm

Voor wrote:Highlights for me and my younger brother:

Mario Kart SNES--battle mode. My favorite version as the levels were all flat and the feather was an awesome item to avoid red shells.

Goldeneye, 64--our rules, "licensed to kill", aka "one shot and you're dead". Discouraged non-strategic running and gunning.

NWO Revenge, 64--GREAT wrestling game. Easily my favorite of all time.

Halo CE--no shields, only pistols and shotguns. Favorite levels were "chill out" and "hang em high".

Freedom Fighters, GC--sleeper action/super lite strategy game with a fun capture the flag mode.

Some great games here, it's tough to say whether SNES Mario Kart battle mode was better or Mario Kart 64 battle mode was better, I had a lot of fun with both. Always liked the water battle mode level in the first game where you could feather jump into the water, grab the red shell, and lay in wait for your target. Also I'm glad to see somebody mention the excellent N64 wrestling games, that engine they used in Revenge was excellent even though it was pretty slow in a 4 player battle. Personally my favorite of the bunch of WWF No Mercy, great roster, great character creation, great selection of the old venues, particularly the old RAW is WAR and blue halo Smackdown venues. The only downer of that game is that annoying bug that causes your cartridge save data to erase when you play through a single-player championship mode, I got so frustrated from that I tossed my cartridge in the trash. :( I'd like to get that game again, if I can find one the later pressings that doesn't have the save game bug.

I've probably had more competitions over the years with friends in both Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Golf Toadstool Tour than any other games. Those two games are just a lot of fun even today, particularly Double Dash. Beware the Bridge of Death in DK Mountain!

Tron

Postby Tron » September 23rd, 2015, 9:32 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:My brothers and I would play Goldeneye for hours when we were younger. It would get pretty crowded with the four of us. I had a bit of an age advantage over them at the time. The only rule was NO Oddjob.

I remember playing that & Twisted Metal 2 in college. Funny that we had the same rule: No Oddjob! Lol

In high school we used to gamble on Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. We'd each pick 3 guys and best two out of three won. Usually it was $10 a match. With guys I could beat easily I'd mess around, but when I needed my go-to guys I'd usually go with Ken, Guile & Vega. Of course depending on match ups I'd sometimes mix it up.

Return to “Classic Gaming”