Stupidest Anti-Gaming Accusations?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » April 3rd, 2015, 9:22 am

I'd wager we all probably know at least one of those people who hate video games and will give you thousands of reasons as to why we should throw them all in the trash and do other things with our lives. What are some of the stupidest reasons or accusations you've heard? For me, my parents weren't exactly anti-gaming, but they wouldn't let me play shooting games for the longest time because they bought into the whole "it teaches kids to murder in real life" shtick.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » April 3rd, 2015, 5:27 pm

Any thing expressed by Anita Sarkeesian or her master Josh McIntosh.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » April 3rd, 2015, 5:27 pm

My mom had this one rule for R-rated movies when I was 13-15, she didn't care if I watched creature films like the Alien series, but she didn't want me watching stuff like Friday the 13th since it had people killing other people, my parents were also hesitant about me getting Soulcalibur since I was only 12 at the time(luckily my cousin got it for me as a Christmas present), but aside from that they didn't seem to pay much attention to the games I was playing, my mom didn't mind going with me to GAmestop so I could pick up M-rated games like Quake 4 and Perfect Dark Zero.

My dad used to spout that lame statement about how video games desensitize you to real violence,  but he never actually bothered trying to stop me from playing them and he eventually must've realized what he was saying was utter nonsense, cause I haven't heard him say that in a long time.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 3rd, 2015, 6:26 pm

Probably the stupidest argument I've heard was that video games make people into killers. I was playing GTA when I was like 12 and I haven't killed anyone... yet.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 4th, 2015, 3:50 am

When I was young my dad used to think playing games would ruin my eyesight (don't know what sort of games he thought I was playing!). So for a while he restricted my playing time to just over an hour. Problem was I had a ZX Spectrum at the time and some of the more complex 128k games could take 10-15 minutes to load !
Fortunately once I'd eventually convinced him it's no different to watching TV, he relented as long as I wasn't on it all the time.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » April 4th, 2015, 8:49 am

[QUOTE=Sut]When I was young my dad used to think playing games would ruin my eyesight (don't know what sort of games he thought I was playing!). So for a while he restricted my playing time to just over an hour. Problem was I had a ZX Spectrum at the time and some of the more complex 128k games could take 10-15 minutes to load ! Fortunately once I'd eventually convinced him it's no different to watching TV, he relented as long as I wasn't on it all the time.[/QUOTE]

A whole hour? Lucky!  Haha, my parents limited me to 30 minutes a day.  Yeah, try making any serious progress in Final Fantasy in half an hour.  More often than not, the timer went off in the middle of a cutscene (right after a really hard boss fight, too), and off it went.  No time to save [tongue]

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 4th, 2015, 11:20 am

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]A whole hour? Lucky!  Haha, my parents limited me to 30 minutes a day.  Yeah, try making any serious progress in Final Fantasy in half an hour.  More often than not, the timer went off in the middle of a cutscene (right after a really hard boss fight, too), and off it went.  No time to save [tongue][/QUOTE]

Haha wouldn't have stood a chance with the Metal Gear Solid games then!

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 4th, 2015, 1:44 pm

One day my brother and I stayed up playing Star Ocean: The Second Story way after bedtime. My dad got mad and actually broke the CD ROM. I still had disk 1, but because he broke disk 2, it would be a long, long time before we actually got another copy and could finish the game.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » April 4th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Gentlegamer- They are not "anti-gamer", that is complete and utter BS, and spare me the "master" nonsense.

Anyways my parents didn't limit my game time, they just insisted I do my chores/homework first.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » April 4th, 2015, 8:45 pm

I agree with how ridiculous it was to imply that violent video games would make someone commit terrible acts of violence. I remember when Columbine happened they made a big stink about it. If anything, these games act as a way to get your aggression out nonviolently. Although, to be honest, games these days are awfully realistic and it can get creepy seeing some of the ways you dispatch your enemies.

Return to “Video Games General”