Future of Consoles

General and high profile video game topics.
Jon1

Future of Consoles

Postby Jon1 » February 9th, 2015, 4:04 pm

I've been thinking a lot of how upset I am at the fact that it's only the 3 titans (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) putting out consoles for 15 years. I'm just so jaded by everything. I want so badly for there to be something I want to play and something that's different, but we know the story. I was wondering, is there any knowledge of any upcoming consoles or what the industry will look like in a few years? Is there any talk of another company entering the mix?

Vexer1

Future of Consoles

Postby Vexer1 » February 9th, 2015, 7:20 pm

You really can't predict what sort of trends will emerge and how long they will stay popular in any form of media really.  

Steam has a console of sorts coming out this year called Steam Machines, but not too many people seem to care much about that.

ptdebate1

Future of Consoles

Postby ptdebate1 » February 9th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Jon,

For you I think I'd recommend PC gaming. It gets most of the major releases on other systems and with a powerful enough system you can emulate everything up to and including the Nintendo Wii.

Oltobaz1

Future of Consoles

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 10th, 2015, 3:56 am

You don't have to follow the trends if they don't suit you. Get yourself an arcade machine!

Rev1

Future of Consoles

Postby Rev1 » February 10th, 2015, 7:33 am

I think there is going to be a point soon where I stop buying more current consoles. I already enjoy my consoles up to the PS2/Xbox/NGC and before a lot more than most current consoles. I think once games go solely digital (which will happen) will probably be when I throw in the towel. I like several games but I don't always like some of the ways that the industry is going. Still, I have enough retro games to play for a lifetime. I could play each one, once a day, and be busy for years.

DaHeckIzDat1

Future of Consoles

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » February 10th, 2015, 9:14 am

I'm kinda glad there's only the big three. I don't need another begging for my money when the choice is already hard enough.

Ozzybear1

Future of Consoles

Postby Ozzybear1 » February 10th, 2015, 2:55 pm

I have to agree, im glad there is the only 3 at the moment,
I love the choices of things, Though i have no interest in the Xbox
one, In time im sure i will have one lol. I have really been enjoying
the Ps4, and am really thinking about getting a Wii U as some of the
games on that system I would really like to play and add to my
collection. As I said the Xbox one just doesnt interest me at the
moment, thats not to say its a bad system, as im sure later on
down the line im sure i'll have one, but after playing on a friend
of mines X1, im just really not interested, but its still great that
there is these 3 system with lots of different gaming choices to
choose from!

Ozzy

ZetaX1

Future of Consoles

Postby ZetaX1 » February 10th, 2015, 9:18 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]I think there is going to be a point soon where I stop buying more current consoles.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Not many games this new generation interest me. Online all the time is a turn-off. Downloads instead of physical media...ugh...

Thankfully, I've got 35 years of gaming goodness stockpiled for the cold, dark future.

Vexer1

Future of Consoles

Postby Vexer1 » February 12th, 2015, 12:37 am

Not me, I'll keep on getting current consoles, physical media will eventually succumb to bit rot and soon the only way you'll be able to play those older games is online anyways.

Atarifever1

Future of Consoles

Postby Atarifever1 » February 12th, 2015, 8:02 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]I think there is going to be a point soon where I stop buying more current consoles. I already enjoy my consoles up to the PS2/Xbox/NGC and before a lot more than most current consoles. I think once games go solely digital (which will happen) will probably be when I throw in the towel. I like several games but I don't always like some of the ways that the industry is going. Still, I have enough retro games to play for a lifetime. I could play each one, once a day, and be busy for years.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy consoles as long as there are physical games.  After that, I'll just buy PC games and play my old consoles.  I mean, once consoles are just download machines, why in the world would I want one?  So I can buy proprietary hard drives and controllers and have tangles of wires coming out of the TV?  I'll never stop gaming, but I will stop buying PCs with a smaller selection, smaller hardrives, higher prices, and walled gardens if I don't get anything for it.

Return to “Video Games General”