PS4 sports games feedback

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 11th, 2015, 4:18 pm

[QUOTE=Viper82]If I want to see a realistic hockey game I will buy a ticket and see it like I did last night! What a concept![/QUOTE]

Is that really comparable though? A ticket doesn't allow you to participate in a realistic hockey game.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » February 11th, 2015, 11:28 pm

The last sports game I enjoyed was College Hoops 2k8 for the PS3. The game was also released for the PS2 (and 360) so it wasn't exactly what I call recent. I couldn't fathom 20 years ago that there'd be only 1 football game, what an injustice. We've basically seen the sports genre turn into a literal nightmare.

NintendoPower1

Postby NintendoPower1 » February 12th, 2015, 8:56 am

[QUOTE=Verm]This leads into a bigger question about games in general though.

Are modern games generally more realistic than older ones? 
Do modern gamers want more realism in their games?
Are developers taking the easy way out with regards to creating believable worlds?
Has it always been the aim of games, but technology constraints have limited etc etc?

In a game like Grand Theft Auto, we can fill in the gaps in the universe based off experiences of the real world? But in a game like Mario, we can't?[/QUOTE]

I think the main thing is, you want to get a bite sized version of real life but minus all the things that make it tedious and unlike a video game. You want realism, but you don't want it to the point its at a detriment of fun.

The previous poster made a good point, sometimes it gets to the point of mimicking real life and many would rather just go SEE a game instead of copying it play for play. Some people like in depth simulations though and could play through a 162 game MLB season with all the bells and whistles of trades and management to get through it. I think the VGC even put in his MLB review it's too much like real baseball. As for the fantasy type stuff - there IS fantasy sports, that you can play for money, and people prefer that to playing a videogame a lot of the time.

As for Grand Theft Auto I remember a great review on Gamespot from an alternate perspective that didn't give it the glowing 10's other reviews did. There was a great point that the increase in power and realism took away from the charm the older PS2 games had. For example, yes it's ridiculous to be chased into a Pay N Spray shop and suddenly the cops not recognize you right outside the place. But it added a wild goose chase aspect to the game to see if you could be caught.

So they added 'well if you go in there and as long as you don't get caught doing something bad your stars will disappear after about 15 seconds.' So this lead to people just going in, pausing for 15 seconds anyway, then the stars completely disappearing. Did this make the more fun? Not really. Did the meter management in San Andreas to raise your stamina, strength, etc make it more fun by going to gyms, swimming through water rings, etc make it more fun? Not really.

I think it's a fine balance between having fun and keeping the game balanced with aspects that may be considered stupid or poor AI.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » February 12th, 2015, 8:11 pm

That's interesting about the anti-aliasing causing the PS4's visuals to not look so digitized in the same bad way that the PS1-PS3 did. I have noticed it. So we had 20 years of overly digitized graphics instead of it looking the way it should. To me, that's mind boggling. I guess I'm the only one who's really been bothered by the "digitized hell" Sony's been offering. And, although the PS4's graphics finally look better, the controller still has those silly triangles and squares and stuff. I really wish we could move past this. What was so amazing about the PS1 controller that for 20 years counting they're still basically putting out the same controller. It's like they're trying to be as unoriginal and bland as they can possibly be. To me, "digitized hell" is how I describe Sony, and since they control the industry, it's how I describe most of my new video game experiences over the past 20 years. But back to the games, I was thinking, maybe there's a reason why College Hoops 2k8 is the last sports game I enjoyed. I think it's because no matter how complicated games have become, Basketball is still a fast paced sport and when the action starts, there's no stopping it. Football and Baseball have suffered terribly by the overly complex nature of today's gaming universe. You couldn't pay me enough money to sit through multiple 162 game seasons in some garbage dynasty mode, or GM mode, or whatever they call it these days.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 12th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Jon, 

Although I think you're over exaggerating, there is some truth to what you're saying about the PS2, whose hardware apparently didn't support anti-aliasing at all. Developers basically had to simulate the effect using graphical tricks that don't really work on modern TVs. It's also baffling that the system only barely supports 480p when the Dreamcast, which on paper was less powerful, supported it almost 100%.

There are plenty of PS1 games that look nice and smooth, such as Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Cross, and plenty of 2D games like Suikoden and Castlevania. I agree that polygon-heavy games like Mega Man Legends look pretty jagged. The N64 produced a far smoother image in games like this.

I don't really see why Playstation buttons are so irksome to you. If they changed the visual metaphor to, say, numbers or different symbols, it would just confuse the heck out of gamers who have been accustomed to triangle, circle, square, and x for the past 20 years. Nintendo has their own labeling system and Xbox has its own. There's no reason to change something like that.

I know it's pretty boring that PS1-PS3 used essentially the same controller, but they did give it one heck of an update for the PS4. It's far more ergonomic and durable, although battery life does suffer because of that pointless back LED.

NintendoPower1

Postby NintendoPower1 » February 15th, 2015, 11:02 am

And just to clean up a bit, I really wasn't singling out the PS4 as a console - it's literally just because VGC reviews all the sports games on PS4 - PLUS - no other system has a MLB game. Every digital foundry type column I've seen has either given a slight advantage to PS4 on multiplatform comparisons with differences that are negligible at best.

As for the past with PS1 and PS2 - I totally agree about the graphics back then - especially the PS1. The 'digitized' look you speak of is the total lack of anti aliasing that it had. I always preferred the N64 anyway (see: my username), but the load times and have aliasing and pixelation was jarring whenever I played. It had it's own charm in some games though, I thought it fit the screwed up Twisted Metal world perfectly, and it was one of my favorite PS1 games.

It's all person preference however, the N64 had it's own issues and you'll hear a lot of PS1 owners say they hated the 'vasoline' blur look that appeared when you had things farther off in draw distance - I personally didn't mind it and would take that over the aliasing issues but it depends on the preference and probably what console they had, really.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » February 15th, 2015, 11:38 am

I agree. The only PS1 games I still like are the first two Twisted Metal games (especially the 2nd), and ESPN Extreme Games. A couple years ago I borrowed a couple PS1 games from my friend, one of which was Die Hard Arcade, a game that back in the day I was interested in but not enough to get it. Well, I tried it out, and the graphics were hideous, all cardboard and incredibly hard to look at and digest. It left me with an empty feeling like I was getting screwed. It's the only system I've ever played where I just got this terrible feeling playing it. Something just didn't seem right. Between the load times and the incredibly pathetic, gross graphics, I always wondered if it was even worth it, and too many times PS1 sessions left me feeling like crap. Now the N64 isn't without it's graphical problems, but I've always maintained that there were numerous timeless classics that I love like Mario 64, MK64, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, and several more. I've always felt like it was one of the best multiplayer systems ever, maybe even the best. I've actually been thoroughly enjoying playing it with my friends lately. Those facts make it easy to look past the graphical deficiencies. And, it didn't have the soul crushing load times that the PS1 had.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 16th, 2015, 9:24 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]I agree. The only PS1 games I still like are the first two Twisted Metal games (especially the 2nd), and ESPN Extreme Games...[/QUOTE]

To each his own, I guess. PS1 games are probably my most-played out of all the systems I've ever owned. I mainly play them on my PS Vita these days. Some of my all-time favorite PS1 games are as follows:

Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy VIII
Vagrant Story
Suikoden II
Suikoden
Chrono Cross
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Legend of Mana

Most of these games use some combination of 2D and 3D graphics, which the PS1 library really excelled at. The hand-drawn backgrounds of games like Legend of Mana and the SaGa series are works of art in themselves, as are the highly-detailed CG images in FF, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Cross, and Star Ocean.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 16th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Just some examples to add to my previous post...

Legend of Mana:
lom.png 

SaGa Frontier 2:
sf2.png 

Valkyrie Profile:
img-5.jpg 
FFVIII:
Confronting_Ultimecia.jpeg

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » February 17th, 2015, 2:41 pm

These are all RPG's. And, there's this misconception among RPG fans that everyone should like the genre. I have nothing against RPG fans, although I'm perturbed at their disdain for anyone who dares enjoy sports like Tennis or Basketball. Because anyone who plays those sports must be a homophobic, macho, jock. And only idiots don't like RPG's and would rather play sports or action games. But anyways, so the PS1 excelled at those type of games. It's basically an admission that it has very few timeless classics that were in 3d, which is what the system was, right? I don't see any games on the list that meet the criteria I'm talking about. The crippling graphics were a death knell for any sort of long lasting acclaim or legacy. It's a touchy subject for me, because to me video games lost their innocence with the PS1 and were never the same. After growing up and adoring video games from the 8 bit era through the 16 bit era (and early 3d era) everything just crashed. By 9th grade, everyone was talking about how great FF7 was and whether the PS1 or N64 was better. I remember thinking, they both have serious problems, what are they talking about. Now, my biggest gripe with the N64 was it's lack of releases, which left us with a couple good games a year. It's a lot better now because you have access to all of the good games, and it's a very good system to collect for. So that problem went away. But no one cares about the PS1 besides these RPG's I keep hearing about from certain factions. Periodically I see a post from someone who agrees with me and it makes me glad I'm not the only one. I know me and some of my friends don't play anything after the N64 (we don't play PS1 games). Things just changed.

Return to “Review Feedback”