Top 25 Multiplayer Games of All Time

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2015, 6:45 pm

I hear you guys like lists, so I posted a new one.  

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/themes/multiplayer.htm

Let me know what you think.  Hope I didn't miss any big ones.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 28th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Link doesn't work for me (iOS)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 28th, 2015, 7:38 pm

The Mario Kart games have always been favorires of mine, but MK Wii was always the one I didn't like. The way the game was balanced seemed very anti-competitive.

The Mario Party games on N64, while perhaps the opposite of competitive due to how chance-based they are, really are extremely fun with groups--especially if a few drinks are involved--so I'm surprised those didn't make the cut.

All this talk of Worms has gotten me itching for a multiplayer session! It's been at least 10 years since I played it.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » January 28th, 2015, 7:49 pm

what a great topic!

year ago, i borrowed (*cough*) your idea for a video game party.  i am throwing Hexadecathlon 5 this weekend, and over the years i've used several games on your list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMNzs7kcSM

Some good ones not on the list

Saturn Bomberman - (Saturn) take everything great about Super Bomberman, and multiply it by 2.  with saturn bomberman you can play with 10 players!  However the game is on the pricey side, and saturn controllers and multitaps aren't very easy to come by.  (the japanese version is much cheaper, not much language barrier with it either)

You Don't Know Jack - (XBox 360) this also came out for the wii and PS3, though i picked the 360 version since it works with scene-it controllers.  this is the best trivia game ive played.  the questions are funny, and the games are just the right length.

Pengo - (Xbox 360) this is an import from japan, but it takes the ok 80's arcade game Pengo and makes it way more fun.  instead of focusing on squashing enemies, in this version you play on a wide screen and squash your opponents.  there is no region lock for this game, so if you see it for a good price, pick it up!

Chu Chu Rocket - (Dreamcast) im surprised this didnt make your list.  this game is super frantic with 4 players.

Dr. Mario 64 - (Nintendo 64) Your wife may be peeved this didn't make your list

Tank! Tank! Tank! - (WiiU) This Namco launch game got almost zero press, but it's right up the critics alley.  The action is fast and the premise is stupid.  It's a third person tank game where you either fight each other, or as a team against giant bugs. It gets a bit boring in single player mode, but in multiplayer the game shines.  There is a kong mode that allows three tanks to play against a giant kong ape controlled by another player.  You can get a stripped down version for free from the Nintendo E Shop, but look around for a physical copy.  you wont regret it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2015, 7:59 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]Link doesn't work for me (iOS)[/QUOTE]

Fixed now

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 28th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Hmmmm I can honestly say you have not included any of my fave offline multiplayer games.  What no Saturn Bomberman??  What no puzzle bobble?  What no Bubble bobble? What no project gotham 4? What no Final Freeway on the Gamestick? 

Online Titan fall rules supreme.  It is a 100 times better than call of duty advanced warfare. Though Kevin Spacey is hilarious throughout. 

Good list though I do not agree with it.  I can see where you are coming from.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » January 28th, 2015, 9:17 pm

This is a good list.  I like how you included mature titles like Twisted Metal and Call of Duty instead of sticking to kid friendly Nintendo games.

If I could add some of my own, well... I know you don't like them, but for me Super Smash Bros. would definitely be on that list.  My friends and I have actually gotten together just for Smash Bros. parties before.  Also, Mario Party, maybe?  I'm not a huge fan, but it's pretty well known for being a great multiplayer game.  I haven't used it personally (yet), but Minecraft is supposed to be a lot more fun if you get some other friends online- you don't like online multiplayer though, so I guess that's out.  War of the Monsters is another game my friends and I would stay up all night playing.  Guitar Hero, maybe.  Wii Sports is good for playing with non-gamers.  I could probably think of a bunch more, but since the list is yours, ergo your opinion, it works [smile]

eneuman961

Postby eneuman961 » January 28th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Wouldn't Medieval Mayhem automatically beat out Warlords by virtue of being an updated version of that game?

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » January 28th, 2015, 11:49 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]What no Bubble bobble?[/QUOTE]

I assume that's because it's not a four-player game.

[QUOTE=eneuman96]Wouldn't Medieval Mayhem automatically beat out Warlords by virtue of being an updated version of that game?[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought. Much as I like Warlords, it's definitely the better version. Maybe, out of fairness to the old-timer, the entry could be a double-feature including both games?

Still nice to see Warlords at #1, though, and everything I've played in the Top 10 definitely deserves to be there.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 29th, 2015, 8:12 am

I'd like to nominate

- Sensible Soccer
- FIFA
- Sega Worldwide Soccer

And, besides the soccer games:

- Portal 2 (OK, only 2-player)
- Streets of Rage 2 (OK, only 2-player)
- Gears of War (online)
- Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament