Alien Isolation

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Astrosmasher1

Alien Isolation

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 30th, 2015, 8:39 am

My friend comes round once a week and we play games.  When it got dark we put this in and it is fantastic.  Very scary. 
It is hard but enjoyable.  The games graphics are fantastic and you get none of the dancing aliens you got in the ACM. 

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » January 30th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I personally didn't find it scary and I thought there was way too much backtracking towards the end. When I played CM I didn't encounter any issues with the A.I., it was a bit basic but they behaved like they were supposed to more or less.

ptdebate1

Alien Isolation

Postby ptdebate1 » January 30th, 2015, 3:32 pm

I was pleased to find that Alien: Isolation really captured the essence of the original film in its build up of anticipation before actually encountering the xenomorph. The art direction is splendid as well, with 70s-era technology and computer sound effects that fit perfectly with the original's sets. Isolation is one of the few games of recent years to successfully capitalize on the "survival" part of survival horror. The new RE games are almost universally disappointing because when you give the protagonist a big, powerful gun and a sidekick, you totally eliminate the dramatic tension.

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » January 30th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Disagree on RE, I think the later games still have plenty of tension, even with big guns you're still fighting big intimidating mutants, so for me it still works.

I found Isolation to be more frustrating then fun, it had it's moments, but overall I felt like it did not live up to any of it's glowing reviews.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Alien Isolation

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 30th, 2015, 6:10 pm

I just started playing this the other night.  I love the concept but got stuck and after going in circles for a while started to feel queasy.  Definitely a lot of potential here.

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » January 30th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Yeah I found myself getting stuck quite a bit as well, and I personally found the alien to be annoying rather then scary.

Astrosmasher1

Alien Isolation

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 31st, 2015, 7:48 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]

Disagree on RE, I think the later games still have plenty of tension, even with big guns you're still fighting big intimidating mutants, so for me it still works.

I found Isolation to be more frustrating then fun, it had it's moments, but overall I felt like it did not live up to any of it's glowing reviews.

[/QUOTE]
I think 4 was the last attempt at a scary game RE has lost its way.  I think when GOW made a lot of money they wanted to do the same. So they chose the path of action adventure rather than survival horror.

Where as this sega game is scary. There is tension in the game.

ptdebate1

Alien Isolation

Postby ptdebate1 » January 31st, 2015, 8:44 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]Yeah I found myself getting stuck quite a bit as well, and I personally found the alien to be annoying rather then scary.[/QUOTE]

Why's that?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Alien Isolation

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2015, 11:41 am

I assume you're all playing this alone in the dark at night correct?  Otherwise you're wasting this game.  The atmosphere is everything. 

ptdebate1

Alien Isolation

Postby ptdebate1 » January 31st, 2015, 11:56 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I assume you're all playing this alone in the dark at night correct?  Otherwise you're wasting this game.  The atmosphere is everything. [/QUOTE]

Of course! Otherwise, what kind of horror gamer would I be? [biggrin]

Return to “Now Playing”