Playstation NOW streaming games instead of buying or downloading them

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » January 11th, 2015, 11:03 am

For awhile, we've debated physical versus digital downloads.  Now comes a Netflixesque service from Sony.  Why even bother with a digital download, when you can stream your games? 

To me, the technology shifts in media are two edged swords.   I still like paper books over digital images, but having a tiny library on my phone, wherever I go, is quite terrific.   I like physical DVDs, but streaming a tv series to bingewatch is mighty fun.    I like my physical games, but I use GOG and Steam too.  

What do you think?  Will video game streaming peacefully co-exist with the other two forms (Physical and digital), or will this new form win the day?   If so, will the next generation of consoles need a hard drive at all? (and is this a method to curtail digital piracy as well as monetize old libraries)

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 11th, 2015, 12:24 pm

I think this will be the last generation of 'traditional' consoles.
Gaming seems to be following the movie and music industries and yep I do think streaming will be the future with gaming 'box sets' available for purchase.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » January 11th, 2015, 2:00 pm

As long as you have a very fast internet connection, you will be ok. But if you don't, like many of us (myself included)... games are going to lag like crazy.

I heard that was one of the big problems with OnLive - a fast internet connection is recommended/almost required for a satisfactory gameplay experience.

Pimphand_Gamester1

Postby Pimphand_Gamester1 » January 19th, 2015, 7:29 pm

I remember trying Onlive but it was blurry and the lag was worse than terrible. Like a 2 second delay from controller to game movement making it unplayable. I'm curious if Sony is able to provide the same gameplay experience that you get on consoles as far as lag, resolution, frame rates..etc and how fast of a connection is fast enough?

Return to “Modern Gaming”