2015/3/27: Playstation 2: Micro Machines, Time Crisis: Crisis Zone, Micro Machines V4

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/3/27: Playstation 2: Micro Machines, Time Crisis: Crisis Zone, Micro Machines V4

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 27th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Leave your comments about this latest set of PS2 reviews.

shootingstar1

Postby shootingstar1 » March 27th, 2015, 7:02 pm

There was a local arcade near me that had a Crisis Zone arcade machine.  I loved Crisis Zone, thought it was a lot of fun.  It was quite fun to destroy the environments. I didn't think it took very long to kill the normal enemies at all, in fact I thought there was quite a difference in how fast you could mow them down compared to normal Time Crisis.  Of course, the arcade version also came with a booming sound system and a light gun that vibrated as you fired, which probably adds a lot to the game that the PS2 version lacks.

Also worth noting that the arcade cabinet I played on was only one player, I don't know if this was the case for all the Crisis Zone cabinets, but it would explain why the PS2 version has no 2 player mode.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 28th, 2015, 11:47 am

I had never played any of the micro machine games until about six months ago and since then I've picked up the NES, Genesis, and N64 titles. Those games are excellent and have a really strong "one more race" feeling. I ended up playing the Genesis version for several hours straight and I really enjoyed it. It's sad to hear how the series had gone down hill. It sounds like they were trying to do too much.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 28th, 2015, 12:36 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]I had never played any of the micro machine games until about six months ago and since then I've picked up the NES, Genesis, and N64 titles. Those games are excellent and have a really strong "one more race" feeling. I ended up playing the Genesis version for several hours straight and I really enjoyed it. It's sad to hear how the series had gone down hill. It sounds like they were trying to do too much.[/QUOTE]

The Genesis version is one of the few I haven't tried.  Looks like that one deserves my attention.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » March 28th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Crisis Zone actually came between Time Crisis 2 and 3.  It certainly wasn't as popular as the other games and should only be considered a spinoff.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic][QUOTE=Rev]I had never played any of the micro machine games until about six months ago and since then I've picked up the NES, Genesis, and N64 titles. Those games are excellent and have a really strong "one more race" feeling. I ended up playing the Genesis version for several hours straight and I really enjoyed it. It's sad to hear how the series had gone down hill. It sounds like they were trying to do too much.[/QUOTE]

The Genesis version is one of the few I haven't tried.  Looks like that one deserves my attention.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. The graphics aren't that much of a step up from the NES game but it is pretty addictive. MM is all about the gameplay anyway and that one is pretty solid.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » March 28th, 2015, 11:02 pm

I can only imagine how a home version of Crisis Zone plays. It was only 1 player in the arcade. I tried for years to get a 5.6 million score on a credit, finally accomplished in 2002.

Definitely check out the Micro Machines on Genesis. It's better than the NES!

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 29th, 2015, 2:19 am

Critic, you failed to mention the biggest flaw of Time Crisis: Crisis Zone and why so many fans of the series didn't like it. 

It's the fact that the whole screen constantly flashes bright white during gunfire which makes it both hard on your eyes and difficult to follow the on-screen action.  

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2015, 11:07 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Critic, you failed to mention the biggest flaw of Time Crisis: Crisis Zone and why so many fans of the series didn't like it. 

It's the fact that the whole screen constantly flashes bright white during gunfire which makes it both hard on your eyes and difficult to follow the on-screen action.  
[/QUOTE]

Weekend Warrior - Excellent point!  I will update the review with this.
Thanks!

mbd361

Postby mbd361 » March 30th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Your grade for "Micro Machines" seems harsh when the review is mostly positive. Your only complaint seems to be the initial confusion in telling apart the vehicles in a multi-player race.

Return to “Review Feedback”