Halo Collection requires 20 GB day one update?!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » October 23rd, 2014, 3:01 am

[QUOTE=kew982000]Am I the only one who feels this way?[/QUOTE]No, you are not. As a collector, the current state of the game industry is depressing. Especially when great games only get digital releases. Like when Capcom decides to release Breath of Fire 6 exclusively for iOS. That was one heart-wrenching moment when I found that out.  

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 23rd, 2014, 8:43 am

I've been trying to figure out why on earth they need to do something like this.

There's a couple of reasons and they're all idiotic.

1) Multiplayer is not complete, frame rate issues, etc. prior to going gold for shipments.

2) The  Xbox One in its early stages has yet to have to support multiple disks for the same game.  The Xbox One development team has been focused on improving the other higher priority items than supporting multiple disks for the same game.  There can't be all that many games that will require more than 45 GB of data can there?

It sucks, but I'd rather take the game in November than wait until next year to be able to get the game.

The one positive is that while you wait the for the 20GB for multiplayer to download you can play through the campaigns.  That's the one shining positive in this turd of a solution.  

Oh, I thought I'd be clever and pre-download the game on the Xbox One - the pre-download is 45 GB.  That means I'll still have to wait and download the 20 GB after 11/11 and not before.

As a result, I don't think multiplayer is fully cooked yet.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 23rd, 2014, 2:08 pm

I don't think the state of the industry is "depressing" at all, I think things are better then ever, there's so many great games coming out I can barely keep up with them.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » October 23rd, 2014, 2:46 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]I don't think the state of the industry is "depressing" at all, I think things are better then ever, there's so many great games coming out I can barely keep up with them.[/QUOTE]I seem to recall you saying before that you aren't a collector, so we're looking at this from two very different points of view. I collect games. I buy them and keep them for many years, hopefully forever. And I play them as long as I want and as many times as I want. Things like updates, patches, DLC, and download-only games are going to make it very hard for me to enjoy these games in the future. There are plenty of modern games that I love and a bunch of games coming out that I'm excited to play. But that's kind of irrelevant to my view of the industry as a whole. It's more of the business side of the industry that I hate. The side of the industry that refuses to take any risks and assumes that I want online modes in my games. 

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » October 23rd, 2014, 3:54 pm

I think this sort of thing is something we'll all have to come to terms with. I haven't gotten a ps4 or xbone yet & the longer I wait the less likely I'll probably get one. Sorry if this offends anyone, but this sort of tactics should not be surprising to any of us. Still I know I'm gonna cry when Fallout 4 comes out with this same sort of business model.

We want to support this generation of gaming, but we can't accept the policies that will only continue. That sounds like nothing but frustration.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 23rd, 2014, 4:23 pm

nesfan,

I definitely see where you're coming from, but the future needn't be quite as bleak as you say. There are a few digital-only games that will, unfortunately, never see a physical release--games like The Unfinished Swan or Shovel Knight, for example. But as for the Master Chief Collection--from a collector's point of view, you're golden. You can buy the disc and put it alongside the rest of your (hypothetical) complete Xbox One library. But what about the online servers and your 20GB of multiplayer content?

Well, that's an interesting grey area indeed. When the online servers for current consoles finally pull the plug, I look at that as a free license to pirate all I want. There's no one observing my console, anyway, right? And it's not like I can get banned from an online service that no longer exists.

As a collector, you can have your disk games. As a gamer, however, you can simply download your 100% patched collection of Xbox One games from Generic Torrent Website and load them onto a 10TB external HDD or whatever while your disks sit pristine and untouched on a shelf. Look at it like the future's version of an Everdrive.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 23rd, 2014, 5:34 pm

This collection is also golden because it FULLY supports local multiplayer... LAN. Remember the LAN days? It will no doubt be smoother.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 24th, 2014, 2:22 am

nesfan- Yeah i'm not a collector for a variety of reasons, first off I do not have the money to buy and collect for a dozen different game consoles like the majority of people on this forum do.  Secondly I do not have the space to store that many consoles(that's also the reason why I don't hold on to games after i've completed them, I always trade my older 360 games in to Gamestop towards new releases in order to save money and clear space off my shelves), and thirdly i'm already busy enough trying to get through all the 360, PC and handheld titles that interest me, so I don't really have time for any more game systems.

I can see how some of these policies are frustrating, but to me that's nowhere near a good enough reason not to support this generation, I can accept some of the policies as long as they're somewhat reasonable.

I'm pretty sure the majority of gamers either detest the business side of the industry or could not care less(like myself), for example Ubisoft may do a lot of stupid things(I.e. that whole thing with AC: Unity), but they still produce some damn good games, so i'm happy to ignore there ignorant statements as long as they deliver quality titles.

Unfortunately the majority of gamers nowadays DO want online modes in games, i'm not one of them, but like it or not that is the direction we are headed in, the internet has become far too big for games not to take advantage of that opportunities it offers.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » October 25th, 2014, 10:53 am

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]I'm still getting this game, regardless.

Last time I tried to make a topic about this game there was going to be a lot of cynicism, 'good to know' it was ending up that way anyways.[/QUOTE]

We have a reason to be cynical. Forcing us to download a massive 20 GB update, space that could be used for other things, just to play multiplayer, is absolute bullcrap.

[QUOTE=Vexer]

I'm not really bothered by this as I could not care less about multiplayer in Halo anyways(pretty sure you can play the campaign without having to download the update)

I don't think modern gaming is "BS" at all and games coming out today will most certainly not be "extinct".[/QUOTE]

Well that's good for you, but what about people who do want to play multiplayer without downloading a huge space wasting update? I almost only play multiplayer in First Person Shooters. I almost never play the campaigns in these games, instead preferring to play with friends. It's screwing us over, the people who want to play multiplayer, especially those who only play multiplayer, myself included.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 25th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Well it's just my personal opinion, I never claimed to speak for everyone on here.

Return to “Modern Gaming”