The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 30th, 2013, 12:25 pm

[QUOTE=a]I have noticed multiplatform games tend to be more expensive on Gamecube. Take a look at Mega Man X collection for a good example.

Also, I don't know why you'd pick the PS2 version over the Gamecube version. The Gamecube would almost always have better graphics, much better load times and 4-player without an adapter. Same for Xbox. When I picked a game I would usually pick Xbox or Gamecube. The controller for Gamecube was really only worse for first person shooters anyway (due to the c-stick), and not that bad for those. I'd usually get the Xbox version for FPS, Gamecube for most others, and PS2 just in a few rare cases, such as if it's much cheaper (such as Mega Man X collection).[/QUOTE]

so does the Xbox version.... I dunno, I guess it is personal preference but the NGC controller almost always works better for games designed specifically for the console. I love the controller and I still use it quite a bit but when it comes to other games that are cross platform I almost always pick another version then the one on the NGC.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 30th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I think it's rated perfectly. The Cube had SOME things going for it, but this can all be offset by the negatives. No CD/DVD playback, tiny data storage on disks, meager online play, Component cables expensive (I found a multi-out for a reasonable 65 dollars though), lack of Hi-Def, Mediocre controllers, it just has too many things weighing it down! Whenever I have the choice, I pick the Xbox versions of games. I for one like the BOTH controllers just fine and moreso than other systems. I like the custom soundtrack feature as well. Private servers are still online today for Halo 2 (the only game I LOVED in the series). Also, alot of games display in 720p, and if they don't, I have a modded system to automatically upscale to that level (no, I didn't put emulators on my Xbox!). But the Gamecube versions of games, while looking slightly better than the PS2 versions, played lousy due to the controller!

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » July 1st, 2013, 12:13 am

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]I think it's rated perfectly. The Cube had SOME things going for it, but this can all be offset by the negatives. No CD/DVD playback, tiny data storage on disks, meager online play, Component cables expensive (I found a multi-out for a reasonable 65 dollars though), lack of Hi-Def, Mediocre controllers, it just has too many things weighing it down! Whenever I have the choice, I pick the Xbox versions of games. I for one like the BOTH controllers just fine and moreso than other systems. I like the custom soundtrack feature as well. Private servers are still online today for Halo 2 (the only game I LOVED in the series). Also, alot of games display in 720p, and if they don't, I have a modded system to automatically upscale to that level (no, I didn't put emulators on my Xbox!). But the Gamecube versions of games, while looking slightly better than the PS2 versions, played lousy due to the controller![/QUOTE]

GC was more powerful than PS2 and less powerful than Xbox. But that's not the point of this thread. During there release the GC was underrated the most and received the least amount of respect. I was a proud owner of a GC and and Xbox during that generation. I was shocked then how good GC games compared to Xbox. Most people at the time didn't realize how much power was in that little box.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » March 25th, 2015, 7:48 pm

I for one think they the GCN had the greatest controller of all time. It was so damn comfortable and molded to your hands. And the analog stick was awesome.

You know, I've been thinking a lot about my nostalgia for the Purple Lunchbox and about all the fun memories of my little brother and I playing this literally all the time. I'm going to buy one since they're cheap and Imma get a GB Player and a GBA GCN Adapter.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 25th, 2015, 8:56 pm

I personally loved the controller as well, next to the 360 controller it's my personal favorite.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 25th, 2015, 9:00 pm

I like the Gamecube. It's got some great exclusives. And boy, Mario Sunshine is unbelievable.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » March 25th, 2015, 9:38 pm

The system was my favorite of that generation, and not just because I am a Nintendophile (though I am).  There were a few exclusive games that really just made the system for me:  Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, REMake, RE0, Odama, etc.  There were more that started off as exclusives, but eventually went to other systems which I don't mention here.  They all made the Gamecube the best experience for me personally.

Having said that, there wasn't a system that didn't have games that caught my eye.  I have fond memories of that generation, maybe because it was the last generation where I didn't have to update my console to play games.  I am not sure why that matters, I mean it shouldn't... but for some reason, for me, it just does.

shootingstar1

Postby shootingstar1 » March 25th, 2015, 9:59 pm

I remember the GC.  Maybe it didn't have the big releases like GTA, but I have a lot of great memories playing the system. I liked the controller myself, it molded to my hands perfectly but then again I have tiny hands...

I remember when Super Mario Sunshine came out, I couldn't believe how realistic the water looked. Also loved Metroid Prime, the Mega Man collections introduced me to those great games, and Ikaruga was the first real scrolling shooter I ever played.  Yes, while the other kids were playing GTA and Halo, I was playing Ikaruga. I had quite odd tastes as a kid.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 26th, 2015, 1:19 am

Wow. A very old thread!

I actually just started playing Metroid Prime again in the last month and that game still looks amazing. Some of the best graphics on any pre-HD system. Of course it's an amazing game to boot, but I was shocked at how amazing the game still looks 13 years after the fact.

I don't get love people have for the GCN controller. I think it's simply "okay," but I'd take the PS2 controller over it every day. I do agree with some of the previous years' posters that the GameCube is underrated. It's a great system and I greatly prefer it to Nintendo's far more successful Wii.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » March 26th, 2015, 2:04 am

I also love the name, as it's probably the least pretentious name ever. It's exactly what the name says: It's a cube that plays games.

Really, about the only thing I don't like are the memory cards, and aside from the Dreamcast VMU, I don't like memory cards period. Does anyone know if there are any modded GCNs with a hard drive?

Return to “Classic Gaming”