Experimenting with ads

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Experimenting with ads

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm

You may notice a new ad on the front of the site.  I'm experimenting with putting on "above the fold" to see if it makes a difference.

I'd like your feedback on this.  Let me know if you think it looks like crap.

LuckyMan1

Experimenting with ads

Postby LuckyMan1 » October 2nd, 2014, 12:19 pm

Sorry Dave, I vote "looks like crap."

LuckyMan1

Experimenting with ads

Postby LuckyMan1 » October 2nd, 2014, 2:45 pm

I was just taking another look at the front page and if you really want the ad at the top of the page, it might look better if you moved it to the right column where you have the VGC News. MSN has been doing that for years and I think it looks better than having the ad at the top center of the page.

Rev1

Experimenting with ads

Postby Rev1 » October 2nd, 2014, 4:15 pm

Honestly this doesn't even bother me, the only thing that might get annoying is if you accidentally click to the side from your drop down lists and hit the ad instead.

Orion1

Experimenting with ads

Postby Orion1 » October 2nd, 2014, 5:18 pm

I second what Rev says.  It's right behind the drop down menus which means that people will unintentionally click on the ad.  Hopefully this wasn't your intention.  In terms of looks, it's not really that bad.  I am accustomed to seeing banner ads on websites.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Experimenting with ads

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2014, 5:29 pm

Thanks for the honest feedback guys.  Keep it coming.

I might just leave it up for a week to see if it makes a significant difference.  Otherwise I will ditch it or move it.

And no, didn't intend for people to accidentally click on it.

Orion1

Experimenting with ads

Postby Orion1 » October 3rd, 2014, 5:26 pm

I like that it fits in with the look of the site.  I think if it makes you money, you should leave it up.  I can understand because I put ads on my youtube videos.  It's nice to make money at the same time you are enjoying your hobby.

Marriott_Guy1

Experimenting with ads

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » October 5th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Might be an idea to utilize the left/right sections that are vacant (for screen rez > 1280) in lieu of the top.  This area is not utilized for most users and simply contains the star background image as a filler.

scotland171

Experimenting with ads

Postby scotland171 » October 11th, 2014, 9:43 am

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]Might be an idea to utilize the left/right sections that are vacant (for screen rez > 1280) in lieu of the top.  This area is not utilized for most users and simply contains the star background image as a filler.[/QUOTE]

On reading this a week ago, I thought MG had a good idea as it would put the ad alongside the forum frame and use up the star background. I am normally a mobile user, and when seeing the full site for the first time today with the side ad, it seems like amount of star background has been grown instead of replaced, and the side ad has instead taken up space from the forum frame itself. 

Maybe its just an illusion, but whether true or not, the immediate and lasting perception is 'wow, lots of ads now', and that's not a good thing.

Return to “Video Games General”