Did UbiSoft screw PC gamers over?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 18th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Recently, I was searching "Watch_Dogs PC patch" due to stuttering issues with the game. Then I stumbled upon THIS!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135461-Watch-Dogs-PC-Modders-Find-Hidden-E3-Settings-Improve-Performance-Update

Now, initially, I tried to deny a downgrade. But after a comparison video I saw, I knew something was changed from 2012. A LOT was changed. But THIS, it does make me angry. The 2012 visuals are in the files. The better rain, the shaders, bloom effects, even some NPC reactions and explosions! Now, question, why the HELL would UbiSoft DO this? Was there a reason to go to the console graphics (which are a FAR CRY from the way the worse mod looks, I'll be sure to put a comparison video below)? I have a theory. Now, I'll use the same disclaimer I use with my Catholicism arguments. I can't prove this, but I have evidence!

You know how heavily Watch_Dogs was promoted heavily on PS4? They may have said PC was the premiere platform for the game, but I heard WAYYY more about the PS4 release. Hell, it has additional content. Well, here's what I think happened. Sony paid them off. They did it to make the PS4 look just as good as the PC version. So, they implemented the graphics of the PS4 version, and NPC reactions, and a few other things to the PC version at the last second. That would explain the poor optimization and stuttering some players experience.

I installed the Worse patch. Instead of 45-60 FPS on ultra at 1440P, I can actually get 87FPS! And this game looks BEAUTIFUL. Not to mention, the motorcycles handle a little differently. Now, this also explains high system requirements. I had a buddy play the game on a 5650! And it WORKED, and it ran good, minus the stuttering. The game, as it is retail, doesn't look like it warrants high system requirements. But now, it makes perfect sense! Why UbiSoft would screw people over like this is beyond me. I wouldn't mind, but the fact that the effects are in the files shows UbiSoft is covering up. Ubisofts next patch better unlock all this stuff, or else I'm going to be PISSED. And UbiSoft can't say it was a lie! They can't, because it's FACT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDvO6q8ZiJc

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 18th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the info, Stephen! Is your rig nVidia or AMD, by the way? I'm interested in getting this game (and using the mod, obviously), but I've heard rumors that the game runs poorly on AMD graphics hardware. Do you know if this is true? And if so, does the mod improve AMD performance? 

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 18th, 2014, 2:31 pm

My rig is AMD, usually. But I borrowed a friends Nvidia Card because of the poor optimization. Later I should try using my R9 290X. And I tried the standalone game with an AMD card. 30fps MAX usually. It ran pretty cruddy. I should probably test it.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 18th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Perhaps the PC market isn't profitable enough to warrant the extra TLC ? It's not uncommon for the PC to receive ports of premier console titles rather than being designed with the PC in mind.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 18th, 2014, 4:21 pm

I'd agree IF the files weren't in the game Sut!

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 18th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I blame Ubisoft for putting out a game that was not finished.  Apparently only the PS4 version looks good. 

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 18th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Astro, the game runs fine with the patch. If they just unlock this in their OFFICIAL patch, it'll be fine.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 18th, 2014, 8:17 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]Astro, the game runs fine with the patch. If they just unlock this in their OFFICIAL patch, it'll be fine.[/QUOTE]
I just looked at it ... awesome forget I spoke that is the best looking version of the game.  It makes you wonder why they did not just leave it as it was. 

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 18th, 2014, 9:34 pm

I heard about this yesterday when Totalbiscuit did a video on it, he came to pretty much the same conclusion-either Sony paid them off or they were just grossly incompetent, I certainly wouldn't put it past Sony to do something like that.

The PS4 version is certainly not the only version that looks good though.

The game was made to run on Nvidia only, any machine with AMD that tries to run the game will suffer from a crippling framerate, freezes, crashes and glitches galore.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 19th, 2014, 1:26 pm

I think this is the problem with PC gaming in a Microcosm, need to swap graphics cards, need to download patches/mods, half arsed ports, etc. consoles just plug and play and are already optimised for your console.
Sure PC's can be more powerful but who wants that hassle when a new game is released.

Return to “Modern Gaming”