Isn't it interesting that one game can make a controller survive ? (smash brothers)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Isn't it interesting that one game can make a controller survive ? (smash brothers)

Postby Segatarious1 » June 26th, 2014, 7:43 am

http://kotaku.com/wii-u-gamecube-controller-adapter-out-this-holiday-for-1588733203

Many Super Smash Bros. fans grew up playing Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo GameCube system, and some will always prefer that system's controller. The Nintendo GameCube controller also could be used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii. To honor that devoted loyalty to a classic way to play, Nintendo is introducing an adapter that lets up to four original Nintendo GameCube or WaveBird controllers work with Wii U. The adapter will be available at a suggested retail price of $19.99. Nintendo is also launching a retro Nintendo GameCube controller with Super Smash Bros. markings at a suggested retail price of $29.99. Additionally, Nintendo is offering a special bundle that includes Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, one special Nintendo GameCube controller and one adapter at a suggested retail price of $99.99.

Well, at least it works with your old GC controllers.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 26th, 2014, 8:46 am

The guys on Nintendo Voice Chat (IGN Nintendo Podcast) said it best: "That's your fightstick Nintendo; don't forget it."  It's funny to me that so many people at the time were down on the Gamecube controller (I always quite liked it), and that it does pretty clearly have a weak d-pad (it's the perfect shape and placement, but way too small), and here it is in 2014 their equivalent to a Capcom Arcade stick for one major fighting franchise. 

I hope they keep using it for this reason for decades.  It's going to be really cool seeing this thing for sale at Wal-Mart again.  Now if we could get some of the other wired controllers back for VC games (even if they just wired into the WiiMote).  I'd love to get a new, liscenced NES, SNES, and N64 controller.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 26th, 2014, 10:05 am

It's nice to see Nintendo finally showing some awareness of the fighting game community. For years they either did nothing one way or the other or they actively discouraged using the Smash games competitively (through the introduction of mechanics like random tripping and making combos more difficult in Brawl). Last year they nearly yanked Melee out of EVO 2013 before everyone set their customer service lines and Twitter on fire, forcing them to negotiate with the EVO management and find a way to keep the game in the tournament. They finally seem to have taken a "If you can't beat'em..." stance, between things like taking the tripping out of the outcoming Smash, hosting their own tournaments and now this.

As someone who haunts fighting game websites like Shoryuken and Event Hubs on a semi-regular basis, it's amazing to see the amount of attention Melee gets now after returning to EVO last year; the supporters of that game kept it afloat for years when it was the red-haired stepchild of the fighting game scene by holding their own independent tournaments (similar to Mortal Kombat, strangely enough), and now it's become accepted by all but the most hardened, old-school players as a legitimate fighting game.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 26th, 2014, 10:36 am

The GC controller also works far better for Mario Kart. My lap times almost halved when I tried one out.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:20 pm

[QUOTE=velcrozombie] and now it's become accepted by all but the most hardened, old-school players as a legitimate fighting game.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, from what I've seen, for a long time it was considered too beginner or "button-mashy."  To anyone who thinks it is a button-masher, the question simply becomes the question you ask whenever someone wants to lable something as not being skill-based: If it's not based on skill, how do the same people always end up being in the playoffs with each other? 

I can't even follow high level Smash matches.  I never got into it enough to get what's happening, what strategies and tricks are being used, and what counter moves people are making before I ever realize anything has started to happen.  I do understand though that the people who get it really get it.  They're counting animation frames, picking characters based on who counters who, etc.  I actually look forward to getting into it when the new Smash Bros drops on Wii U. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 26th, 2014, 3:35 pm

This is some great news (heard about it ~a month ago). Nintendo was smart to do this although I hope they decide to make more NGC controllers in the process. I had to import my current one from Japan (white model, by far the best NGC controller on the market). While I don't love the NGC controller it really works well for Smash Bros. A lot of the advance techniques would be drastically harder on controllers like the Pro Controller or heaven forbid the giant touchpad controller.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 26th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Despite being a minority opinion, I think controllers such as the Xbox Duke was very decent for First Person Shooters and platformers. My hands have a high geek-to-tree branch ratio but that's how I see it.

Again not a fan of the GameCube controller. I don't mind an unconventional layout, it's just the buttons needed all to be circular, and the C-Stick actually needs a cap.

In the vocal minority, I know.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 26th, 2014, 5:08 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]My hands have a high geek-to-tree branch ratio but that's how I see it.
[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be an a-hole, but what the hell does that mean? 

Once in a while you throw-out some interesting terminology...or you've got some funky auto-correct going on.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 26th, 2014, 5:46 pm

[QUOTE=pacguy19]The GC controller also works far better for Mario Kart. My lap times almost halved when I tried one out.[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart Wii?

I used wiimote+ nunchuck on that game, I doubt you would 'halve' my lap times!  [wink]

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 26th, 2014, 6:16 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]My hands have a high geek-to-tree branch ratio but that's how I see it.
[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be an a-hole, but what the hell does that mean? 

Once in a while you throw-out some interesting terminology...or you've got some funky auto-correct going on.

[/QUOTE]

I have nerdy hands.

Return to “Modern Gaming”