Bravely Default (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Bravely Default (3DS)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 8th, 2015, 11:31 am

I just started this game last night.  Coming off the masterpiece of Chrono Trigger, this game is going to have to be on point to wow me.  

I've only played for like an hour.  The storyline seems a bit generic, the battle system seems like it's gonna have some nice options...and the art style is amazing.  The game is stunning to view in 3D.  

The game uses the Job System which is one of my all time favorite systems from the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest games.  So I'm really pumped to sink my teeth into that.

So far, first impressions have been good.  I'm also thankful that not every NPC speaks...just important ones.  That's a good compromise.  Not every pig farmer or Apothecary Shoppe owner needs to have a voice actor!

JWK1

Bravely Default (3DS)

Postby JWK1 » January 8th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Sounds like you're on a bit of a JRPG kick, my friend!  I'm afraid I'm starting to reach critical mass with the genre.  It's been more than a year of playing almost nothing other than JRPGs; I got completely hooked and plunged into a bunch of the classics I never played growing up because I hate Role Playing Games.  It was a definite good time, but it just recently has started feeling like too much.  Of course it didn't help that I was tackling 4 JRPGs at the same time, but the combination of genre-fatigue and getting a PS4 has gotten me away from turn-based games.  Just for a while.  In a couple of months, I will probably be more than ready to finish Final Fantasy VII.

I own Bravely Default, but it's still in plastic.  I understand that it's a big return to form for Square and a follow up is going to be released in the next year or so.  Like you said, the Job System and battle mechanics are supposed to be top notch and pretty innovative.  I look forward to it.  Keep me updated on what you think about it.

JustLikeHeaven1

Bravely Default (3DS)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 9th, 2015, 9:30 am

Yeah I tend to play similar games in bunches...so right now I'm really on a JRPG kick.  It's a genre that you can get burnt out on very quickly though.  You're a champ for going through 4 of em at the same time!  I usually just stick to one and then play one other game (of a different genre) as a sort of palette cleanser.  

I've also found that RPGs are played best on the portable systems.  For some reason I really just like playing these games while lounging on the couch or laying in bed before I go to sleep.  It's probably the lack of demanding controls that make the genre well suited to portable gaming.

I haven't played Bravely Default since my first post...but I will certainly provide more thoughts and updates periodically throughout my time with it.  

Greisha1

Bravely Default (3DS)

Postby Greisha1 » January 10th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I just got this in the mail a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying the game so far. The graphics and music are great, and the battle system seems pretty fresh with the new "Brave / Default" system. It's fun to spam the enemies with multiple attacks whilst they sit around. From about an hour in, the story appears to be a throwback to the old Final Fantasy "Save the Crystals, Light Warriors!" standby.

Anywoot, my only qualm is that the Job System seems to be kinda slow in coming. I can only be a "Freelancer," "Monk," and "White Mage" so far. Whrs mi Red Mage?

JustLikeHeaven1

Bravely Default (3DS)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 27th, 2015, 11:22 am

[QUOTE=Greisha]

Anywoot, my only qualm is that the Job System seems to be kinda slow in coming. I can only be a "Freelancer," "Monk," and "White Mage" so far. Whrs mi Red Mage?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah this game starts off brutally slow.  So much so that I actually got bored with it and haven't played the game in close to a month.  

Also, the characters...ugh the characters.  They're so annoying.  I wish the voice overs were in Japanese or you had the option to turn them off completely.  After playing through the lovable and masterful Chrono Trigger it is painful to have such bad, one dimensional characters in BD.

I will revisit the game at some point, but so far this one ain't living up to the hype.

Return to “Now Playing”