Atari Anthology (PS2)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Sut1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Sut1 » March 5th, 2015, 5:47 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]The arcade version has that big thrust handle on the right that makes it seem so solid and real.  I don't know if there is a cockpit version, but add in some toggles and dials and you could really get immersed.[/QUOTE]

I've never come across the arcade cabinet of this game, the version on Atari Anthology is my first experience of it. It does sound fantastic though.

[QUOTE=scotland17]Nothing like crashing and dying in the icy cold vacuum of space.[/QUOTE]

The great thing is, the game does make you feel like you are in the icy cold vacuum of space. I can't sing it's praises highly enough.

Sut1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Sut1 » March 8th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Major Havoc: To begin with I really enjoyed this game, I think the vector graphics are cool and the multiple play styles kept things fresh. However the longer I played the game the more irritating it became. The control is just too annoying, I know they were trying some gravity/inertia type thing but accidental deaths due to twitchy controls kill it for me. C

So upto yet no surprises, the games that are good are the ones I had previous heard of.

Next up: Millipede

Sut1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Sut1 » March 11th, 2015, 5:33 am

Millipede - Good game but a very incremental upgrade from Centipede and of the two, I think I prefer Centipede. I think there is more strategy to Centipede whilst Millipede is more luck and twitch reflexes. B

Missile Command - Great game but severely hampered by having to use the PS2 controller, making the 2600 version more playable (on this compilation at least). The lack of precise control makes the arcade version very difficult. B

Pong - Always fun, again controller issues abound after several sensitivity tweaks I managed to complete the challenges, but it was joypad throwing frustrating. As always best with a friend. B

Space Duel - Fun, but essentially a two player version of Asteroids with less interesting enemies and a bizarre chain gimmick. Ok if you've never played much Asteroids, I have so I'll just stick to Asteroids. C

Next up Red Baron (looking forward to this from Leo's and Astrosmashers previous posts) and Super Breakout (which will probably be infuriating due to controls again).

Sut1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Sut1 » March 17th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Red Baron - It was fun for a while this one, kinda like Battlezone in the sky but without the strategy of that great title. Worth a play and always good for a quick blast. C+

Super Breakout - Surprisingly the controls weren't too bad at all, having got the Pong sensitivity to my liking it also saved it for this game. I love breakout games and still find it addictive to this day. A

Tempest - Another classic, very enjoyable. I've probably been spoilt a bit playing Tempest 2000 on the Saturn. Still great fun though even without all the psychedelic trappings of its sequel.

Warlords - Another great title, again though the PS2 pad doesn't lend itself well to this game. Only thing I don't like is when if playing single player the 3 CPU opponents tend to target you. Really enjoyed this with 2 players it must be a scream with 4 players. B+

So that's all the arcade games played, I've got 5 more challenges to try and overcome.
The classics are indeed still classics.

My favourites have been the well known: Asteroids, Centipede, Battlezone, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Pong, Super Breakout, Tempest and Warlords.

Games that are very enjoyable but not top tier: Red Baron, Millipede.

Games that were OK (a bit 'meh'): Asteroids Deluxe, Black Widow, Liberator, Space Duel, Major Havoc and Gravitar.

Only game I didn't like was Crystal Castles.

Next 'constellation' is arcade at home, having never owned a 2600 I'm looking forward to see how Atari brought the arcade experience home.

Ps. If anyone has got any point scoring tips for Missile Command let me know !

Leo1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Leo1 » March 17th, 2015, 6:43 pm

I've enjoyed reading your impressions, which in many ways mirror my own. There's some variations there of course, but overall, they're quite similar such as our feelings towards Crystal Castles. 

Moving on to the 2600, I can't urge enough to be sure to check out the manual for each title to get the best out of many of the games. For instance, in Asteroids, the default B setting for the difficulty switches will disable the UFOs and satellites from making an appearance.

And on game 1, the asteroids only move vertically, the action is fairly slow, and the game is too generous with spare lives. But move it to game 6, and the small asteroids will suddenly have some horizontal movement to them, the action will be faster, and the lives won't be handed out left and right.

Plus, there can be some neat variations as well, such as with Asteroids, how it incorporates alternate games that swap out hyperspace for shields or a flip ability that allows you to switch direction 180 degrees instantly.

Without it, you'll miss out on the best many of these games have to offer, such as the expanded and randomized world of Adventure on game 3 which has so much more to it than the default beginner's game that can just about be mastered in 5 or 10 minutes. 

And best of all, all these manual scans are right at your fingertips in this collection in the extras section for each title.

PinMike86661

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby PinMike86661 » March 18th, 2015, 12:35 am

I feel the compilation is lacking due to having games that have special control schemes such as Major Havoc having a rotation cylinder that acts as a trackball, Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Liberator, and Crystal Castles using trackball controls, Tempest and Super Breakout being rotary (paddle) games, and some Atari 2600 games included require paddle controllers. It's just incompetent design to just throw games that are unplayable on standard controllers; the most baffling of which was Kaboom! on all the Activision Anthology compilations as it's completely unplayable without paddle controls.

Leo1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Leo1 » March 18th, 2015, 7:42 am

There's no way around that with a classic Atari compilation, since they often utilized controls other than a digital 8 way stick. Just the nature of the beast that many of the better games are oftentimes all but unplayable (And sadly, the multiplayer nature of several other good games on here take them out of contention for routine use for most of us, like Combat).

Some of them still manage though to be fun for me despite the compromised control schemes, like Centipede, Millipede, and Tempest. And opinions differ; look at how Sut enjoyed Super Breakout on this collection for example. I found that one and Pong unplayable, although I didn't adjust any settings. But nice that it was there for at least one gamer.

And even more so, imagine the outcry among customers that fire up something like Activision Anthology and don't find Kaboom present. Not much choice but to include such an iconic game, even though people are quickly going to realize that it's not worth their time once they play it in the collection. 

Better to let them realize first hand that it's not going to play well with a modern controller and that the fault is inherent with the nature of the system itself, than not have it present at all and be criticized over leaving it out.

Sut1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Sut1 » March 30th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Asteroids (2600) - A
This is great ! Big thanks to Leo for pointing out about enabling the saucers it does add much to the gameplay. It may not look like the original but Atari nailed the playability. Also oddly, I prefer playing the game in a dark room (is that just me ?). Excellent conversion, absolute classic game.

I'm down to 3 challenges now, but I'm struggling:
Missile Command 7500 points on double speed
Gravitar 10,000 points on double speed
Gravitar 15,000 points in trippy mode (gah! I hate this mode)

Leo1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Leo1 » March 30th, 2015, 11:12 pm

What did you think of the higher numbered games in Asteroids (Specifically, how asteroids suddenly gain some horizontal movement in, I think, even numbered games)? That made a huge difference as a kid when I discovered that. When optimally set up, I think this is one of the console's best arcade conversions from back in the day. 

To digress slightly, homebrewers have done some amazing things with Asteroids on the 2600, including Space Rocks from occasional VGC poster, SpiceWare. If you ever get into the real deal, I can't urge enough to check out the homebrew community on both the 2600 and its more modern descendant, the 7800. 

Can't talk about Asteroids on the 2600 without mentioning Space Rocks. [smile]

Sut1

Atari Anthology (PS2)

Postby Sut1 » March 31st, 2015, 4:54 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]What did you think of the higher numbered games in Asteroids (Specifically, how asteroids suddenly gain some horizontal movement in, I think, even numbered games)? That made a huge difference as a kid when I discovered that. When optimally set up, I think this is one of the console's best arcade conversions from back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tend to try and play through all the variations and as you state the even numbers are labelled 'fast' in Atari Anthology. But this is the first game I've flicked the virtual difficulty switch (although to be fair the only other 2600 games I've played on the anthology are Space War and Air-Sea Battle).
The 'fast' versions seem to have the horizontal movement and your right the difficulty does indeed ramp up but never frustratingly so.

Leo thanks for your information and gameplay tips whilst I'm discovering this generation, being a Brit we were all on home computers until the Mega Drive came along. Please, please keep them coming.

I've picked up Activision Anthology and Intellivision Lives for more exploration of second generation gaming, but I've still got loads more games to play through on this compilation first.

Return to “Now Playing”