New Mario Kart DLC examplifies Nintendo's respect for game buyers.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 15th, 2014, 11:07 am

Act Raiser, no offense, but I believe you are in denial.

The difference in quality and polish between Nintendo and the leading 3rd party publishers this year cannot be more stark. Why are you trying to white wash this serious problem and erosion of quality? Ubisoft certainly is not dropping prices with the drop off in quality, are they? You are citing broken circle bads on a half dozen 3DS's and going back to 2006 to find notable Nintendo bugs. That alone is testament of Nintendo s quality.

And do not play the 'more complex games' card - it does not hold water. Ass Creed Unity has tons of bugs in cut scenes, for goodness sakes! They remake the same game every year, literally, and tweak it here and there. Ass Creed Unity is not terrible ambitious, as soon as we saw it revealed, we all new exactly what the premise and game play would be like.

Clearly it was pushed out the door, a giant middle finger to game buyers. Hence this topic.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 15th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Honestly, Nintendo's DLC tracks are no different than Call of Duty map packs. Recent Call of Duty games only have more content than their DLC-less predecessors (original CoD 1 and 2 releases). Heck, not two but three distinct game modes--campaign, multiplayer, and zombies--have become the norm for this series. Where, other than EA's sports games, have you identified an erosion of retail content?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 15th, 2014, 6:41 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]Honestly, Nintendo's DLC tracks are no different than Call of Duty map packs. Recent Call of Duty games only have more content than their DLC-less predecessors (original CoD 1 and 2 releases). Heck, not two but three distinct game modes--campaign, multiplayer, and zombies--have become the norm for this series. Where, other than EA's sports games, have you identified an erosion of retail content?[/QUOTE]

COD is a good place to start for erosion of content - you claim the game is bigger? At what price?

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/25679-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-to-get-120-atlas-pro-edition-other-editions-that-include-dlc/

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Atlas Pro Edition includes everything available in the Atlas Limited Edition version (bonus multiplayer map "Atlas Gorge," the collectible SteelBook, the Welcome to Atlas: Advanced Soldier Manual, and the Atlas Digital Content Pack), as well as the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Season Pass featuring four action-packed DLC Map Packs, each delivering a collection of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare multiplayer content[icon1] and more. SRP $119.99

Games used to be $50 in the 'modern' era, jumped to $60, and now cost up to $120 (see Gleebs post on this) to get all the content. On top of your Xbox LIVE or PSN subscription, that is.

It is a reduction of value to buy a brand new broken game from EA and Ubisoft and wait weeks and months for them to improve it.  Or PSN - how is that pay online network doing?

This is like Mario Kart how? That COD  DLC is DAY ONE! MK waited 6 months and another 6 months after that. 16 course for $12. So - how is that the same? Not really the same, is it?

No, it is not the same. I do not buy and then defend!  broken games that crash a lot and stutter at 20 FPS on a new gen console. That is a difference.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 15th, 2014, 6:59 pm

If everyone could agree to stop saying "Ass. Creed" I would be much happier.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 15th, 2014, 7:50 pm

@Sega

Beep! Strawman. I wasn't talking about some super special "Atlas Pro" edition, just the standard retail box copy with no DLC. $59.99, just like every other game.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 15th, 2014, 9:06 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Atlas Pro Edition includes everything available in the Atlas Limited Edition version....... SRP $119.99

[/QUOTE]

Shows how much you know! I only paid $117.99! Woo hoo! USA! USA! USA! And whaddaya mean it's only a 2 buck difference! Oh yeah, I guess you're right. Well at least I can play Zombies, which has a very big fan base. No wait, that comes out on DLC in January! Arrrrgggghhh!

(Editor's note: gleeb uses too many exclamation points.)

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 16th, 2014, 6:14 am

[QUOTE=ptdebate]@Sega Beep! Strawman. I wasn't talking about some super special "Atlas Pro" edition, just the standard retail box copy with no DLC. $59.99, just like every other game.[/QUOTE]

It is not a strawman - it is a $60 with 4 DLC map packs $15 each, OR a season pass for $50!

So that's a $110 game if you want all the content right away!

And the big bad wolf blew the srawman away?

Read up on it  - its complicated : http://www.ign.com/wikis/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare/Collector%27s_Editions

IGN makes wikipedia for all of the DLC these days.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 16th, 2014, 1:32 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=ptdebate]@Sega Beep! Strawman. I wasn't talking about some super special "Atlas Pro" edition, just the standard retail box copy with no DLC. $59.99, just like every other game.[/QUOTE]

It is not a strawman - it is a $60 with 4 DLC map packs $15 each, OR a season pass for $50!

Read up on it  - its complicated : http://www.ign.com/wikis/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare/Collector%27s_Editions

IGN makes wikipedia for all of the DLC these days.[/QUOTE]

Right, it absolutely is a strawman because I was talking about whether or not the existence of DLC erodes the content of $60 retail games. You're talking about the cost of a game after all of it's add-on content, whereas I was saying that VANILLA Call of Duty Ghosts, Black Ops, or AW have just as much, if not more, content than their DLC-less predecessors. Therefore, the existence of DLC as an option has not compromised the experience of the base game. Thus, in this particular series, DLC truly fits the definition of add-on content (just like MK8, which has the same amount of content in the base game as previous entries in the series).

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 16th, 2014, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=ptdebate]@Sega Beep! Strawman. I wasn't talking about some super special "Atlas Pro" edition, just the standard retail box copy with no DLC. $59.99, just like every other game.[/QUOTE]

IGN makes wikipedia for all of the DLC these days.[/QUOTE] Right, it absolutely is a strawman because I was talking about whether or not the existence of DLC erodes the content of $60 retail games. You're talking about the cost of a game after all of it's add-on content, whereas I was saying that VANILLA Call of Duty Ghosts, Black Ops, or AW have just as much, if not more, content than their DLC-less predecessors. Therefore, the existence of DLC as an option has not compromised the experience of the base game. Thus, in this particular series, DLC truly fits the definition of add-on content (just like MK8, which has the same amount of content in the base game as previous entries in the series).[/QUOTE]

I understand the point you are making but I just cannot agree.

If COD wasn't pumped out for the same time every year, and if the DLC packs were not day one and were much less expensive, then we would have comparable games. Also the online subscription, on both MS and Sony consoles. Sorry, it is hard for me to understand why you are paying a subscription fee for Player to Player online.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/05/call-of-duty-lag_n_6110230.html

Kotaku also reports that the problem could be alleviated if "Call of Duty" was to use dedicated servers rather than relying on "peer to peer" connections -- a setup that involves one user hosting the game and other players piggybacking directly on that connection.

Let us face the facts, I know I stand in the face of a mountain of persistent marketing, but console online subscriptions really are not all that great. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 17th, 2014, 1:33 am

@Sega

Call of Duty map packs have never been day one. It simply doesn't fit with Activision's content distribution model, where staggered releases garner the maximum possible number of adopters. Dunno where you got that idea from. The Atlas digital bonuses are part of a premium package and--again--have nothing to do with the base game. They're equivalent to feelies, soundtracks, or limited edition packaging.

Way to misdirect with the comments on online servers! Notice that online subscription fees have nothing to do with CoD or Activision, and everything to do with Sony's (since 2013) and Microsoft's policies. I can just as easily play CoD online on my PS3, Wii U, or PC for free.

Return to “Modern Gaming”