2014/11/23: Wii U: Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Orion1

Postby Orion1 » November 26th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Bayonetta 2 now has 15 user votes.  Are there really 15 site visitors who have played this game?  It hasn't even been out that long.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 26th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Splash- No that kind of stuff is not rare at all, you're simply not looking hard enough and you need to do more research before making baseless claims.

FPS games are extremely fun for a lot of people, but because they were so many different subgenres within FPS they were able to have more longevity as a genre then platformers(the multiplayer aspect also helped a great deal).  Sometimes certain sub genres will lose popularity, for example WW2 FPS games used to be pretty big, but they lost a lot of popularity after the godawful "Hour of Victory" came out and Modern Warfare revolutionized the genre the same year.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » November 28th, 2014, 8:58 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]

Splash- No that kind of stuff is not rare at all, you're simply not looking hard enough and you need to do more research before making baseless claims.

FPS games are extremely fun for a lot of people, but because they were so many different subgenres within FPS they were able to have more longevity as a genre then platformers(the multiplayer aspect also helped a great deal).  Sometimes certain sub genres will lose popularity, for example WW2 FPS games used to be pretty big, but they lost a lot of popularity after the godawful "Hour of Victory" came out and Modern Warfare revolutionized the genre the same year.

[/QUOTE]

Not really, besides crappy Mario games, other Nintendo platformers and Rayman, they really don't exist outside of crap. For once I'd just like to see one really good modern-day platformer with a charming animal character with some real personality, but the day those kind of games existed is pretty much gone. And if it's not, name one in the last three years.

Honestly, from "Stealth" shooters like MGS, "Survival Horror" shooters like Resident Evil, and shooters with RPG elements like Fallout, more or less no matter what the sub-genre, they're pretty much ALL the same. And that still doesn't excuse there being an over saturation of it for what feels like a decade or so. It almost feels like over half the games made now adays are shooters of some type.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 28th, 2014, 6:05 pm

[QUOTE=Orion]Bayonetta 2 now has 15 user votes.  Are there really 15 site visitors who have played this game?  It hasn't even been out that long.[/QUOTE]

I think it's safe to say that the VGC gets a lot of visitor's to his site that have never checked out his forum. I would guess he actually gets a lot more traffic then his forum would suggest.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 28th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Splash- Have you ever heard of "The Last Tinker"?  That sounds like a game you would enjoy.

No, modern games most certainly do not feel the same, especially those from different subgenres.

Anything that is popular will inevitably be oversaturated at some point, that's just the way of the world, so i'd that "excuses" it just fine.

There's plenty of other games out there besides shooters.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2014, 6:25 pm

[QUOTE=Orion]Thank you for reviewing Bayonetta.  You did a good job wording it; as I read it I felt like I was playing the game.  [/QUOTE]

This here is high praise.  When I read a review I want to know what it's like to actually play the game.

I was reading about the new Skylanders game in the latest Game Informer, and about 3/4 of the "review" was discussing the background story.  Very little substance.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 22nd, 2015, 1:34 pm

[QUOTE=Splash]
Not really, besides crappy Mario games, other Nintendo platformers and Rayman, they really don't exist outside of crap. For once I'd just like to see one really good modern-day platformer with a charming animal character with some real personality, but the day those kind of games existed is pretty much gone. And if it's not, name one in the last three years.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you only play on consoles or if you do any computer gaming. If you do play on computers, I can recommend Freedom Planet. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any console ports in the future:

http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

AllieRX

Re: 2014/11/23: Wii U: Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Postby AllieRX » August 10th, 2022, 5:59 pm

I know this forum post is mad old, but I'm sorry, a C+ for one of the worst games of all time, Sonic Boom for Wii U, is baffling!

I played it and it was dreadfully boring. I even did a review of it on my YouTube channel in 2017. You can see how boring it is. It doesn't deserve C+. It doesn't even deserve a D. It's a rock solid F.

What's even sadder is that it has a higher score than objectively better games reviewed on this site. Like I'm no fan of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, but why does that have a much lower grade that flipping Sonic Boom???

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 10th, 2022, 10:19 pm

Maybe this one's due for a revisit? One thing I never understood about this review was how easy it went on the game's notorious bugs and glitches, which the Critic is usually a hard-ass about. Better games have gotten worse scores for that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2022, 11:23 pm

You're wish is my command! Stay tuned...

Return to “Review Feedback”