How do you fell about all the re-releases these days?

General and high profile video game topics.
HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 15th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Some people aren't majorly involved with collecting, so releasing all the major Halo titles on one disc compensates for selling your 360...

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » June 15th, 2014, 12:25 pm

It seemed to me like Segatarious actually included Nintendo alongside Sony and Microsoft as worthy of some some scrutiny or criticism, so that could be considered progress. I am one of the people that adore Wind Waker's art style, so I definitely cannot empathize there.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 15th, 2014, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=Dogtanian]It seemed to me like Segatarious actually included Nintendo alongside Sony and Microsoft as worthy of some some scrutiny or criticism, so that could be considered progress. I am one of the people that adore Wind Waker's art style, so I definitely cannot empathize there.[/QUOTE]

I criticize every company consistently.

For exp, Nintendo has never pushed a subscription or advertising heavy game model down my throat - so how can I take them to task for that? That is not bias, lol. Believe it or not, console altruists, there are dfifference between game companies, and the value they deliver in a product, and the quality of their products.

Nintendo's strategy seems to be to sub out some well known games to lesser developers for a quick project for them, freeing up their most talented teams for original projects. I rarely buy these games, but once in a while I do. I bought Star Fox, but I got it for $10 or something, I do not remember, I made a topic about it. I am not going to pay $40 for a damn remake, I know that.

The game market sets its own prices.

A top tier game like Mario World U or Mario Kart U is $60 on the market (though you could find them for $50 without much trouble.) Top price for top tier game.  Fine, I accept that. Now - why would I pay $60 for an EA re release on Wii U, or a Ubisoft port of a game they have reskinned 4 times in 4 years? That is not a 'full price game'. They are not trying as hard as Nintendo in the first place, and their games are not as polished or fun as Nintendo's are in the second place.  There is a crowd of people on the internet who insisted Sonic All Stars Racing Wii U was 'better than any Mario Kart' when it came out. I played the demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. I would not rank it above the DS Mario Kart. Now that Mario Kart 8 is out for Wii U, we see what a true current gen kart racer is all about, and Sonic is a pale blue imitator next to it. I would almost never pay full price for a 3rd party Wii U game, because Nintendo has set the bar on quality, and they can not vault over the bar. So I will not pay the same price as a Nintendo game.

Nor will I for remakes. If I pay $40 or $35 for Zelda Link Between Worlds, fine. But $40 for a remake of Ocarina? No thanks.

At the end of year, after Black Friday, say the second or third week in Dec, game sellers get more motivated - and will sell 3 games for the price of two. Great. Then I am willing to buy 2 top tier games, and get a lower tier game or remake for free.

The market sets its own prices.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » June 15th, 2014, 4:18 pm

I agree w/ velcrozombie. I like waiting on a game that I think will come out with a definitive edition later. Right now I'm waiting on bioshock infinite final edition. I like that developers continue to add content after the game has been released. What I don't like is when they withhold content prior to release, nickel & dime ya, lock content on the disc or have day 1 dlc.

As far as rereleases go; I don't mind it. If it's something I want I'll be happy to buy another version. I think sometimes we think the market is going to get stagnate with all the rereleases, but then sooner or later something new & fresh will come along.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 15th, 2014, 4:48 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]
I absolutely HATE the fact that these companies sell a game, make a ton of money on DLC, then turn around less than a year later and repackage the same game WITH ALL DLC for a nice, new affordable price!  

Why do we as gamers allow them to do this? Why hasn't there been more of a backlash towards this type of marketing? 
[/QUOTE]

They've actually conditioned me to not buy games as a consumer.  If I know a game is likely to have a "game of the year edition" coming out next year (specifically if its made by bethesda games, rockstar games, Sony 1st party,  ea games etc), I wait to buy it.  While I'm waiting, I can play "game of the year" editions of last year's best games.  By being a little behind the times, you can save a ton of money buying games.  These re-releases probably help the game companies milk impatient customers by getting them to purchase the same game twice.  However, it causes them to lose money with me, because they have to release the game twice before I even buy it once.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 15th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Hey segatarious, how's that five player couch co-op treating you in Mario Kart. You know, with couch co-op being so intrinsic to gaming, and Nintendo making the gamepad itself, I'm sure they can do 5 player as well as a multi-platform Sega game that is from 2012. Yeah, 18 extra months and only one system to develop for and they can't even squeeze in the obvious use for the pad that Sega figured out in the first month. And I'm amazed a game with 18 extra months now seems better than a similar game from right after a console launched. I guess Sega and everyone else should take a lesson for you. Don't support a Nintendo system early on, because eventually Nintendo will release a game later on. Got it. People who played a quality Kart game for a year and a half were foolish to play something in that year and a half, when they could have enjoyed a great game of waiting for a kart game instead.

I just finished Sherlock Season 3. Better cancel my cable until the next one comes because I couldn't possibly enjoy ANOTHER show in the time until season 4!

I almost always agree with how much credit you give Nintendo. I never agree with how little credit you give everyone else.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 15th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Pacguy19-It's stupid to generalize gamers as not being "smart" just cause certain games sell well like Mario Party(the critics likes those games, does that make him stupid as well?), people love Mario, of course those games are going to sell well, it really shouldn't be that surprising.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 15th, 2014, 11:07 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
I criticize every company consistently.

For exp, Nintendo has never pushed a subscription or advertising heavy game model down my throat - so how can I take them to task for that? That is not bias, lol. Believe it or not, console altruists, there are dfifference between game companies, and the value they deliver in a product, and the quality of their products.

A top tier game like Mario World U or Mario Kart U is $60 on the market (though you could find them for $50 without much trouble.) Top price for top tier game.  Fine, I accept that. Now - why would I pay $60 for an EA re release on Wii U, or a Ubisoft port of a game they have reskinned 4 times in 4 years? That is not a 'full price game'. They are not trying as hard as Nintendo in the first place, and their games are not as polished or fun as Nintendo's are in the second place.  There is a crowd of people on the internet who insisted Sonic All Stars Racing Wii U was 'better than any Mario Kart' when it came out. I played the demo and was thoroughly unimpressed.
[/QUOTE]

Haha, you are so right.  You get what you pay for.  I can't believe Mario Kart doesn't actually let you chat with others while playing.  That  defeats playing with friends online if you can't actually talk to them.  I'm fine with not chatting with people you don't know, but like to catch up with friends when we're online together.

As for the subs stuff I'll gladly take an online that actually works.  These days, I'm getting something like 48 games combined between both consoles a year.  On the PS4/PS3/Vita it's something equally crazy.  On Amazon you can get a year's subscription for $40.

As for the Sonic game, Nintendo is running a sale now.  I think it's $21 for the download version.  That's a great price.  I normally don't play these types of games and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Heck, I played it way more than Mario Kart 8, before moving on to checking out my free copy of Windwaker.

As for the actual thread, I'm fine with re-releases.  Heck, Nintendo does it all the time.  Likewise, there are a number of PS2 games I never played in the day and was able to check out the HD copies on the PS3.  Ratchet and Clank immediately come to mind as a great port.

Personally, I'd wish Nintendo would publish a few more original properties akin to Eternal Darkness than rehash some of their past offerings but that's just because I've enjoyed those far more than the typical Mario and Zelda re-releases.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 16th, 2014, 5:36 am

The bad thing about PS+ is, as soon as you stop paying, your games are locked off.......

Where as with Nintendo, the 'Ambassador' games are on your 3DS forever. The 10 cent Wii U games are there forever. The free Club Nintendo games are there forever. Subscriptions are lame because you pay in, and yet are not choosing what you want your money goes towards. And then you have MS funding m,movies like 'Pulp' with your money, which is regrettable. And then you are bombarded with adds all over your OS, it is as bad as cable TV, and yet worse, because they are using your internet to pipe their trash onto a machine that should be about choice,a place to actively play games, not passively consume advertising. You do not get what you pay for with a subscription - you get what they choose to send you for your money.

As far as new IPs and fresh IP's Nintendo is the king of this. If you cannot stand Nintendo, I cannot imagine how stagnant the rest of the industry must be for you. You can go down Sony's IP list especially, and see all the imitation Nintendo games, right down to Sweet Tooth Smash Brothers.  When Nintendo revealed the new Zelda, it was exciting, because no one knew what the game would look like, and no one knew the setting, and no one yet knows what the controls will be. Where as with Ubisoft's Ass. Creed, it is exactly what you would expect, right down to the usual brutal murder of those in power with comic book stupid jumping, fighting, and out of time technology. It is a bizarro fantasy world, that craps all over history with a complete lack of balance or context, not to mention a brain dead stupid sci fi premise behind the entire 'historical' plot , and featuring hedonistic violence that detaches itself from any morality, yet pretends to be for a moral good. It is amazing to me, how 'liberal' game makers and game journalist are, or at least pretend to be, and yet they have no moral or ethical standards for the content of their medium at all. A supposedly high minded social justice industry, only capable of making low ball, degrading garbage.

No, I will take Nintendo over that. Nintendo makes some strange games, but they are not exploitative nor destructive in theme, and that goes a long ways. Their M.O. is always game play, their talent is by far the most stable and deepest, so it is no wonder their games are constantly on a higher plane of quality.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 16th, 2014, 9:23 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
Where as with Nintendo, the 'Ambassador' games are on your 3DS forever. The 10 cent Wii U games are there forever. The free Club Nintendo games are there forever. [/QUOTE]

They are only lame if you don't have them on your console.  [tongue]

How many new 10 cent games have you gotten in the last month?  That's right, zero.

As for the free Club Nintendo games, what a crock of crap.  I entered all of my points from the last 5 years right before E3.  I had about 700 coins.  I used a few on one of the N64 games, and the stupid code doesn't work. I get some error saying it hasn't been released yet.  Seriously?  The coins expire at the end of the month.  Furthermore to get coins, you need to buy additional games.  

Want to guess how many additional games I've had to buy to get free games on Sony or on Microsoft?  Zero...48 games a year for the price of one $40 game on MS.  Something crazy like 60 games for Sony's systems for $50.  That's about a buck a game.  Plus, you can actually talk to people online while playing games.  It's freaking crazy!  

As for Assassin's Creed, you sure do love to talk a lot about Ass--and dude ass at that.  You wouldn't happen to harbor a special love for that sort of thing would you?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  [wink]

Return to “Video Games General”