Super Mario Bros.

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Jon1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Jon1 » June 23rd, 2014, 12:33 am

It had been years, but I just played it through today, still a great game. I'd always wondered exactly when the game was released in America, as well as the NES itself. Apparently the NES was released to test markets around New York City in October 1985, that must have been awesome to be one of the people that got it then. There was another test market in early 1986 in L.A. Then in late 1986 it was released nationwide. I remember waking up one morning and my parents and my brother came home with the "Action Set", which was released in November 1988. I know now that's what we got because it came with the Zapper, and Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. I was so young, my dad probably got it right when it came out. I wonder how many people got the NES during its launch in late 1986.

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/167392/sad_but_true_we_cant_prove_when_.php?print=1

Rev1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Rev1 » June 23rd, 2014, 6:24 pm

I love the original Super Mario Bros. What a great game. It took me years to actually sit down long enough to actually beat the game and then I beat the game through the hidden levels in the same sitting. Good times.

Jon1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Jon1 » June 23rd, 2014, 7:43 pm

That figure about the Action Set being released in November 1988 is wrong. There's no way we got ours that late. I did some research, and people are saying that got their Action Set in late 1986 or 1987. It was around that time, probably 1987 when we got our NES. It was literally one of my first memories (I was 4). My brother loves to tell the story how my dad would wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and would play Super Mario Bros. It was a great way to get indoctrinated into video games. The article I linked is about how they don't even know when the game came out, it's interesting.

velcrozombie1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 23rd, 2014, 8:34 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]That figure about the Action Set being released in November 1988 is wrong. There's no way we got ours that late. I did some research, and people are saying that got their Action Set in late 1986 or 1987. It was around that time, probably 1987 when we got our NES. It was literally one of my first memories (I was 4). My brother loves to tell the story how my dad would wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and would play Super Mario Bros. It was a great way to get indoctrinated into video games. The article I linked is about how they don't even know when the game came out, it's interesting.[/QUOTE]

I thought that date seemed off: I'm almost positive I got my NES Action Set for Christmas in 1987 (I would have been 5). Didn't beat the game until I was 13 or 14; I dug my Nintendo out after several years of only playing the Genesis and started playing a lot of my old games again around that time. My Dad also played it sometimes (along with Ice Hockey), at least for the first couple of years; he didn't play a game again until playing Wii Sports bowling at an Easter party a few years ago. One day I'd like to beat the entire game without using a continue (Start + A).

Gentlegamer1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Gentlegamer1 » June 23rd, 2014, 11:18 pm

I was in third grade Fall 86 - Spring 87, and I knew a kid who had the Action set, he had the zapper and the SMB + Duck Hunt duo cart, so it may have debuted Christmas 86 or winter early 87.

Jon1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Jon1 » June 24th, 2014, 11:24 am

You don't think of that game as being hard but it is. I've never beat it on one continue, I'm trying now. I never beat it at all until All Stars came out on the SNES. I didn't know about the extra levels. I was never one of those kids who knew all the cheap ways to get extra lives and stuff. Besides the warps all I knew was a secret extra life on the first level. When I was 5, it was a b**** getting through level 4-1 with the Lakitu dropping the Spinies. And the fish levels were really hard.

Greisha1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Greisha1 » June 24th, 2014, 12:40 pm

@Rev:

Do you mean the "Second Loop?" I haven't heard of any hidden levels in SMB. (Unless you're talking about Lost Levels / SMB2J.)

--

I thought I was pretty good at SMB, until I played the "Lost Levels" on Wii's VC. ARGH! The original is still fun to play, though.

HardcoreSadism1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 24th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Both this and Super Mario Land on the Gameboy are fantastic. I do, however, lean to the latter just because I've managed to play that more than the NES game.

I miss the days when Mario was as fresh.

Vexer1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Vexer1 » June 24th, 2014, 1:49 pm

My first experience with this was the "deluxe" version on Game Boy Color, I unlocked the extra levels without even realizing it, and man were they tough, but somehow I managed to beat them.

Rev1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Rev1 » June 24th, 2014, 6:36 pm

[QUOTE=Greisha]@Rev:

Do you mean the "Second Loop?" I haven't heard of any hidden levels in SMB. (Unless you're talking about Lost Levels / SMB2J.)

--

I thought I was pretty good at SMB, until I played the "Lost Levels" on Wii's VC. ARGH! The original is still fun to play, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... sorry, not hidden levels. Basically the goombas become the black shelled guys that you can't really kill.

Lost Levels is crazy hard. My sister and I beat that sometime in the 90's and it took forever. I only beat SMB with one continue like 6 months ago. I had never beaten it until then.

Return to “Now Playing”