K-Mart cuts out Video Games

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron1

Postby Tron1 » February 22nd, 2015, 9:21 pm

I like many things about K-Mart. I'll often elect to go there over Target to pick up cat litter or the occasional item or two. I like how it's not crowded and I can wear pjs without worrying about running into anyone I know. I also like how it hasn't been remodeled in 30 years. I look up at the ceiling, the light fixtures and the paint on the wall & I feel like I've gone back in time.

The video game selection has been sparse for years. Still it's fun seeing old PS2 games marked for full price and knowing that there's no way it'll ever sell. K-Mart never seems to know what they're doing, but that's part of its charm. I've seen them put expensive Mario games on clearance while charging $20 more for Hannah Montana on the DS. Two months ago I bought some PSP games from them while every other retailer stopped carrying PSP games over a year ago.

I still shop at Target and other retailers, but I've always held a special fondness for K-Mart. I remember going there with my mom as a child. I remember eating in their cafeteria, I don't think Any K-Marts have had cafeterias since the 90's. I remember the bright turquoise and pink stripes on the walls I remember how so many people shopped there and the enthusiasm the employees and customers had. Now it's like a flea market and the employees are all angry.

I know K-Mart should've folded years ago, but I still liked shopping there. Now that they arent carrying video games anymore I think for me they are officially dead. I would've rather they just closed up shop then keep it open without video games.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 22nd, 2015, 10:29 pm

K-Mart still sells games, don't know what you're talking about:

http://www.kmart.com/tvs-electronics-gaming/b-1347163426

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » February 23rd, 2015, 1:56 am

K-Mart is in horrible shape ever since they were given new management. It's speculated that the 'new guy' is very off his rocker, and the fact Sears bought it out things were not looking up save three out of fifty remaining stores.

You should not be surprised if you find a Nintendo 64 game in box in the inventory, and it has the same price since release.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 24th, 2015, 5:24 am

My Mother and Father are in Florida right now, and told me they found a K-Mart a few days ago.  They compared it to the junior department store "Rossy" back here, which is a step removed from a dollar store, so I can only imagine what that's like.  

Still, at least they didn't expand blindly into Canada and fold out completely in just two years, like Target did here (for some reason, I don't think they realized how entrenched Wal-Mart was here, or why all those old Zellar's locations were available to be bought up).  

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » February 24th, 2015, 10:12 am

All the K-Marts in my area have closed shop years ago. One still had a cafeteria up till the day it closed about ten years ago. Sears should shutter their shops and re-open as catalog stores only.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 5th, 2015, 10:58 pm

I guess K-mart wasn't making enough money on video games so they just discontinued carrying it. Maybe looking at the bottom dollar in sales is all businesses are able to do. Maybe statistics can't be compiled for what gets people in the store to buy other things. I've shopped at K-mart many times over the past two years. Honestly I haven't bought many games from them, but I would always check out the games and pick up a few other random items. Now that there are no video games to even see I won't be going back into Kmart again. Now All the money I used to spend at Kmart will go to Wal Mart. It seems like a bad business decision from my perspective.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 28th, 2015, 8:52 pm

I just traveled 2 hours back to my hometown. The K-Mart here doesn't sell video games either.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 29th, 2015, 2:41 am

I didn't know K-Mart was still kicking. They all went out of business here in Minnesota last year

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 31st, 2015, 12:14 pm

Ha, I've never visited it but there's a K-Mart on Lake St in Minneapolis.  

The weird thing - there were cars in the parking lot...

Who knew?

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 31st, 2015, 6:06 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Ha, I've never visited it but there's a K-Mart on Lake St in Minneapolis.  

The weird thing - there were cars in the parking lot...

Who knew?[/QUOTE]

That's why I liked K-Mart. Front row parking, clear aisles without people getting in the way & minimal lines. All that is worth the few extra cents on the dollar that I pay.

Return to “Video Games General”