Is Need For Speed Rivals Complete Edition (PS4) any better than the original?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK1

Postby JWK1 » January 8th, 2015, 11:24 am

I'm wondering about the so-called "Complete Edition" of this game.  I checked the Critic's review and he mentioned long load times and bugs.  I also understand that the choice of cars in the vanilla version was pretty underwhelming.  Are some of these problems fixed in the Complete version?  Any other changes?  I have a small handful of games for my new PS4, but I'm starting to get the arcade racer itch.  How do others like this game?

Oh, also an off topic note.  I think the Critic's score for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is way, WAY off.  I'm hopelessly addicted to it, to the point that all the RPGs I was playing have been put on hold until I complete it.  I've played most of the good AC games (II, Brotherhood, etc.) and Black Flag is by FAR my favorite.  It has all the combat and map improvements of games like III (which I didn't care for), an interesting story, incredibly fun combat and better combat than the other games.  Thoughts?

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 8th, 2015, 12:54 pm

I'm starting to think Assasins Creed gets an unfair rap due to tech issues, a friend of mine has just got Unity and like yourself with Black Flag he can't stop playing it.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 8th, 2015, 1:14 pm

I think Black Flag is one of the strongest, if not the strongest Assassin's Creed in the entire series. Then again, I haven't
played Rogue on PS3 as yet, so I can't compare. Unity on PS4 is actually a very good looking game in every respect, so
long as you have all the patches. But I think I prefer Black Flag still, story and gameplay wise. And it looks amazing.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » January 8th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Yeah, I'd like to play Unity, but I'm really hoping they put out some kind of GOTY or Complete edition so I can have the patches on the disc.  I hear a couple of the patches are enormous and take a ton of your HDD, especially on the XBox One.

The real problem isn't the AC series.  It's simply where we are in gaming.  Game developers-- whether due to deadlines or an attitude of "meh, we'll patch it later"-- are releasing broken games and we're rewarding them by pre-ordering and/or paying full price, plus Season Passes to all the DLC.  When it's all over, you may have paid $100 for a game and a promise of future content and may have nothing more than a very buggy shadow of what you thought you were getting.  I bet Unity is a fine game, as I personally like the series a lot.  But it's the principle of the thing.  I NEVER pre-order games and I need reassurances from review sites and the game community (*cough* The VGC Forum *cough*) before I jump on a game.  If it's buggy but I'm still interested, I wait until everything's been ironed out.  The good news is, that is usually around the time the game gets a price drop.  I know this topic has been run into the ground, but now that I actually have a next gen system, I'm experiencing it first hand and it does, indeed, suck.  Even when they release Uncharted 4, I'll wait to hear what reviewers and the community says before I buy it.  Naughty Dog has been pretty good up until now, but you never know.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 8th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Agreed on Black Flag--it's a really, really good game. The Critic's review is pretty baffling--just based on his review of Tomb Raider and the Uncharted games, I thought he'd love this one. Just the part of the ACIV involving upgrading your ship and engaging in naval battles could be an amazing game in its own right.

Return to “Modern Gaming”