Most Arrogant-Sounding Game Titles

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 18th, 2015, 8:31 pm

The other day I was reviewing World Heroes Perfect and my friend Brent suggested I come up with a list of the top games with Arrogant-sounding names.  I thought it was a good idea so I'd thought I'd let everybody in on it.

Here are a few ideas so far:
World Heroes Perfect
Final Fantasy #
Final Fight
"Great" sports series for Sega Master System
Perhaps a "Realsports" game that doesn't live up to the name.

I think you get the idea.  I'll open it up to the floor.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 18th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Warlords (snowball fight meets hot potato)
Alien Invaders Plus!
Wild Gunman
Video Olympics
Dragons Lair (NES)
Godzilla (NES)
Street Fighter II Championship Edition
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Crush Crumble and Chomp!
New Super Mario Bros U
Super Mario 3D World
Asteroids Hyper 64
Impossible Mission
The Astonishing Adventures of Mr Weems and the She Vampires
Micro Machines 64 Turbo
Shaun White Snowboarding World Stage
Gauntlet III the Final Quest

I am not a fan of "Its the new improved super duper game in 3D starring mr cool shoes". The limit is one adjective or an endorsement. That holds even if you were foolish to call your franchise Super Mario instead of Mario. Its the Amazing Spiderman, or the Spectacular Spiderman, its not both amazing and spectacular at the same time.

I am far more forgiving of just being evocative when the game cannot measure up, like Warlords, but less so if the game just tries to name drop something it is not, like Dragons Lair.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 18th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Otomedius Excellent always made me giggle [smile]. Also Grandia Xtreme. Basically, anything with "Extreme" in the title tends to be extremely bad.

Curious as to the choice of Final Fantasy though. Reading "Final" as in "the 'final' word in _____"?

The designer of the original Final Fantasy on NES (Hironobu Sakaguchi) chose that title because his games had been very unsuccessful up to that point and this was to be his last attempt at creating something profitable before exiting the industry entirely. It proved to be an underdog contender against Japan's premier RPG franchise, Dragon Quest, and brought in just enough cash to spawn a sequel. There would have been too much risk in changing the title to something different, so thus the world saw "Final Fantasy 2," the very first in a long line of paradoxical titles. So if anything I think the title would represent humility and desparation.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 19th, 2015, 6:46 am

Star Ocean: The Last Hope: International (not only does it have two subtitles, there was already a version released in the US so it's not exactly the "international" version)

Just about anything with "Super" put in front of it for the SNES.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 19th, 2015, 10:41 am

How about Candy Crush Saga? The most basic puzzle game released for mobile phones... Why does it need "Saga" in the title? To add to the pretension, the company who made it tried suing other companies who released games with Saga in their titles, too.

Anything with "Chronicles" in the title always sounds pretentious, too. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. Xenoblade Chronicles. These aren't Exactly Shakespeare plays, folks. They're video games. [tongue]

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » March 20th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Personally, I think the most arrogant titles are the "Game of the Year" editions. The best (worst?) example I can think of was the Dead Island Game of the Year release. Including all the DLC doesn't make it award winning.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 20th, 2015, 1:42 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]Personally, I think the most arrogant titles are the "Game of the Year" editions. The best (worst?) example I can think of was the Dead Island Game of the Year release. Including all the DLC doesn't make it award winning.[/QUOTE]

I've always seen that as being more like a bribe. Like putting money in the judge's hand so he'll score you better, except they're giving us free game content. Honestly I think that might actually end up hurting their sales in the end. Gamers llike me won't buy games like Dragon Age: Inquisition because we know eventually there's going to be a GotY edition for the same exact price with all the extra dlc and stuff.

Dave1

Postby Dave1 » March 20th, 2015, 2:30 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]Personally, I think the most arrogant titles are the "Game of the Year" editions. The best (worst?) example I can think of was the Dead Island Game of the Year release. Including all the DLC doesn't make it award winning.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. In what world did any publication deem Dead Island game of the year?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » March 20th, 2015, 3:37 pm

How about Tobal no. 1? It's like they just assumed it would be good enough to warrant a sequel. I mean, apparently it was. But still...

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 20th, 2015, 4:15 pm

I think the Busby titles deserve a mention... All their puns and aims to be witty when they released many sub par games.

Extreme Go-Kart Racing (Ps1)- There's nothing extreme about this game...

Any games that have the exact same names as a previous title but are not remakes.. I.E. Shinobi (PS2) vs. the original Shinobi (arcades, SMS).

Any games that have a direct sequel to a series but then completely change the name of the title so you would never know (I.E. Dragon Ball Z Buu's Fury which was technically Legacy of Goku 3 but the developers completely changed the name).

Return to “Video Games General”