Angry Video Game Nerd Movie

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 27th, 2015, 6:30 pm

As a big fan of the AVGN, I bought this on Blu Ray (via Amazon) and watched it the other night.  At first I was really into it.  The story centered around the mythology surrounding the old ET game by Atari.  There are plenty of game references and some outrageous scenes like the nerd is known for.  The acting and dialogue was awful, but I figured that was just part of its low budget charm.

[spoiler alert]

As the movie progressed however, it started getting really slow and confusing.  The story felt bloated and there was too much time spent talking about Area 51.  I think my favorite part was during the closing credits when he actually reviews the original ET.

What's odd is that the AVGN apparently couldn't get the rights to any of the games featured in the movie.  So ET was titled Eee Tee and the game screens were reproduced so the games looked just different enough to avoid a lawsuit.  That was unfortunate.

Overall I guess it was mildly enjoyable but I'm not sure I could get through it without the help of a few beers.  Maybe next time I watch it I'll write up a full review.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » January 27th, 2015, 7:26 pm

I was looking forward to seeing this too bad it's crap. The nerds act is getting really old now that he is a middle aged man (so am I). I still enjoy watching his let's plays but his nerd character is stale. 

If you want to see a great video game movie I recommend King of Kong: A fistfull of quarters.

Voor1

Postby Voor1 » January 27th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Love the AVGN stuff, and even like most Mike and James "play" videos, but I think the movie would just be too much. I don't plan to watch it.

Funny thing, James seems to like making movies above everything else (including video games), and the AVGN videos kind of served as a method to get the crediability needed to fund a full-length feature.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » January 28th, 2015, 2:49 am

Yeah, the movie was a dud. It got so hard to follow. How that that object appear? Where did that guy come from? Why is AVGN suddenly there? And many times it went wayyyy over the top. It's a shame too because I'm a big fan of the guy.

Critic, you ought to do a movie. Maybe something where you review Polybius while on Jupiter?

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 28th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Have you watched Atari Game over?  It is free on xbox live at the present time.  That is probably why the guy could not get a look in coz it was sold to MS the movie that is.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » January 29th, 2015, 1:00 am

I thought it was a really good film, don't think it was a dud at all, I had no trouble following it whatsoever. I don't need alcohol to get through any film, never been drunk a day in my life and never will be.

I don't get the complaints about it being over-the-top, I mean cmon it's AVGN, he always goes over-the-top, so that should really come as no surprise at all.

Wallyworld- No the nerd's act is not getting "old" or "stale" in the least, he's still every bit as funny now. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 29th, 2015, 6:17 pm

I'd be interested in a special review for the movie. I've been waiting a bit to buy it because I hate using amazon (no other reason really) but will probably order it when I get my tax return in. I like the AVGN a lot but his style has definitely changed over the years. That's pretty normal and to be expected. You can't really make like 120+ AVGN episodes and not go through different transitions. I tend to watch different sets of episodes (older vs. newer) depending on my mood. I always find him entertaining (or at least informative).

Return to “Video Games General”