New Nintendo 3DS XL

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Just picked one of these up the other day.  I was going to hold out for the gold one but it was looking less and less likely I could get it for a decent price.  I went with the ruby red and I like the look.

If you're getting one of these you might want to consider getting screen protector right off the bat.  I got the Hori one and they really have the system down so you can apply it without getting a bunch of dust bubbles.

The system does not come with a charger, but the one from my old 3DS works (just plug in the wire).

The "super-stable" 3D is not very stable.  While calibrating it, it kept telling me it wasn't functioning correctly.  I had to hold this system almost vertically to get it to work.  The fact that I was wearing reading glasses probably didn't help.  Once I started playing a game it seemed to work fine.

I played Super Smash Bros and I think I like it a lot.  It doesn't look as good as the Wii U (characters look flat) but I like how it caters to the solo player with different modes.  The little nub lets you unleash special attacks but I don't like how it feels.  The bigger screen does help a lot.

I like how the start and select buttons are actual buttons now, but the power button is really tiny and I don't like that.  It's kind of hard to push.

Anyway now that I got the new system hopefully I'll be able to bang out some new 3DS reviews soon.

scotland171

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby scotland171 » March 26th, 2015, 12:26 am

Why are gamers okay with this?

Its a $200 luxury upgrade - it triggers a comparison to the Genesis 32x. Its adds a few bells and whistles, and will play a small library of additional games beyond what your existing 3DS, or 3DS XL, or 2DS already plays. That it lacks a charger demonstrates that like the 32x, the target audience are not new recruits, but existing customers going for the upgrade.

I know Ninty has a history of upgading their portables, but some of those were substantial...GBC over GB, or the backlit clamshell SP over the GBA, etc. Yes, consoles can get variants too, especially as tech gets cheaper, but the libraries do not diverge - sometimes later variants are less desirable.

This new variant...its like a new year model car with a few new cup holders over last years model.

To make another variant is one thing, but that this variant has exclusive games seems less driven by innovation as much as a board meeting involving leveraging an install base.

If that tax refund is murmuring in your ear to be spent on video gaming, and you already own a low mileage 2DS, 3DS, or a 3DS XL ...why would you not buy something else instead?

Vexer1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Vexer1 » March 26th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Yeah, Nintendo is really bad with this, a handheld needing a new version just to play certain games is unheard of, and the name is worse then the Gizmondo, I mean "New" 3DS?  Seriously?  Nintendo is truly out of ideas at this point.  

At this point i've played every 3DS game that interested me and none of the upcoming ones look that great, so last week I ended up trading in my 3DS.

Bluenote1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Bluenote1 » March 26th, 2015, 2:06 pm

The new 3d on the 3ds is really the big sell.  The 3d on the old version was awful, as soon as you moved your hands slightly it would go out of focus.  The new one fixes his perfectly, it really is awesome.  It will make you want to replay your 3ds games with the 3d slider up.

ptdebate1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby ptdebate1 » March 26th, 2015, 2:50 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]If that tax refund is murmuring in your ear to be spent on video gaming, and you already own a low mileage 2DS, 3DS, or a 3DS XL ...why would you not buy something else instead? [/QUOTE]

Very good point. I was thinking about shelling out for the Majora's Mask 3DS today since it came back in stock at Gamestop, but then realized that I could put that money towards a PC instead.

Sut1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Sut1 » March 26th, 2015, 4:06 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]I mean "New" 3DS?  Seriously?  Nintendo is truly out of ideas at this point. [/QUOTE]

Completely agree, have they learned nothing from the Wii U ? As Scotland alluded to there is a baffling array of Nintendo portables being sold presently. Unless your into Nintendo you wouldn't have a clue what's what.

Surely 3DS SP or something would have been better than 'new' 3DS. I remember reading an article years ago about how brilliant Nintendo were at cannibalising their own user base, enticing them to move from Game Boy to Advance to DS to 3DS. Now not so much.

Oltobaz1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 26th, 2015, 4:26 pm

From what I understand, it's selling well though (I got one). Maybe "New 3DS " sounds cooler than "Wii u". Maybe that's all there is to it, names, despite
Wii U being a full fledged new console. I'm guessing the 3DS brand never suffered the casual image the Wii did, or perhaps not to the same extent

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 26th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I bought it mainly for the super-stable 3D feature, since I always had a problem maintaining the 3D effect on the smaller screen (I previously only had the original model).  

Also, the bigger screen is a major plus since my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.

Atarifever1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Atarifever1 » March 27th, 2015, 5:33 am

Well, whatever the case it is selling well.  I dislike the name, but before anyone gets too upset, ask yourself if Nintendo is the only company you can think of making modest upgrades to a piece of handheld technology, that remains backwards compatible, but changes some little feature and makes a big fuss about it, and then sells out the shiny new version all over the place.  Hmm.  Who else does that sound like?  I was against this point of view originally, but with the new partnership (and big investment in) mobile, free to play games on their systems, and DLC in their products, I think maybe Nintendo is deciding that if you can't beat em, you should join em.

I would not be 100% surprised if their next handheld has numbered iterations.  

Vexer1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Vexer1 » March 27th, 2015, 7:00 pm

It's not the minor changes that bother people, but the confusing names that make purchasing one more a hassle for the average person who hasn't kept track of all the different versions then it should be, hell there are people that still don't know that the Wii U is a new console and not just a Wii add-on or something like that, so you can imagine how confused some people are going to get with a title like "New" 3DS.

Return to “Modern Gaming”