Virtua Fighter Series

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Sut1 » January 30th, 2015, 6:13 am

I'm revisiting the Virtua Fighter series. I've been playing Virtua Fighter 1 on 32x and have just moved on to Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn.

Boy I can't decide if I love or hate this series, VF2 is brutal! It's both frustrating and satisfying in equal measure. I feel like smashing the pad when fighting Kage, but it feels sooooo good when you do win.

I know the series has a reputation as 'hardcore' the characters vary that wildly it's almost impossible to go through the game with each fighter. It seems better to find a character that suits and attempt to master them. I'm almost afraid to try the expert mode, normal gives me a sound beating.

I think the games lack the flow of the Street Fighter Series or even Soul Calibur but it's definitely deeper - almost to a fault.

I've had a quick go on VF3 (Dreamcast) and VF4 (PS2) but I want to at least get competent on VF2 first.
I've read VF2 is still the best for the purist, VF3 the black sheep and VF4 more accessible ?

So are 3&4 easier ?
What's your favourite entry ?
Do you like the series ?
Is it too technical and deep to be fun ?
Do you stick to a couple of characters ?

Would love to hear your opinions.

Rev1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Rev1 » January 30th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Man.... VF has always been a miss for me. I know the games have gotten excellent reviews over the years but I could never get into the series. VF4 Evolution is often labeled as one of the best 3D fighters for the PS2 yet I can never get into the game (I've tried like 10 or so times over the years). Maybe it's because the game has a steep learning curve or something? I know its supposed to reward those players that stick with it but eh....

ptdebate1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby ptdebate1 » January 30th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Virtua Fighter is the Forza of fighting games. 

While I appreciate the level of polish and depth in these games, at the end of the day, I just prefer Mario Kart (read: Soul Calibur, Smash), if you know what I mean. 

FinalLapTwinkie1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » February 26th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Virtua Fighter was a breath of fresh air at the time. Different enough from other fighters to warrant playing. I still enjoy the 32X version and the remix for the Saturn is not bad either. Now like most past fighters it is better left to play on the original systems. Something always gets lost in translation to newer consoles. VF4 on the PS2 sounds like blasphemy.

Sut1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Sut1 » February 26th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I'm having a lot more fun with Fighting Vipers on Saturn. Similar mechanics but less punishing AI.
Yeah the graphics are rougher than Virtua Fighter 2 and the game lacks the polish and strategy of VF2 but FV is definitely more accessible and to me at least more fun.

Jon1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Jon1 » February 26th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I'm only familiar with the arcade versions, especially the second, and they were really fun, . The graphics were incredible, the outdoor environments were amazing. From what I've heard it doesn't seem like the series translated well to consoles. Boy I miss how arcades were back in 1994-95. It was just amazing, and this series was part of it. Sega was money back then.

Maximus1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Maximus1 » March 1st, 2015, 11:12 pm

I don't know if anyone will read this, but recently it has come to my attention that Virtua Fighter 5 had a re-balanced version, I believe it is called Final Showdown and I'm going to play it, after I do i'll leave my feedback here. But for now i'll leave you with my history, i've been playing games since I was 3 and Virtua Fighter was the first game I played on the Saturn, I really didn't like it, but it was the only game I had so played it and got good enough to beat the game on normal, eventually i got Virtua Fighter 2 for my seventh birthday and this one I actually liked and played until my Saturn broke. 
Now it has been more than a decade since I played any Virtua Fighter, but I do recall a lot of fun and frustration (probably due to the learning curve). I do play a couple of fighting games and I consider myself an above average player.
Anyway wish me luck and in about a month i'll leave an opinion on it.

Weekend_Warrior1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 2nd, 2015, 1:18 pm

In case you didn't know, there's also a port of the arcade version of Virtua Fighter 2 available on PSN/XBLA.

I think it's $4.99. But I got it a couple months ago when it was on sale for only $2.49 [smile]

Sut1

Virtua Fighter Series

Postby Sut1 » March 2nd, 2015, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=Maximus]nyway wish me luck and in about a month i'll leave an opinion on it.[/QUOTE]

Always ! Opinions are what forums are all about !

@Weekend Warrior
Thanks for the heads up, but to be fair I think the Saturn version replicates the gameplay of the arcade perfectly. How about a Model 2 collection Sega ?

Return to “Classic Gaming”