Breaking news: The Order: 1886 is a bust

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 19th, 2015, 12:39 pm

As many of us expected, The Order is, by all indications, a complete disappointment. My go-to review site, Polygon, gave it a 5.5/10, leveling criticism at the story and QTE-laden gameplay. It's surprising that the team behind Chains of Olympus, a great game, couldn't produce something better. This should be yet another reminder that when you preorder, you do so at your own risk. Thoughts?

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » February 19th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Ah man, I was looking forward to this. Will wait for a few more reviews and hopefully a playable demo and decide from there.

I personally never pre-order.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 19th, 2015, 3:30 pm

The developers seem to have a bad habit of not knowing when to shut the hell up:

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/the-order-1886-is-a-target-for-haterade/

I generally don't like Polygon's review(their review of Watch Dogs was particularly embarrassing) but it sounds like they're right on the money as this game just looks very boring and doesn't sound like any fun(Jim Sterling said he was much genuinely shocked when the game ended and that it felt like one big tease).

I do pre-order games and so far i've never regretted it, but if I ever do get a PS4, this is one game I won't be buying(same with Bloodborne, that doesn't look much good either)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 19th, 2015, 3:58 pm

The salient difference with Bloodborne is that the developers aren't hyping the game--not even based on their prior achievements--but simply describing the new features they are adding to the Souls formula. These intimate looks at the development process tell you more in ten seconds than a verbose, effusive cinematic trailer can tell you in five minutes.

Games like The Order make me sad about the state of games.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » February 19th, 2015, 7:46 pm

I was quite excited for this.  News broke about a week ago that the length of the game is between 5.5 and 7 hours long.  That didn't bother me at all, since games like Uncharted and God of War usually end around the 9 or 10 hour mark.  The important thing is to do a lot in those 7 hours and it looks like Ready at Dawn were unable to do that.  I believe the game is at 65/100 on Metacritic.  I didn't expect the game to be an 85% or anything, but I'm a little shocked the game isn't better than it is.  I'm quite tired on QTE's, as most gamers in 2015 are, but I wasn't expecting them to break the game.  The reviewer from IGN says the world's atmosphere is excellent and the graphics are gorgeous, but it's mostly a "look but don't touch" affair.  Control is (reportedly) taken away from the player, as well.  The critics have been pretty harsh with this one.

If there's anything positive in all this, there are a couple of youtube reviewers that got early copies and they seem to consistently review the game closer to an 8/10.  I guess the best comparison would be XBox One's "Ryse."  Critics loathed the game, but gamers seemed to be much more tolerant of it.  Oh, and both games are graphical powerhouses that are accused of being more style than substance.  

I still want to play the game, but I'm not sure I'm gonna slap down $60 on the barrel head for it.  Might be a good weekend rental if a Redbox near me has it.  If not, I can always buy used at Gamestop, where they allow returns for a full refund for any reason.  Risk-free way of seeing if the critic's views and my own match.  Despite everything, I really hope the game does well enough to get a sequel where a lot of these problems are fixed.  The game *looks* amazing... though apparently it's not.  The world and setting are incredible and I'd like to see a game made that does them justice.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 19th, 2015, 8:53 pm

I agree JWK--this is a perfect candidate for rental. I too am planning to take it for a ride just to see the amazing graphics.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 19th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Yeah, I wasn't really following it too much until now. If anything I'll check it out when it goes on sale.

I kind of dug Ryse for its unique sort of way.

This game appears to be in a similar vein.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 19th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Personally I don't think the graphics look all that impressive, the color scheme just makes everything look so dull and unappealing.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 20th, 2015, 10:09 am

Is it really a big shocker to anyone that a 3rd person shooter with coat of steampunk/occult paint isn't really that good?  Go track down and play Shadows of the Damned instead.  At least that game has penis and poop jokes going for it.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 20th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Indeed, even though Suda wasn't crazy about how Shadows of the Damned turned out it was still pretty good.

Return to “Modern Gaming”