Plug-n-Play SNES?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » February 23rd, 2015, 5:46 pm

Okay, so we have plug-n-play versions of lots of retro consoles, like the Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, and even the SEGA Genesis.  It makes me wonder when/if we'll ever get one for the Super Nintendo.  What do you think, is it likely?  Is it even a good idea?  And if one ever came out, what games would you want on it?  Me, I'd be happy with Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, & 3, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart, and maybe the SNES Megaman Games.

ptdebate1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby ptdebate1 » February 23rd, 2015, 6:24 pm

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]Okay, so we have plug-n-play versions of lots of retro consoles, like the Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, and even the SEGA Genesis.  It makes me wonder when/if we'll ever get one for the Super Nintendo.  What do you think, is it likely?  Is it even a good idea?  And if one ever came out, what games would you want on it?  Me, I'd be happy with Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, & 3, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart, and maybe the SNES Megaman Games.[/QUOTE]

It's unlikely that we'll ever see this. Nintendo still sells these games via Virtual Console so it would be bad for business to cannibalize those sales with a clone console.

BanjoPickles1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 23rd, 2015, 7:43 pm

You'll notice that the only companies who do these plug-and-plays are not the manufacturers of hardware. Sega hasn't released a new system in sixteen years, Atari has been out of the game for twenty, etc. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to compete with themselves. Also, even if they were to, you'd never see the likes of Chrono Trigger.

DaHeckIzDat1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » February 23rd, 2015, 8:15 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]You'll notice that the only companies who do these plug-and-plays are not the manufacturers of hardware. Sega hasn't released a new system in sixteen years, Atari has been out of the game for twenty, etc. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to compete with themselves. Also, even if they were to, you'd never see the likes of Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]

I can dream, can't I? :'(

Rev1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby Rev1 » February 23rd, 2015, 11:16 pm

Yeah... as long as Nintendo is selling consoles I doubt this will ever happen, legally. Why hurt their own sales when they can sell their games on the virtual console for much more? Now I do remember one of my friends having a fake NES with games uploaded onto it, about 10 years ago or something. The plug and play was made in China and he bought it at some shop when he went on vacation to Florida. I'm sure you can find things like this if you look hard enough, especially since emulation is so easy now. However, Nintendo would never officially endorse something like this while the Virtual Console is around.

LS6501

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby LS6501 » February 24th, 2015, 12:15 am

Nintendo will never do it.

FinalLapTwinkie1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » February 24th, 2015, 10:21 am

It is a very good idea.

The downside in my book is every clone or plug and play has sound issues. The sounds are off from the original all almost every plug and play I have purchased. Sure it is a minor complaint but is it worth playing your favorite game that way?

PitfallHarry1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 24th, 2015, 6:13 pm

The idea is intriguing, but unfortunately it appears Nintendo is NOT keen on it. Not to mention, all of the ones you mentioned were licensed from their original creators, and Nintendo doesn't seem very interested in licensing out their products. A shame, but it's just how it works.

Tron1

Plug-n-Play SNES?

Postby Tron1 » March 28th, 2015, 9:00 pm

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat][QUOTE=BanjoPickles]You'll notice that the only companies who do these plug-and-plays are not the manufacturers of hardware. Sega hasn't released a new system in sixteen years, Atari has been out of the game for twenty, etc. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to compete with themselves. Also, even if they were to, you'd never see the likes of Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]

I can dream, can't I? :'([/QUOTE]

Not anymore. Time to wake up.my dream of the Wii U 3DS Player can also be added to the "unrealistic dream sections". Now that Nintendo is going mobile and subscription-based on their next console we can forget about it.

Return to “Video Games General”