2014/7/15: Xbox One: Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2014, 7:57 pm

I finally posted my first set of Xbox One reviews!  Let me know what you think about them.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 16th, 2014, 12:50 am

Pretty good, Ryse sounds like it's all style and not a lot of substance, I liked Alien Rage(though I didn't think it was that hard) but Ryse just dosen't look that amazing.

So Dave, are you planning on checking Dead Rising 3 next?

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » July 16th, 2014, 8:46 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I disagree about Ryse which I give a B. [/QUOTE]

Its interesting to compare the reviews of Ryse to Batman:Arkham Asylum which got a B+; Dave equated the two with their combat systems, praised both for their graphics, including voice acting.  The games both had repetition, whether its beating up John Goodman or crawling through vents.  They both had impressive cut scenes, and both were too long, in Dave's opinion.  Yes, Ryse also had microtransaction, but otherwise only the subject matter seems to differ.  Plus Ryse happens in the daylight, and my eyes have grown to really dislike games that dwell in the half light and shadows. 

(As a pure aside, I expect a game like Ryse to be about stabbing people.  Arkham Asylum's darker, edgier, creepier, over the top violent, horror movie version of Batman however is something that I lament. That's what it takes to get a 'return to glory' icon?  Blech.  So glad there aren't just AAA video games, as I can enjoy a lighter version like the Brave and the Bold instead.)

rsz_hammers.jpg

Edit: corrected formatting issue

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 16th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Which version of Alien Rage did you play?  I played the Steam version and didn't encounter any glitches like that.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 16th, 2014, 1:56 pm

A D for Ryse could be right.  However, after you explore the library a bit more I think it moves into the C range.  IMHO Crimson Dragon and Spartan Assault would most likely fall into the D range.

I'd probably give Ryse a C or C+.  You don't need to purchase any micro transactions and you can still unlock almost everything in a single play through.  Had I wizened up a little on the combat side a bit earlier I'm sure everything would have been unlocked by the end.

Did you try out the Gladiator Mode?  You can play co-op online.  You'll compete for score and gain Exp to unlock threads and armor to deck your Gladiator in style.  I could see how that would be addicting to some.

As to future Xbox Ones game I'd recommend picking up the full Killer Instinct game for $40.  It includes all the characters, outfits, and the original Killer Instinct arcade game.  There are cheaper versions for all characters at $20 or you can buy them individually at $5 a piece.  But to avoid all the other crap, just buy the full game.  It's worth it.

The other game that I'd recommend is to grab the download version of Plants vs Zombies.  It's on sale this week for $23.99 if you have a Gold Subscription.  It's primarily an online game but does support a local co-op mode, although it's far weaker than the rest of the game's online modes.  And you need an Origin account which blows.  Outside of that, it's a great, arcade like game you'll enjoy.

And I know you hate subscriptions, but $50 a year for 48 games between the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 is a heck of a deal.  You'll also get discounts on other games as well, Plants vs Zombies being a good example.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 16th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Damn, the graphics this generation are crazy realistic. I thought that the last generation had good looking games but these are pretty solid. Nice start to the Xbox One section.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 16th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Scotland - Batman also had an open world to explore, far more interesting environments, and a better storyline.  Also, you didn't have to "finish" every single bad guy you faced (yawn).

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » July 17th, 2014, 5:08 am

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]IMHO Crimson Dragon and Spartan Assault would most likely fall into the D range.
[/QUOTE]

I actually liked Halo: Spartan Assault (don't own a Xbox One, so played it on Xbox 360). Yes, it was too easy and too short, but I don't know. I had fun with it. [smile]

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » July 17th, 2014, 9:43 am

I wonder what the critic would think of the various Warriors games by Koei.

The Ryse review made me think of Warriors: Legends of Troy (PS3 + XBOX360), from that series, as it features some similar mechanics. It's a pain that soo many videos of the Warriors games out there seem to feature ridiculously over-leveled characters though.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » July 17th, 2014, 11:26 am

I'm actually shocked about the D rating.

This post has been edited

Reason: Language and content in poor taste

Ryse is actually really bad, the D is deserved. It's Crytek after all and so far all they made are Tech-Demos with basically no real gameplay involved.

Return to “Review Feedback”