Halo Collection requires 20 GB day one update?!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 22nd, 2014, 2:28 pm

According to this Ars Technica link, Halo Collection for the Xbox One will require gamers to download a 20 GB "day one update".

This is wrong on so many levels.  If the extra stuff wasn't ready, they should not have rushed this out for the holidays in such a half-baked manner.  It the content was ready and couldn't fit on one disc, a second disc should have been included.

I think it's part of Microsoft's "big picture" strategy to blur the line between physical and downloadable games.  It's their way to subvert the used game market and implement planned obsolescence.  They're heavy-handed approach didn't work at E3, so their are trying to be more discrete.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » October 22nd, 2014, 2:37 pm

As I wrote on another thread.

The Singleplayer part sans the Halo 4 Spartan Op's DLC is apparently on the disc.

The 20gb download is apparently the Multiplayer part of the game.

I guess MS are expecting that anyone who plays MP on Xbox One will have a good internet connection anyway (and obviously, anyone who plays MP will actually have their Xbox One hooked up to the internet, for obvious reasons).

Therefore, in this instance, aside from the size of the patch, I don't think it's really that bad. One won't be able to play the MP component once Xbox One's live support closes anyway (or any consoles online services).

A bigger concern, and better example of the issue you are trying to raise, should be The Evil Within apparently has a massive day one patch that dramatically improves the performance; that will cause issues once the consoles online services (or Steam) go down.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-prepatch-evil-within-we-hope-you-will-never-play

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 22nd, 2014, 2:40 pm

This is going to cause an outrage when it releases. Gamers everywhere should demand better.

Just to let you know, Critic, The Evil Within for PS4 has a similar issue. Without the large day-1 update, the game is virtually unplayable. I've posted this elsewhere but I wanted to make sure you could see it. This should help you decide which version of the game to review.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-prepatch-evil-within-we-hope-you-will-never-play

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 22nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

Ha, jinx Verm!

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » October 22nd, 2014, 7:35 pm

Can the single player campaigns be played without an update (or an internet connection?)

That could be a deal-breaker...

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » October 22nd, 2014, 7:38 pm

I'm getting really fed up with games that require a massive "update" before you can even play them. As a collector I think modern gaming is BS. I guess the games coming out today will be extinct within 10 years since most of the servers to update game data will be offline. I imagine this will be a serious issue for future collectors. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 22nd, 2014, 9:07 pm

The excuse I saw from the publisher is nonsense. Something about how it would've destroyed the experience if players had to constantly be swapping discs.

Anyone remotely familiar with this console knows that games have to be installed to the hard drive anyways. Nothing is ever streamed off the disc during gameplay. So a two disc game is hardly going to require regular swapping of discs.

[QUOTE=Verm]One won't be able to play the MP component once Xbox One's live support closes anyway[/QUOTE]

They stripped out local splitscreen multiplayer? 

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 22nd, 2014, 9:21 pm

I'm still getting this game, regardless.

Last time I tried to make a topic about this game there was going to be a lot of cynicism, 'good to know' it was ending up that way anyways.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 22nd, 2014, 10:56 pm

I'm not really bothered by this as I could not care less about multiplayer in Halo anyways(pretty sure you can play the campaign without having to download the update)

I don't think modern gaming is "BS" at all and games coming out today will most certainly not be "extinct".

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 23rd, 2014, 1:27 am

It's not the patch that's a terrible thing, it is the fact the community I once openly loved devolved (moreso) into ungrateful manbabies ever since this collection was announced.

"Take Halo 4 out now! Not a Halo game!"

"Halo 2 Anniversary reminds me of Halo 4, pre-order ruined!"

"Casuals ruined the game, therefore ruined this collection- PASS"

Return to “Modern Gaming”