Minecraft (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
velcrozombie1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 1st, 2015, 11:33 am

If there was ever a game where the grade "Not Applicable" was appropriate, it's this one.

While I have no interest in playing Minecraft myself, it's a unique and fascinating part of gaming culture (and pop culture in general) and giving it a low grade for being what it is wouldn't be doing it justice. I'd only give it a low grade if you feel like it's doing a poor job of being what it's trying to be.

Vexer1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby Vexer1 » January 1st, 2015, 11:35 am

I think "Not Applicable" fits just fine.

Sut1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby Sut1 » January 1st, 2015, 12:15 pm

You could be right in leaving off a grade as it's more of a virtual Lego tool than a conventional video game. It's not my cup of tea either but it's massively popular for a reason I suppose.

scotland171

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby scotland171 » January 1st, 2015, 1:16 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic] I can build furniture and a simple shelter...I'm really not into it, but like a reader mentioned, the game does belong on the site, if only for completeness sake.  It's a strange game.  It really doesn't have an end.  What you can do is only limited by your imagination, time, and patience. I think I might try to stick it out for a few more hours and try to bang out a review.  I might be tempted to use Not Applicable for the grade. [/QUOTE]

Good for you for sticking it out.  It might be like going to a ballet recital, where you know there is something neat going on, but you really wish you were somewhere else.  Maybe an NA is fine for a score.

I think an ending is beating the Ender Dragon. 

File under: Things that make you go Hmmmmm:  Lego Minecraft sets.  Yes, now Legos is making Minecraft sets.  One is called "The First Night" and is basically Dave's simple shelter he speaks of, and comes with Steve, a pig, and a Creeper. The boss mob The Ender Dragon with some Endermen is another set.

Captain_Crunch1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 2nd, 2015, 10:50 am

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]What creativity program (games, apps, whatever) isn't a waste of time?[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't really care about Minecraft either, but millions of people like it, so I guess there's a good game in it somewhere. I just don't have the patience to get into it.

Captain_Crunch1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 2nd, 2015, 10:59 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]It's a strange game.  It really doesn't have an end.  What you can do is only limited by your imagination, time, and patience.

Advice?[/QUOTE]

First try a similar game, that's (much) smaller and therefore more comprehensible for shorter periods of play. I'm thinking SimCity (SNES), SimCity 2000 (SNES/Saturn/PlayStation) and SimAnt (SNES). But that's just because I enjoyed those games...

ptdebate1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby ptdebate1 » January 3rd, 2015, 8:55 am

I agree with the appropriateness of a N/A grade.

Minecraft is less a game than a space within which gaming is possible. Or building architecturally accurate replicas of real-world structures. Or simply goofing off with friends.

FinalLapTwinkie1

Minecraft (PS4)

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » January 3rd, 2015, 3:57 pm

I say give it a grade. It does have zombie like creatures at night. That should count right?

Voor

Re: Minecraft (PS4)

Postby Voor » May 14th, 2020, 9:24 am

One of my kids just downloaded this, so I’m curious how it will end up. Main reason is the cross platform play, which lets them play with friends who own other consoles. I’m really impressed with that aspect of it.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Minecraft (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 17th, 2020, 2:50 pm

There are two ways to play Minecraft: creatively, where you just want to build something really cool, and as a survival simulator. I prefer the second one. You're dropped into a world that doesn't give a crap if you love or die, and it's up to you to build and harvest what you need to survive. There's also the optional quest of hunting down the ender dragon, but I've never bothered with that. Of course, a game without an ending or even a clear end goal will get old eventually, but it's always fun for a while.

Return to “Now Playing”