Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » July 22nd, 2014, 11:58 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

I've always had a great experience as a consumer with Gamestop.  

[/QUOTE]

People can be okay over there if they want to be, however we need more experienced personnel handling midnight launch events. 

Currently their a lot of their practices are symptoms of "Monopoly Syndrome".

Gamehead1

Postby Gamehead1 » July 23rd, 2014, 12:09 am

Unpopular opinions, I have a lot of these and its just preference but they can anger a lot of people in certain discussions, but here they are.

I think Nintendo's consoles and games in general are seriously overrated and feel as though nostalgia is why they get praised. Though I do like a lot of their games, they aren't as great as they are made out to be.

I prefer Sonic's games over Mario's. They just feel more fun to me, the speed and great level design help. I like Mario's games, but I prefer Sonic's a bit more.

I like the Sega 32X, sure it failed miserably and only had a handful of games, but there were some seriously great games on that add-on. I haven't played the Sega CD yet so that opinion will have to wait.

I think digital distribution is a good idea, while I prefer getting my games physically. Getting them digitally doesn't hurt. It's easier to manage a steam library of games than a physical library of games (they take up space)

I like the idea of cloud storage as I trust a professional google server more than I trust my hard drive. However I only use cloud storage for backing up files. 

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 23rd, 2014, 12:10 am

Modern Sonic does not suck, and Sonic Adventure 2 wasn't the last good Sonic game. Sonic Rush and Sonic Generations are both absolutely fantastic games, and just as good as any of the classic Sonic titles.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 23rd, 2014, 12:22 am

I disagree with the claim that Nintendo are too proud to put out junk.

-Wii Music was pure junk
-Yoshi's Safari was trash
-Super Scope 6 was an awful, unresponsive piece of garbage
-Odama felt thrown together
-Yoshi's New Island felt very tired
-early games like Urban Champions, Donkey Kong 3, and CluClu Land were missing a common Nintendo ingredient: fun.

They're my favorite company, but they don't have a perfect track record when it comes to quality.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 23rd, 2014, 4:23 am

Speaking of midnight launches, I personally don't see the appeal of them.  I would personally much rather wait til the afternoon to pick up a new release rather then stand in a long line late at night just for the sake of getting the game a few hours earlier, to me it's just not worth the aggravation(and if I did go to a midnight launch, by the time I got home I would likely be too tired to play the game anyways)

I liked Yoshi's New Island, but i'm personally not a big fan of the Paper Mario series.

Logan Ruckman- Agreed 100%, I love modern Sonic as much as classic Sonic, I remember saving up for months to buy a Dreamcast just so I could get my hands on Sonic Adventure.  Another Sonic game that i think gets way too much hate is Lost Worlds, I thought it was a really solid game.

Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex is a criminally underrated entry in the series.

Same with Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 23rd, 2014, 6:51 am

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]I disagree with the claim that Nintendo are too proud to put out junk. -Wii Music was pure junk -Yoshi's Safari was trash -Super Scope 6 was an awful, unresponsive piece of garbage -Odama felt thrown together -Yoshi's New Island felt very tired -early games like Urban Champions, Donkey Kong 3, and CluClu Land were missing a common Nintendo ingredient: fun. They're my favorite company, but they don't have a perfect track record when it comes to quality.[/QUOTE]

What a list!

Wii Music is not junk, you may hate it, fine, but is is very polished and well programmed.

I have never played Yoshi Safari, the Super Scope came out 20 years ago or better, lol at Odama being 'thrown together', you did not like the Yoshi game, thats cool, does not mean it was junk, and then you got a NES era brawler, a perfectly fine arcade game, and a very clever puzzle game.

What a list.

No, like I said, Nintendo has professional pride. The worst part of modern gaming is all these subscription services, if you want a future of junk, then by all means, support those.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 24th, 2014, 12:54 am

The GameCube controller is my favorite controller. It's just so damn comfortable.

Yoshi's Story is a fantastic game. Maybe not as good as Yoshi's Island, but it's a helluva fun game.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 24th, 2014, 7:19 am

Here is an unpopular opinion I have :

I am sick and tired of the feminist movement in game culture, and the racial angle, any and all of it.

Because there is nothing there. Games are extremely stupid and immature. I could give countless exp, but there is no need. Nearly every premise in gaming is stupid and immature, and poorly thought out - because :

1/ Game play and story are oil and water
2/ Gaming is the bottom drawer of narrative talent - you only go there is you cannot make it anywhere else.

I will give you an example- Activision has kind of a nice history of publishing B squad and C squad shooters. Play Cabelas Dangerous Hunts 2013. - They HAVE to have a story mode in this game - I cannot tell you why. It is of very low quality, and melodramatic, but still politically self aware. Because, despite the ridiculous level of shooting animals in this game, (nothing at all like any kind of hunting, unless you were walking through a zoo),  your character relates that he is a game warden to his tour guide in Africa, and they both mouth off how much they love and respect conservationism. Two minutes later their is a 'stampede' and you are shooting literally dozens of wildebeest in the head. And then leopards. And then rhinos. And then gazelles, why not? And then an elephant.....

So why even bother with this industry?

There is nothing there to begin with, as far as story depth. Oh no, this 'game warden' is white - would this game be more 'inclusive' if he was black or a woman, or gay? No, its just stupid. Game culutre has always been bad, and antisocial, but this political lip service from companies like EA, and EVERY major news site, and all the bottom feeder ones who can only immitate opinions, is terrible. Where is the fun? Lost is pretentious quest for legitimacy, that they will never have, because they are incapable of producing it. Too many white people in the mushroom kingdom!! I am outrage! Peach is not a feminist - I am outrage! Samus has feelings - I am outrage!

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » July 24th, 2014, 9:31 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Here is an unpopular opinion I have :

I am sick and tired of the feminist movement in game culture, and the racial angle, any and all of it.

Because there is nothing there. Games are extremely stupid and immature. I could give countless exp, but there is no need. Nearly every premise in gaming is stupid and immature, and poorly thought out - because :

1/ Game play and story are oil and water
2/ Gaming is the bottom drawer of narrative talent - you only go there is you cannot make it anywhere else.
[/QUOTE]

Didn't you post this a day or two ago over in the feminist trainwreck section?  I see another derailment coming...

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » July 24th, 2014, 9:42 am

For someone who loves Nintendo so much you have a pretty cold, monolithic view of gaming.

Return to “Video Games General”