James and Mike Mondays

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby Voor1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Anyone else really enjoy these? Yeah, they're corny and crude, but it brings me back to the days of playing with friends and being stupid.....sigh.

mbd361

James and Mike Mondays

Postby mbd361 » March 10th, 2015, 10:28 am

I love it. It's just like being there playing a game with friends.

I like when they get Bootsy to play some really difficult game and he makes it look easy. He recently breezed through "Silver Surfer" as if it's nothing.

JustLikeHeaven1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 10th, 2015, 10:47 am

Yep I love this series.  I tune in every monday lol.

The reason it works so well compared to normal "watch it played" YouTube videos is that you're watching James and Mike on the couch almost as much as the game.  Also, I love that they tackle single player games together.  My friends and I used to do that all the time back in the day.  

Yeah they're crude and they swear alot...but to be honest I'm pretty much the same way.  Again, the series just hits close to home and it's fun watching them play.  Though when they slogged through Shadows of the Empire about a month ago I could barely watch.  That game has aged horribly and it was making me sick to watch the spastic camera movments lol.

I'm glad James has found another very popular show that doesn't require him to be the Nerd cause sometimes that just feels forced.  I'm sure he also got tired of having to play crappy games too.

PitfallHarry1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby PitfallHarry1 » March 10th, 2015, 11:05 am

I don't really find it that fun to watch. Then again, it may be because of my image of Mike Matei. He's a douchebag. He published emails between James Rolfe and Chris Bores. Which was honestly nobodies business. I think Chris gets a bad wrap honestly.

BanjoPickles1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 10th, 2015, 12:58 pm

As weird as it may be, AVGN is the thing that I like least about Cinemassacre/James Rolfe. I liked the early episodes, but he's gotten way out of hand with creating stories out of the episodes, along with distracting special effects. I love Board James, You Know What's Bull****, and James and Mike Mondays.

JustLikeHeaven1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 10th, 2015, 1:28 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]As weird as it may be, AVGN is the thing that I like least about Cinemassacre/James Rolfe. I liked the early episodes, but he's gotten way out of hand with creating stories out of the episodes, along with distracting special effects. I love Board James, You Know What's Bull****, and James and Mike Mondays. [/QUOTE]

Yeah I sort of agree with this.  The AVGN shtick doesn't really do much for me anymore.  I'd much rather see him review a movie or focus on other aspects of the site.  Luckily that seems to be the case recently.

Vexer1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby Vexer1 » March 10th, 2015, 9:20 pm

I still love AVGN to this day, but I do like seeing James play more modern games.

velcrozombie1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby velcrozombie1 » March 11th, 2015, 6:05 pm

I have mixed feelings about the AVGN (mainly because I've never found him to be very funny), but I do like some of James Rolfe's other videos. I watched the most recent episode of James and Mike Mondays (Life Force) and I liked it well enough for the reasons JustLikeHeaven mentioned - the camaraderie between a couple of friends playing a game and just shooting the breeze is infectious to watch, especially since I rarely get to do it myself now. This is also why I watch some stuff by Two Best Friends Play (or Super Best Friends Play, now that they have a couple more members): they've all known each other for a long time and share similar interests while still having distinct personalities, so you feel like you're hanging out with a bunch of friends when you watch them play games together. I'd recommend the Friday Night Fisticuffs videos they do, since they always have all four guys in a room playing one or two different fighting games every week and it feels really casual (they also do Saturday Morning Scrublords, with weird and/or terrible fighting games, and that might be even more entertaining).

Voor1

James and Mike Mondays

Postby Voor1 » March 11th, 2015, 7:31 pm

My favorites were when they beat the 64 Star Wars (that look on James' face after they beat IG88 is priceless) and Super Ghosts and Ghouls. I think me and my friends had some of the exact same conversations regarding the gameplay.

The older videos are the best, but I like some of the newer ones, despite the production (R.O.B., etc). The profanity is so over the top that it just all blends together after a while. He's talked a lot about getting burned out at times making the videos, so I imagine that this is a much easier way to keep viewers and spread out the AVGN videos more.

Mike is obnoxious, no doubt, but he's a good juxtaposition for James'. And to be honest, as a youngster, I was probably more like Mike, as embarrassing as that is to say.

Return to “Video Games General”