Namco Museum Volume 2 review

General and high profile video game topics.
Dennis

Postby Dennis » August 17th, 2004, 10:10 am

Ooh, I finally found another Super Pac-Man fan! SPM is the classic game I always look for at the arcade. I suck at the others ... can barely make it through 3-4 screens on PM or Ms. Pac-Man... but I used to be able to do 40+ on SPM. In fact in junior high school I got in a fight at the local swimming pool because I beat some kid's high score.

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 17th, 2004, 12:15 pm

ahhhh, those were the days...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 17th, 2004, 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=mappy mouse pd] Mappy is not an elephant, he's a mouse--perhaps the most famous cartoon mouse in the world. I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion that he was an elephant. After all, elephants have large trunks and aren't often pursued by cats.
[/QUOTE]

That's amazing - for years I thought it was a little elephant running around. Must be the big gray ears - or maybe it was that police uniform. How in the world could a little mouse fit into a police uniform? Police uniforms are normally worn by elephants.

I played Mappy tonight for the first time in a long while. Man it's hard - I couldn't even score 20K! I guess it's not too bad, but I hate getting trapped on the platforms between two cats. I adjusted the review but kept the same grade.

Thanks for writing,
Dave

PS: Did anybody else think that mouse was an elephant??

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 18th, 2004, 6:18 am

....uh,no, Mappy was popular enough to be reviewed as a
coin-op in ALL the old vid-game magazines, and if you knew
the other things were CATS...wow, they'd have to be both big
and stupid to chase an elephant(ok, mappy is not drawn well
and his nose DOES look like a trunk.) The full title was
Mappy:Micro Police, thus the tiny uniform. Namco expected Mappy to be as popular as pac man, but only one really bad
sequal was released, HOPPING MAPPY.

When talking about famous mice, don't forget the one
in MOUSETRAP! (did he have a name?)

I think super pac is easy because the SAME pattern works on
every single board, and you've really got 6 power pellets,
4 regular and 2 super. Darn hard to get the two prizes, tho.

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 18th, 2004, 9:31 am

Yes, Mappy is a member of the Micro Police, so he wears a little mouse uniform. Of course, if we're talking about proportions, why is Mappy Mouse bigger than the cats who are chasing him?

There were other Mappy games besides Hopping Mappy. Everyone knows Mappyland, which was released in the United States on the NES. There's also an obscure Famicom game called Mappy Kids. Mappy has also made cameos in other Namco games, such as Point Blank and Ridge Racer.

My par score for Mappy is 100,000. The trick is to pick up the items in pairs. Also, you can avoid getting caught between two hench-kitties by managing the doors well.

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 18th, 2004, 9:37 am

By the way, thanks for making the change. Now if you could just change "mildy entertaining" to "thoroughly engrossing," that would be great.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 18th, 2004, 9:55 am

[QUOTE=mappy mouse pd]By the way, thanks for making the change. Now if you could just change "mildy entertaining" to "thoroughly engrossing," that would be great. [/QUOTE]

This is my golden opporunity to incorporate the word "Map-tastic" in a review. It's about time!

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 18th, 2004, 2:42 pm

I can't say I've learned any valuable information from this thread, but it's certainly been one of the most amusing series of posts I've ever read. Did you say "mapptastic"?! Give me a break!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 18th, 2004, 10:35 pm

mappy the mouse now theres a cool name.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » August 19th, 2004, 12:11 am

Let's not foresake our British friends, people! Dangermouse is by far the coolest rodent.

And for your soccer comment, Mappy, here goes: Soccer sucks. It took an American to figure out how to pick it up and throw it for 6 points, not kick it for 1.

And about the Japanese: They like Mappy Mouse, crapping in the ground, video games about fingering people in the butt, 80's metal, and trying to take over the world with the Nazis.

Yea! We win again.

Cousin Vinnie

Return to “Video Games General”