Destiny is out Tuesday

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby ptdebate1 » September 6th, 2014, 4:45 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]Actually no it DOES NOT require an always-on connection for story mode, you can easily play through that by yourself WITHOUT a connection, you only NEED to be online for the multiplayer aspects like raids, strikes and PVP, which is stuff I personally don't care about anyways, so there's no way in hell i'm cancelling my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

In not sure where you're getting this information, because it's completely untrue.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-requires-an-internet-connection-to-work

Weekend_Warrior1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » September 6th, 2014, 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Vexer]Actually no it DOES NOT require an always-on connection for story mode, you can easily play through that by yourself WITHOUT a connection, you only NEED to be online for the multiplayer aspects like raids, strikes and PVP, which is stuff I personally don't care about anyways, so there's no way in hell i'm cancelling my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

In not sure where you're getting this information, because it's completely untrue.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-requires-an-internet-connection-to-work[/QUOTE]Um, that article was published in February of 2013, before Microsoft and many others were forced to change their stance on always online connections (after being owned by Sony @ E3).

ptdebate1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby ptdebate1 » September 6th, 2014, 10:43 pm

@Weekend_Warror

We're not talking about Microsoft or Sony. We're talking about Bungie--specifically, their game called Destiny, which is an MMO that is always online. There is no offline mode, nor will there ever be.

Weekend_Warrior1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » September 7th, 2014, 6:05 am

Hmm. Well, I looked it up. Turns out that you are correct - no offline, single-player mode.

I have a feeling that a lot of people will be returning their copies back to Gamestop the day after release, not knowing that there was no offline, dedicated single player campaign like the Halo series.   

Astrosmasher1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 7th, 2014, 9:41 am

It is an MMO it has been marketed as a MMO.  I have pre ordered it.

Though I have to say I have already put 14 hours into it.  I played the Beta release and that is why I decided to buy it.  I have also played it on 360.  It is a good game.  It sort of made me think of Mass Effect 3 does as a MMO.

JasonhasRSI1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » September 7th, 2014, 10:22 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]Actually no it DOES NOT require an always-on connection for story mode, you can easily play through that by yourself WITHOUT a connection, you only NEED to be online for the multiplayer aspects like raids, strikes and PVP, which is stuff I personally don't care about anyways, so there's no way in hell i'm cancelling my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

You've conflated the terms "single player" and "offline." An internet connection is required.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/destiny-the-game-faq,news-19221.html

TimPossible1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby TimPossible1 » September 7th, 2014, 12:29 pm

I put this post that this game had to have an always online connection because I knew what I was talking about. I wasn't going to post false info.

Vexer1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Vexer1 » September 7th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Well that's slightly disappointing to here, but I still don't see that alone as reason enough for me to cancel my pre-order.

Return to “Video Games General”