True Crime: New York City (PS2)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
PitfallHarry1

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 24th, 2015, 6:18 pm

So, a while back I decided to bite the bullet and play a game called True Crime Streets of LA. It turned out to be fun, and have a fantastic representation of L.A . Never before had I seen a game detail the city so flawlessly. Even GTA 5 doesn't match its incredible detail and scope. Well, loving that, I purchased this game. And I must say, the potential is huge. The graphics are OUTSTANDING. For 15 year old hardware, I never saw anything look this nice on the PS2 before. It really is a FEAST for the eyes. On the other hand, the city is detailed, and the amount of buildings you can enter is INSANE. I also love the large variety of weapons you can handle (though no brands are specifically named, unfortunately). Now, the problems are what make the game fall. First of all, the cars handle like GARBAGE. Imagine rubbing K-Y jelly on your tires, and driving through an ARCTIC TUNDRA! Yes, it's that bad. Next, the glitches are insane. Don't be surprised getting stuck in buildings, falling through stuff, becoming stuck on NPC's. This is saddening, because the variety and scope of the game is insane. Maybe an HD remaster could happen? Touching up the game, and making it look EVEN BETTER? Maybe, but for now, I've gotta say, it hasn't satisfied me NEARLY as much as the first game did.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » February 24th, 2015, 11:36 pm

I have the true crime games on my original xbox.
these were definetly great and lots of fun !!!!

PitfallHarry1

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 25th, 2015, 11:48 am

I loved the first. But I can't believe how glitchy this game is. It really is saddening, because in terms of environment, this game makes Streets of LA look dull. But it's not as smooth as LA.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 25th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I had both of these game on the PC many years ago and quite enjoyed them, that version(NYC) had far fewer glitches then the console versions(though the game still would on occasion exit to desktop, so I made sure to save often) and I had no problem with the driving controls.

I hope we get another True Crime game one of these days, i'd like to see the next game set in Houston with the protagonist being a Texas Ranger.

Ozzybear- I heard the Xbox version of True Crime: NYC was almost unbeatable due to one nasty glitch during the cargo ship level, did you manage to get past that part.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » February 25th, 2015, 3:21 pm

I havent played this in a long long time and i do remember it being
extremely hard and not finishing the game , so i wouldnt doubt that
that is the reason what so ever lol !!

Maximus1

Postby Maximus1 » March 1st, 2015, 10:54 pm

Hi guys, fun fact about the "True Crime" series, although it ended you can now play the spiritual successor "Sleeping Dogs" which was originally based on the third game "True Crime: Hong Kong". [wink]

Return to “Now Playing”